• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

I got back my form saying I didn't put in my SSN. I called the number and the guy on the phone said without that they couldn't do a full background check. So I asked him if he was basically telling me that if I wanted the license I would need to supply the SSN and he replied yes. So much for the optional:confused:

I got back my form saying I didn't put in my SSN. I called the number and the guy on the phone said without that they couldn't do a full background check. So I asked him if he was basically telling me that if I wanted the license I would need to supply the SSN and he replied yes. So much for the optional:confused:

Ask him for his name. and then ask for his supervisor. A SSN is not required.
There are a lot of contractors working in the ATF licensing division right now to help with the overflow. Some are not very knowledgable. Others are excellent.
But none of them have any actual authority.

Don

I guess they repealed the "Right to Privacy Act of 1974", 5 USC 552a??

BTW, it was not required when I got my C&R in 1999 and never asked for upon renewal. And that is why the form says "optional" . . . it is not required. Bureaucrats are requiring it on their own (probably mid-level management) with no understanding of the above law.

For those that actually run background checks (not desk jockeys) they KNOW a SSN is NOT required to actually run background checks!

Its the same discount dealers get.

How do I know? I had a C&R FFL before I got my manufacturers FFL and the pricing didn't change when I got the 07 FFL. Of course I could then buy lowers and complete firearms, nothing else was affected.

Don

So how did getting the 07 affect your 03? Any extra paperwork (other than running a NICS check when you buy something that you want personally)?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It didn't. Of course, I never bought any C&R eligible firearms from myself while I had my 03.

If I had, and I transferred a C&R eligible firearm from my business to my personal collection, I'd have booked it out of the business and booked into the collector A&D book.

Now that I have the 07, I am very careful to make sure that if I buy anything interstate or sell anything from my personal collection it always goes back into the 07 book. You don't ever want to make it look like you are transferring something into your personal collection with the intent of avoiding a 4473 and a NICS check.

I sent mine in on 24 April and called today; check cashed on 29 April, license approved yesterday, they're sending it to me tomorrow. The nice lady on the phone said I was "very fortunate to get this approval," as she told me they were usually running 90-100 days.

I got my dealer catalog from Rock River Arms today. Just in case anyone is wondering how good the discount is if you're planning to build an AR, the discount on the LPK and stock alone will more than cover the cost of the C&R license and the difference for the upper I'm looking at is $170. With the dealer prices and the receiver I already have, I'm going to complete my build for just over $500.

I have a strange question, but this is more of a thought experiment than a real practical question.

Can a married couple receive a single C&R FFL as a "partnership"?

Some of this is MA specific.
  • The ATF Form (http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf) allows an individual, a corporation, a partnership or "other" to apply.
  • A "partnership" is not defined in federal statutes, rather it's up to the individual states:
    • The federal government of the United States does not have specific statutory law governing the establishment of partnerships. Instead, each of the fifty states as well as the District of Columbia has its own statutes and common law that govern partnerships. These states largely follow general common law principles of partnerships
      (wikipedia)
  • A MA partnership can be formed with little or no effort (?) (How to Form a Partnership in Massachusetts | Nolo.com)
    • If you use your own surnames, you don't need to file for a business name / dba.
    • A written partnership agreement is not a legal requirement.
    • You might need an EIN for the partnership. (?)
    • Since you are not a business you (probably?) don't need any other kind of licenses or permits.

So I guess the question is, can a married couple receive a single C&R FFL and then use it for either of them to buy/sell C&R items? I guess the "partnership" would own the C&R items acquired through this, but I'm not sure if that jives with MA law.

I think the real practical answer is "for $30 savings its not worth the hassle, just apply as individuals"

excited. Filled out my paperwork here at work, will copy and send off in the mail this afternoon. Let's see what happens!

- - - Updated - - -

excited. Filled out my paperwork here at work, will copy and send off in the mail this afternoon. Let's see what happens!

Maybe I missed it but, would a C&R FFL allow me to buy reloading components over the internet and have them shipped to my house in MA?

StevensMarksman

Not any easier than w/o it. It gives you no special privileges as far as Martha's threats to mail-order dealers! Lots won't ship C&R guns to C&R FFLs in MA and some won't ship product to Dealer FFLs in MA either!

ETA: The AG's office in MA is a TERRORIST ORGANIZATION . . . they terrorize everyone who wants to do legal business in MA wrt firearms! It really is that simple and has been that way for the past 3 AGs and likely the next 3 AGs as well! [angry]

Last edited:
Not any easier than w/o it. It gives you no special privileges as far as Martha's threats to mail-order dealers! Lots won't ship C&R guns to C&R FFLs in MA and some won't ship product to Dealer FFLs in MA either!

ETA: The AG's office in MA is a TERRORIST ORGANIZATION . . . they terrorize everyone who wants to do legal business in MA wrt firearms! It really is that simple and has been that way for the past 3 AGs and likely the next 3 AGs as well! [angry]
Dang.[sad2]
Thanks for the info. I guess I figured as much and was just hoping. It's a pitty when you see everything you need at an online store, good prices, stuff in stock, and you can't even think about buying it.

StevensMarksman

Maybe I missed it but, would a C&R FFL allow me to buy reloading components over the internet and have them shipped to my house in MA?

StevensMarksman

Uh. there are plenty of people who will ship to MA. You just need to find them. Don't even ask. As I'm sure you know, this is a public forum. And frankly, with 150 posts and a join date of a month ago, you aren't someone I'd PM that info to either. No offense intended.

Don

So lets say your C&R is in process and expected in the next week or two....
What is the first thing you do (get) to "exercise" it?

Uh. there are plenty of people who will ship to MA. You just need to find them. Don't even ask. As I'm sure you know, this is a public forum. And frankly, with 150 posts and a join date of a month ago, you aren't someone I'd PM that info to either. No offense intended.

Don
LOL no worries. I am a very resourceful person. I have found several companies that will help with my problem. Please, keep that attitude because we don't need Martha finding out our seekrets!! =D

StevensMarksman

A Bound Book!

I finally got my C&R. What do people use for a bound book? I half expected the info to come with one. (Yeah, don't laugh.)

Also, I was excited to create my Midwayusa dealer account, only to find that very few things are actually discounted. I have the Brownells instructor discount already, which is better, but Brownells is already overpriced.

I finally got my C&R. What do people use for a bound book? I half expected the info to come with one. (Yeah, don't laugh.)

Also, I was excited to create my Midwayusa dealer account, only to find that very few things are actually discounted. I have the Brownells instructor discount already, which is better, but Brownells is already overpriced.

Brownells will give you a discount with your FFL03, and their Bound Book is a good deal at $3.00.

So, I have my C&R, now what?

If I purchase a C&R rifle from gunbroker, I log it in the bound book and file an FA-10. Is that the gist of it?

That's about it. No need to put a seller in the form. Just do a registration for out of state.

That is what I thought, just that when dealing with both the government and firearms I get kinda nervous. Just want to stay on the right side of the law. Now to find out WHERE I can order from, that's even more of a mystery

Back
Top Bottom