• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

That is what I thought, just that when dealing with both the government and firearms I get kinda nervous. Just want to stay on the right side of the law. Now to find out WHERE I can order from, that's even more of a mystery

C&R is just about the only good thing in MA that shooters can look forward to. Door to Door service. Keep in mind that Martha's list "o" handguns don't mean too much so long as it is a C&R.

I finally got my C&R. What do people use for a bound book? I half expected the info to come with one. (Yeah, don't laugh.)

Also, I was excited to create my Midwayusa dealer account, only to find that very few things are actually discounted. I have the Brownells instructor discount already, which is better, but Brownells is already overpriced.

Go to Rock River Arms and get a dealer account. You can buy everything but lowers and guns at dealer cost, shipped right to you.

Midway sucks. Shipping is ridiculous. Now that Brownells is selling reloading supplies, theres almost no reason to go to Midway.

Go here: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bound book

for a book. I like the spiral bound one because it lays flat on my desk.

Don

Just want to say thanks for this thread! I'm going for my c&r now. For $30 it will pay for itself on the first purchase. Both dealers I've talked to want $35 for a transfer. Here goes the start of my mosin/sks collection haha. I will try and remember to post back when the license comes so other new guys like myself will know how long it takes. I'm glad that there is one way in Mass to have a little freedom as a gun owner.

Lets say I have my C&R (I've applied, just waiting now). I buy a couple C&R firearms, file my FA-10s. What happens if I let my C&R expire (I don't renew in 3 years). Do I have to do anything with the firearms?

- - - Updated - - -

Lets say I have my C&R (I've applied, just waiting now). I buy a couple C&R firearms, file my FA-10s. What happens if I let my C&R expire (I don't renew in 3 years). Do I have to do anything with the firearms?

You have to ship them to me!

j/k

There is a Federal Law that says that you must enjoy them in this case!

-------

Seriously, you have to do nothing. Just enjoy them.

i went through have the posts in this forum and have three questions...Sorry if already asked
1.if im the only person on the application in other words no partner etc and im a US citizen who was born here do i need to fill out 5330.20?
2 trade or buisness name in section 6 do i just leave blank?
3. because im a citizen born here so were my parents etc do i skip section 10?
also it says to put social security number on money order? i dont have to do that do i
thank you for any help sorry i just figure id be safe than have a delay or need to redo the process Thanks John

LenS I had a question on the Certification of Compliance. If I am the only one on the 7CR form, do I need to fill out the Certification Compliance form as well. I think it is only required for additional people on the 7CR form. Can you confirm? Thanks.

LenS I had a question on the Certification of Compliance. If I am the only one on the 7CR form, do I need to fill out the Certification Compliance form as well. I think it is only required for additional people on the 7CR form. Can you confirm? Thanks.

Always give me a link to a Fed Form, I don't have them memorized and have to go searching for them so I can answer questions. Thanks!

Read the 1st sentence at the top of the form. If you don't fill it out, they will bounce your application. That's as simple as it gets.

This form is a <joke> self-certification that YOU are a US Citizen and that is all that it is (there may be narrow circumstances where they will issue to non-Citizens).

C&R forms are taken from the dealer forms and aren't re-worded properly to reflect that you can not operate as a business, therefore a lot of what is on the form is irrelevant to us (e.g. no business hours, no business name, no "position", etc.). Also Item 4 on the back (instructions) CLEARLY states that SSN is VOLUNTARY but I guess the C&R processing department "didn't get the memo" and will DEMAND IT (illegal) or reject your application . . . I guess nobody has stood up to them yet (when I got my C&R it wasn't even asked for nor on any subsequent renewals).

Last edited:
Just a note...make sure you submit your change of address form 30 days BEFORE you move, if possible. Not sure if this is going to clog up my C&R, submitted the change of address 2 weeks AFTER the move, waiting to get the new license back.

I have the same question as Ivory45 as far as section 10 on the main application ( Nonimmigrant Alien Certification ) http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5310-16.pdf Is that section to be filled out too? I see from the post above, the sole certification form, http://www.atf.gov/files/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf has to be filled out. I have that done but was wondering if we do the same self certification on the main application.

Greg

- - - Updated - - -

Greg,

I'm going to admit that the instructions here could use a "re-work"!!

Here's the key to your question . . . from the last sentence in the header to Q 10:

All nonimmigrant aliens listed in item 9 must complete the following information certifying compliance with 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B).

In this case, I'd put "Not Applicable - US Citizen" (if correct) where it asks the name and bypass the rest of Q 10 (but IANAL).

Since C&R FFLs are issued to individuals AFAIK, there should never be a list of names applying, only 1. That whole form needs re-working IMNSHO. [The form was a lot simpler in 1999 when I got mine and their renewal forms are still a lot simpler than the one new folks need to complete.]

Len, I should have called the number before asking here. Just to confirm what you said, they told me not to bother with that section since I am a US citizen.
I got what sounded like an older woman who sounded like shes been doing that job for a while. For anyone else wondering about what to put down under your position, I was told to put down collector.

Greg

This may be a stupid question... but who is the Chief Law Enforcement officer for Boston? The commissioner?

And what the hell is his address...........?

Ed Davis

and

1 Schroeder Plaza
Boston, MA 02120

I guess.. I'm sure my mail will go straight into the garbage.

Last edited:
Yes it is Ed Davis, that's his title and I think that is the correct address (meaning I don't live in the City but believe this to be accurate).

The likelihood of reaching him directly is about nil.

Curious if anyone has received theirs recently and if so what was the wait time like? Sent in my application on the 10/18, they charged my account on 10/25. Just wondering how long I'm going to be waiting for this.

Sent mine out tonight. Just to be straight on the use, does it matter whether you purchase online or from a shop face to face when it comes to no transfer fee? Say I stop into any shop and see something that qualifies as a C & R, does the transfer fee become void as long as I have my license?

Greg

I had a shop charge me a transfer fee as part of a group buy when I used my c&r

See above! Group Buys means that the shop usually is NOT making any money on the product. So of course they charge a transfer fee to do the paperwork. Quite reasonable IMNSHO and I've also paid that in these cases. If I want to avoid the fee, I can just order ONE myself using my C&R . . . so I weigh the "landed cost" to me before jumping on a group buy. Usually the shipping cost and lack of quantity discount makes the GB worthwhile . . . but sometimes not.

You guys (not Len) seem to be missing a fundamental concept and waaaaaaayyyyyyy overthinking it.

If a gun that is not sold by a shop is routed through a shop, then they expect to get paid for their time and effort. All very reasonable.

The benefit of a C&R is that in some cases the gun can be shipped from an out of state seller directly to you. No shop, no transfer fee.

The other circumstance is if you buy a gun from a local shop. You are buying from them, not just using them for the transfer, so no fee.

Its all pretty obvious. If you want someone to help you with a transaction, they get paid. If you buy something from someone, they make money on the sale and don't charge you to do the transaction.

I had sent my application in around September 10th and just yesterday my FFL arrived! Woohoo!!

The shutdown backed up all new applications as the people doing the processing on those were furloughed. When I called last week to check on it, they said they were still evaluating how behind they were and to check back this week to see if they had an estimate. I was told mine was in the background check stage when I spoke to them last week so I was pretty surprised to see it arrive yesterday. I have to wonder if my top secret clearance got me thru the background check quickly, I'd have to think it would help.

Back
Top Bottom