Even my permits have permits

I just started reloading. According to the laws/regs I am limited to a whopping 1,000 primers and two pounds of powder in my apartment without a permit. Given the propensity for home invasion by the police and unannounced inspections by the board of health I don't think I can get away with keeping more around. With the permit I am allowed 10,000 primers and up to 48 pounds of smokeless powder if the fire chief is not an ignorant blockheaded fartknocker (I sorely wish to use my creative scatalogical skills...). Permit was fifty dollars of money I don't have for this BS, they could charge twenty five dollars but they want to steal every dollar they legally can.

The permit I got from this moron restricts me to five pounds of smokeless powder, this means I am EXTREMELY limited when it comes to quantity, loading multiple brands of powder rifle/pistol etc. and economy in purchasing an 8 pound container.

His reason? Because blackpowder is restricted by law to five pounds and he wants to standardize across the board. I could not convince him that this was unnecessary nor that my hardship was reason enough for him to reconsider. He also wants me to follow the storage regs for blackpowder for my smokeless powder.

He filled out the permit incorrectly, writing that I should follow 527CMR 13.11 (5) which applies to blackpowder not smokeless in the restrictions section. He did not put the 5lbs restriction in the restrictions section, it is in the "for" section.

The information from GOAL seems out of date according to my reading of:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/dfs/osfm/cmr/527013.pdf
1117061048.jpg

Last edited:
13.11: Small Arms Ammunition and Primers, Smokeless Propellants, and Black Powder
(1) Basic Requirements.
(a) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the transportation and storage of small arms ammunition, primers and components, smokeless propellants and black powder.
(b) In addition to all other applicable requirements of 527 CMR 13.00, intrastate transporta-tion of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.
(c) 527 CMR 13.11 shall apply to the channels of distribution of and to the users of small arms ammunition, small arms primers, smokeless propellants, and black powder.
(d) 527 CMR 13.11 shall not apply to in-process storage and interplant transportation during manufacture.
(2) Small Arms Ammunition.
(a) No restrictions shall be imposed on the interstate transportation of small arms ammuni-tion other than those imposed by the U.S. Department of Transportation or by other hazardous materials regulations.
(b) Quantity limitations may be imposed by the head of the local fire department on the storage of small arms ammunition in warehouses, retail stores, and other occupancies by the limitations of the storage facility and by 527 CMR 13.00.
(c) Small arms ammunition shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Depart-ment of Transportation as flammable or combustible liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 15 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one hour.
(d) Small arms ammunition shall not be stored together with explosives unless the storage facility is suitable for the storage of explosives.
(e) Small arms ammunition that has been exposed to fire or damaged by exposure to water shall not be returned to commercial channels for reasons of consumer safety. The manufacturer shall be contacted to obtain recommendations for disposal of damaged ammunition.
(3) Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(a) Small arms ammunition primers shall be transported, kept, or stored in containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
(b) Transportation of small arms ammunition primers shall comply with U.S. Department of Transportation Regulations.
(c) No more than 5,000 small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in a private vehicle.
(d) No more than 5,000 small arms primers shall be stored in residences.
(e) No more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be placed on display in commercial establishments.
(f) Commercial stocks of small arms primers shall be stored as follows:
1. Quantities not exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if not more than 100,000 are stored in any one pile and piles are at least 15 feet apart.
2. Quantities exceeding 750,000 may be stored in a building if the following conditions are met:
a. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.
b. Primers shall be stored in cabinets. No more than 200,000 primers shall be stored in any one cabinet.
c. Shelves in cabinets shall have vertical separation of at least two feet.
d. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the warehouse or storage room with at least 40 feet between cabinets.
e. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 20 feet if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least ten feet outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of ¼-inch boiler plate, two-inch thick wood, brick, or concrete block.
f. Primers shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one hour.
UNOFFICIAL COPY
527 CMR: BOARD OF FIRE PREVENTION REGULATIONS
2/20/03 527 CMR - 172.27
13.11: continued
g. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed according to 780 CMR, the Massachusetts Building Code and NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.
(g) Small arms primers not stored according to 527 CMR 13.11(3)(a) or (b) shall be stored in a Type 4 magazine constructed and located according to 527 CMR 13.00.
The quote.

(4) Smokeless Propellants.
(a) Transportation of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 lbs in a private vehicle, shall be transported in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
(b) Transportation of quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lbs but not exceed-ing 48 lbs, in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least one inch nominal thickness, and permitted by the Marshal in accordance with 527 CMR 13.04(6).
(c) Transportation of more than 48 lbs. of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle is prohibited.
(e) Smokeless propellants shall be stored in original shipping containers specified by U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.
(f) Smokeless propellants intended for private use in quantities not exceeding 48 lbs stored in residences shall be kept in the original manufacturers container or in a wooden box or cabinet having wooden walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness. All smokeless propellants stored in private residences shall be stored in the original containers; such containers shall be secured in a locked cabinet, closet, or box when not in use.
(g) Smokeless propellants intended for sale in quantities not exceeding 25 lbs, stored in original manufacturers containers of one lbs maximum capacity, may be displayed in commercial establishments without a permit from the head of the local fire department.
(h) Commercial stocks of smokeless propellants shall be stored as follows:
1. Quantities exceeding 25 lbs, but not exceeding 100 lbs, shall be stored in portable wooden boxes having walls of at least one-inch thickness.
Smokeless propellants of 100 pounds or less kept for sale in a building or structure shall be stored in a box or cabinet with wooden walls at least one inch thick. The box or cabinet shall be plainly marked "GUNPOWDER" and shall be kept locked at all times except when necessary to gain access and shall be located on the first floor of the building or structure and shall not be more than ten feet from an exit door.
2. Quantities exceeding 100 lbs, but not exceeding 800 lbs, shall be stored in original manufacturers containers in non portable storage cabinets having walls of at least one inches thickness. Not more than 400 lbs may be stored in any one cabinet, and cabinets shall be separated by a distance of an least 25 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one hour.
3. Quantities exceeding 800 lbs, but not exceeding 5,000 lbs, may be stored in a building if the following requirements are met:
a. The warehouse or storage room shall not be accessible to unauthorized personnel.
b. Smokeless propellant shall be stored in non portable storage cabinets having wood walls at least one inch thick and having shelves with no more than three feet separation between shelves.
c. No more than 400 lbs shall be stored in any one cabinet.
d. Cabinets shall be located against walls of the storage room or warehouse with at least 40 feet between cabinets.
e. Separation between cabinets may be reduced to 20 feet if barricades twice the height of the cabinets are attached to the wall, midway between each cabinet. The barricades shall extend at least ten feet outward, shall be firmly attached to the wall, and shall be constructed of ¼ inch boiler plate, two inches thick wood, brick, or concrete block.
f. Smokeless propellant shall be separated from materials classified by the U.S. Department of Transportation as flammable liquids, flammable solids, and oxidizing materials by a distance of 25 feet or by a fire partition having a fire resistance of at least one hour.
g. The building shall be protected by an automatic sprinkler system installed according to 780 CMR, the Massachusetts State Building Code and NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.
UNOFFICIAL COPY
2/20/03 527 CMR - 172.28
13.11: continued
(i) Smokeless propellants not stored according to 527 CMR 13.11(1), (2), and (3) shall be stored in a type 4 magazine constructed and located according to 527 CMR 13.00.
Rest of it

Goal seems to have the number of primers allowed incorrect, and they don't mention that you need to secure the powder. This is the type of thing my landlord would jump at to evict me. I no longer feel any personal security with all these laws on the books...

Last edited:
Sounds like you paid for additional restrictions and not a permit for more.... sucks.
Nope, I was limited to two pounds of powder and 1,000 primers before the permit.

With the permit I am allowed 5 pounds and 10,000 primers. When my management company comes to do another unannounced invasion they will see that I have the permit posted and they will be less likely to get away with further libel.

I see the problem, I was comparing two different sections of the law. I was also reading it incorrectly, still haven't sorted out the requirement for secure storage of powder.

13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates
(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:
(a) Small Arms Ammunition
1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.
3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers
1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.
(c) Smokeless Propellants
1. Not more than 16 pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(d) Black Powder
1. Not more than two pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.
(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives.
UNOFFICIAL COPY
2/20/03 527 CMR - 161
13.04: continued
(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;
(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.
1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammuni-tion.
3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use. Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.
(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use
Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use
1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(f) Smokeless Propellants: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100 pounds smokeless propellant.
(g) Black Powder: Private Use
1. Not to exceed five pounds of black powder.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of black powder stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such black powder shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(h) Black Powder: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 50 pounds of black powder.

Last edited:
Ya know what you should do adweisbe? Find a really nice frame, maybe matt it too with a cool color, and put it in a place of prominance.

You poor guy.....

I'm sorry. I'm really not trying to be facetious... but isn't this permit more restrictive than the current laws without a permit?

Possession of powder, primers and ammo in apartment buildings is a tenuous thing. The CMRs allow for a LOT of restrictions on quantities, much more so than single-family houses.

The quantities (up to the max listed in the CMRs) can be restricted at the sole discretion of the fire chief.

Possession of powder, primers and ammo in apartment buildings is a tenuous thing. The CMRs allow for a LOT of restrictions on quantities, much more so than single-family houses.

The quantities (up to the max listed in the CMRs) can be restricted at the sole discretion of the fire chief.

Thanks LenS

I am thinking that because this permit does not mention primers that it would not be good should someone try to harass or cite me. :-( I am worried that I need to try and get him to amend it to include primers or specifically mention the correct part of the farking law. With this permit I have no idea what I have and whether it is good for anything. The permit had two parts, the top that I filled out and he kept, and the bottom that he filled out incorrectly. I specifically mentioned primers in the top part but he makes no mention of it in the bottom part.

Back
Top Bottom