Evadd's .308 AR build

Evadd

NES Member
Well, I'm slow. Started this assembly literally about a year ago. I got held up by a lack of vise blocks (I decided to use 2x6's with cardboard, which worked great), a reluctance to drill into my barrel nut for the carbon fiber fore-end, and losing my AR wrench (borrowed from Dreadedtrash).

Specs:
Quentin Defense billet upper and lower
DPMS 18" fluted bull barrel (made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good)
DPMS Carbon fiber free float handguard (extra panther for extra goodness)
Command Arms Accessories collapsible stock (pinned for nanny stated-safeness)
7.62 Industries nickel boron BCG (fly-by-night company that popped up during the post-Newtown crazy time)
Bravo Company Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
CMC 3.5# flat trigger
Muzzle brake by Ross Schuler http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooters/RossMuzzleBrakes.htm
UTG 3-9x32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO RGB Scope

20140803_192900_resized_zps648c2e2e.jpg

20140803_192934_resized_zpsddd22528.jpg

20140803_193001_resized_zps587c5d23.jpg

Adjustable chin rest on the CAA stock.
20140803_193147_resized_zps606a4911.jpg

The DPMS instructions call for the CF handguard to be glued onto the barrel nut. Doing that means that in order to take it down, you have to break the handguard. I didn't like that option, so I tapped holes and screwed it on. I plan on putting two more to spread out the tension, but it's pretty darn solid with the 3 so far.
20140803_193202_resized_zpsbb97967d.jpg

The muzzle brake is an absolutely perfect diameter match for the barrel, but the crush washer unfortunately makes a little gap.
20140803_193410_resized_zps7e6400f1.jpg

Looks great, how does it shoot?
I plan on finding out this week. I just finished it today.

Nice stick.

Love the looks of that muzzle brake.
Yeah, it's one of my favorite parts. Was only about $50, too.

[cerberus];4060116 said:
I am not usually jealous of other peoples guns, but wow This is something I really want.
Thanks!

Range time will tell. My crappy 762 BCG give me problem after 3-4 rds. I got no headspace problem. I hate the machine tool mark & NiB coating that flake off.

Love the build. [grin]

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Looks great!
Thanks.

Was excessive headspace the issue? I thought it wasn't closing on a gauge?
I think we're saying the same thing. As far as I know, some people had issues with not enough headspace - that it wouldn't close on a go gauge. Mine closed just fine on a go gauge. I didn't have a no-go gauge, so I couldn't tell if there was excessive headspace, but I'm not too worried about that since others only had issues with too little headspace.

As a fellow m*******, seeing that beauty of a build, i shed a tear when i see the neutered little magazine barely sticking out. I've had turtles that have stuck out further than that.

For a definition of a turtle, its a term i use to explain how bad i have to do a No.2.

Range time will tell. My crappy 762 BCG give me problem after 3-4 rds. I got no headspace problem. I hate the machine tool mark & NiB coating that flake off.

Love the build. [grin]

Sent from my Tinfoil hat
Thanks. I've cycled it a couple dozen times, but we'll see what happens when it's under pressure and moving fast. That's assuming the rifle even functions. [laugh]

As a fellow m*******, seeing that beauty of a build, i shed a tear when i see the neutered little magazine barely sticking out. I've had turtles that have stuck out further than that.

For a definition of a turtle, its a term i use to explain how bad i have to do a No.2.
I agree. It looks pathetic.

Nice, something I've wanted to build myself but...... Waiting for the range report, want to hear how it shot and your thoughts on that muzzle brake after the fact. Nice job on that, it's just gotta be a sweet shooter.

Thanks.

I think we're saying the same thing. As far as I know, some people had issues with not enough headspace - that it wouldn't close on a go gauge. Mine closed just fine on a go gauge. I didn't have a no-go gauge, so I couldn't tell if there was excessive headspace, but I'm not too worried about that since others only had issues with too little headspace.

I wouldn't be too concerned either, but if you did want to check, put two pieces of scotch tape on your go gauge and then see if it goes into battery.

Looks good, will look better with flames shooting out that comp!

Back
Top Bottom