• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ever order a gun part, forget, and order it again? And again?

Finally started an inventory of the "parts shelves". I built a Harbor Freight "woodworking" bench. Has a big 60" x 20" work surface, 4 drawers, bottom shelf. $120, took about 3 hours to assemble solo. Weighs about 110 pounds assembled, solid piece. Now I have a workbench in the basement, gonna use it for gun cleaning.

So I decided to clean up the shelves, get a handle on what I have. Found the two DTOM/Gadsden lowers. Then I found the Anderson. Found the Lantac BCG I bought a couple of weeks ago. Then the two I bought from AIM Surplus a year ago. Then the one I bought from PSA. Then the Magpul lower build kit. And the OTHER one. And the assorted random lower build parts. And the two IMI charging handles. And the OTHER two. And the BCM gunfighter handle. And the complete build kit minus receiver. And the complete upper. And there's an upper on the way cuz cheap and why not? So far I've found 2 trigger kits and five, FIVE, spare firing pins. And so many baggies with springs and parts and pins I damn near filled a 6"x8" box. And two complete buffer tube kits.

In addition to the four Pinty red dots, I have a Romeo & Juliet NIB and a Romeo 7 also NIB. and two sets of Magpul BUIS's.

I think the only thing to do is say "Hi, my name is Radtekk and I'm a gun-parts-a-holic."

Now you know when something breaks you absolutely know you have that part or even multiples of it somewhere. Just not where you thought it was thou. I opened an ammo can that had some double reloading press parts and an electronic scale or two in it , and don’t you know there was about 10 or 12 little brown Manila parts envelopes in there, I don’t remember ever putting that stuff in there.

Last edited:
Once or twice - my favorite is the garden/outdoor items. I have 2, $60 deck belts now, about 3 filter changes chain saw bars and chains in greater quantity than I have used since 1994.

I have the same sickness you do!

I only have a couple guns - but parts...

Tons of parts.

I figure I can only shoot one gun at a time.

I'm hoarding the parts for a Civil War type scenario where the laws on technical characteristics wont matter.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what do people do to avoid it? some kind of invetory sofware or phone app?

Parts? I do that with guns, and I didn’t forget shit, I just wanted more.

Extra parts are just incomplete guns. Find a roll pin on the ground? That’s an AR missing a few parts. Score!

The only problem I have worse than picking up every bit scrap metal I find and figuring out what it wants to be, is boating accidents.

So many boating accidents…

It’s a shame really.

I ordered some grips for a 92FS, forgot where I put them. Finally ordered a second set. Found the original set a couple months later.

I’m guilty of it. Especially small parts, or you wind up ordering some kind of kit and only using parts out of it and then you say things like “I know I have that part somewhere”

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what do people do to avoid it? some kind of invetory sofware or phone app?
Sell them in the classifieds? A few of my "extras" are from there...

I ordered some grips for a 92FS, forgot where I put them. Finally ordered a second set. Found the original set a couple months later.
I have mags for my Jericho like that...

And when that part arrives, I put it exactly where I’ll never lose it - right next to the part I couldn’t find...🤨
So THAT'S how you find them...

My wife does this at the grocery store. Sometimes we have 4 jars of mayo because she can't recall that she checked and we didn't need mayo. "Dammit. I think we need it. Better get some."

I used to do it with newsgroups back in the early days of the internet. "Oh yeah. This guy. I know that name. He's. . . . oh wait. That guy is a tool. Dammit. If there was only an IGNORE function."

I don't forget I already ordered/bought it so much as I forget where I put it when I am finally ready to do the work and buy another one so I can finish the project.

Luckily I know most of them will get used eventually.

My wife does this at the grocery store. Sometimes we have 4 jars of mayo because she can't recall that she checked and we didn't need mayo. "Dammit. I think we need it. Better get some."

I used to do it with newsgroups back in the early days of the internet. "Oh yeah. This guy. I know that name. He's. . . . oh wait. That guy is a tool. Dammit. If there was only an IGNORE function."
That's not even cose to what I found a couple weeks ago,,, I'm over to my friends house cutting doors to fit after she had new carpet installed in her bedroom, on the back of one of the doors is this plastic hanging thing you put shoes in. Four of the rows are filled with matching left and right shoes. THEN the bottom row has one left red shoe two empty spaces and one black right hand shoe, I was like WTF is this. she answers me with I broke the heel on the red other shoee and The strap on the other black shoe wore out. SO WHY the hell are you saving an odd shoe with no mate? She says I might find some that match somewhere! I was like BUT then they will be a pair, and you'll have 3 shoes then. Sometimes I don't think men were ever supposed to be able to understand what goes thru their minds.

Last edited:
Finally started an inventory of the "parts shelves". I built a Harbor Freight "woodworking" bench. Has a big 60" x 20" work surface, 4 drawers, bottom shelf. $120, took about 3 hours to assemble solo. Weighs about 110 pounds assembled, solid piece. Now I have a workbench in the basement, gonna use it for gun cleaning.

So I decided to clean up the shelves, get a handle on what I have. Found the two DTOM/Gadsden lowers. Then I found the Anderson. Found the Lantac BCG I bought a couple of weeks ago. Then the two I bought from AIM Surplus a year ago. Then the one I bought from PSA. Then the Magpul lower build kit. And the OTHER one. And the assorted random lower build parts. And the two IMI charging handles. And the OTHER two. And the BCM gunfighter handle. And the complete build kit minus receiver. And the complete upper. And there's an upper on the way cuz cheap and why not? So far I've found 2 trigger kits and five, FIVE, spare firing pins. And so many baggies with springs and parts and pins I damn near filled a 6"x8" box. And two complete buffer tube kits.

In addition to the four Pinty red dots, I have a Romeo & Juliet NIB and a Romeo 7 also NIB. and two sets of Magpul BUIS's.

I think the only thing to do is say "Hi, my name is Radtekk and I'm a gun-parts-a-holic."
I find gun stuff all the time that I forgot about. Sometimes I look at the item and say when the hell did I buy this? I'm embarrassed to say that I also ended up with two Gen4 G19s. [laugh]

I can see the online article now:

"You'll never believe what we found in this one NES'rs "little shop of horrors", number 7 will make you shit your pants and 8 will have you donating to Every Town"

at least those parts stay. wine just gets drinken and all that`s left is an empty bottle with no real value at all, only some highly sentimental feeling, at best.
it means you need more place to re-organize the storage. i lost my ammo situation out of control and kept re-ordering certain things i apparently already had cases of. it is a bit annoying, when you finally sort it out and put all in a row, especially considering how prices are going down.

Back
Top Bottom