EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Of course, check it before firing it, but there's more than one way to see if it's safe to fire. You probably don't want to hear what I doo_O.
I use good quality factory ammo because the brass is about the correct size. All I do to check headspace is take a new factory cartridge (if I'm at home I pull the bullet) and put a piece of Scotch Tape on its butt and see if the bolt closes easily. I keep adding a layer of tape until the bolt shows some reluctance to close, then I peel and measure the thickness of the tape. Now I know the excess headspace with a factory cartridge. If I have more than about 0.006" or 0.007" headspace on a 30-06 I would get a gauge and check it properly. SAAMI specs say max length brass is 0.0061" shorter than a max length chamber, so it's unlikely I'll get in trouble using my tape shim method, especially since the cartridge makers try to stay right in the middle of the tolerances so I'll probably never get a max length cartridge.

BTW, you can get the full SAAMI ammo specifications here

Last edited:
Of course, check it before firing it, but there's more than one way to see if it's safe to fire. You probably don't want to hear what I doo_O.
I use good quality factory ammo because the brass is about the correct size. All I do to check headspace is take a new factory cartridge (if I'm at home I pull the bullet) and put a piece of Scotch Tape on its butt and see if the bolt closes easily. I keep adding a layer of tape until the bolt shows some reluctance to close, then I peel and measure the thickness of the tape. Now I know the excess headspace with a factory cartridge. If I have more than about 0.006" or 0.007" headspace on a 30-06 I would get a gauge and check it properly. SAAMI specs say max length brass is 0.0061" shorter than a max length chamber, so it's unlikely I'll get in trouble using my tape shim method, especially since the cartridge makers try to stay right in the middle of the tolerances so I'll probably never get a max length cartridge.

BTW, you can get the full SAAMI ammo specifications here
Thanks very much.

I could use some advice from someone that has more experience with older firearms than I have. I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

Since I just received my C&R I'm looking to acquire a 1903A3 from an online retailer that is classified as very good with "excellent bore and mechanical condition". Would it be advisable to bring it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection, or should I just buy a go/no-go headspace gauge and check it myself? The place I'm buying it from doesn't check headspace, but they do have a 30 day inspection and return policy.

Whenever I buy a gun, new or used, I always detail strip it, clean and visually inspect the parts, then reassemble, but I've never checked the headspace. The only "old" gun that I own is an M1 that I purchased from the CMP, so I know that one had been properly inspected before I purchased it. I assume so anyway.

The gun I'm looking at is on the pricy side and I'm trying to not add too much additional cost to the purchase. Let me know if you think buying a set of gauges, along with a detail strip, clean, and inspection is sufficient? If the consensus is that I should take it to a gunsmith I'll go that route.

Thanks in advance for any input.

MarkT
If your going to be buying and shooting old rifles head space gages are not a bad thing to have. I'm a shooting collector so I don't bother with a field gage if it fails the no go its not for me.
As far as having a Smith inspect it? That's up to you. A carefully inspection yourself will yield any issues then if you have doubts seek professional help. Look for bolt wear and signs if any cracks. They are pretty stout and built for serious use.

If your going to be buying and shooting old rifles head space gages are not a bad thing to have. I'm a shooting collector so I don't bother with a field gage if it fails the no go its not for me.
As far as having a Smith inspect it? That's up to you. A carefully inspection yourself will yield any issues then if you have doubts seek professional help. Look for bolt wear and signs if any cracks. They are pretty stout and built for serious use.

Thanks. I do plan to start collecting, so I think I'll go ahead and purchase a set of gauges.

I appreciate your input, and cockpitbob's.

I sent in my renewal on March 15th (I know) and still have not received it. I paid by money order and have not yet looked into if it was cashed or not yet. I have called the Boston field office once every week this month and left a message without a return call. What else can I do do facilitate the renewal process?

I sent in my renewal on March 15th (I know) and still have not received it. I paid by money order and have not yet looked into if it was cashed or not yet. I have called the Boston field office once every week this month and left a message without a return call. What else can I do do facilitate the renewal process?
Boston has nothing to do with it. There is a processing center down South that handles the C&R FFLs.

Hey, the Boston Field office has nothing to do with c&r there all done thru the NLC National Licensing Center.
Also allow for a minimum of 3 months before calling around. I applied in Nov received in Feb.

I just submitted my 03 FFL application.

Also, the first company I reached out to had claimed they can’t send C&R handguns to 03 FFLs in MA, and that it’d need to get sent to a dealer FFL. Well, that’s not possible until 2021.

I just want to confirm that there haven’t been any recent laws preventing C&Rs being shipped to 03 FFLs in MA. I haven’t found any, but want to dot my Is. Does anybody know if GOAL has a boilerplate letter that could be sent to an out of state dealer, explaining that it is completely legal to ship to 03 FFLs?

Also, the first company I reached out to had claimed they can’t send C&R handguns to 03 FFLs in MA, and that it’d need to get sent to a dealer FFL. Well, that’s not possible until 2021.

I just want to confirm that there haven’t been any recent laws preventing C&Rs being shipped to 03 FFLs in MA. I haven’t found any, but want to dot my Is. Does anybody know if GOAL has a boilerplate letter that could be sent to an out of state dealer, explaining that it is completely legal to ship to 03 FFLs?
I'd find another vendor. Tons of FFLs won't ship to any C&Rs, let alone in MA where they have to worry about the MA BS laws. I wouldn't waste my time trying to convince a remote to ship to me.

CDNN, for example, won't honor any C&R license, no matter where you live.

I'd find another vendor. Tons of FFLs won't ship to any C&Rs, let alone in MA where they have to worry about the MA BS laws. I wouldn't waste my time trying to convince a remote to ship to me.

CDNN, for example, won't honor any C&R license, no matter where you live.

I would just move on, except for price and items available. I figured I would try once to get them to reconsider their policy by providing supporting statements. If the first attempt fails, then I’ll move on. They did seem amenable to preban flexibility on their “no mags over 10 rounds to MA” policy.

Find another seller. But if you REALLY want to buy from them, have them ship to a FFL in NH. Then just go pickup from the NH FFL who will recognize and accept your 03. As you noted, MA FFLs can’t help until 2021.

I would just move on, except for price and items available. I figured I would try once to get them to reconsider their policy by providing supporting statements. If the first attempt fails, then I’ll move on. They did seem amenable to preban flexibility on their “no mags over 10 rounds to MA” policy.
True, nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess. Good luck. It's a big bummer when I find something interesting and then read, "Sorry, we don't ship to C&Rs" in the listing.

I actually haven't gotten a C&R pistol since my Makarov in spring 2018.

Got my renewal form in the mail a few days ago. My license runs out Jan 1, 2020 so they gave me almost 3 months notice. I put the form out in the mail today 10/16/19. I'll post the date when I receive the new one to give an idea how long it's taking.

First time applicant. 22 days from when I dropped the application in the mail to the day that I received the license in the mail.

I did provide my SSN on the form. I wouldn’t be surprised if it speeds things up the way it does for NICS checks.

Going to be applying for my C&R, curious on question one, would you check off individual owner and collector or just collector? Also would you fill out a time for them to call under “hours of operation”.

Going to be applying for my C&R, curious on question one, would you check off individual owner and collector or just collector? Also would you fill out a time for them to call under “hours of operation”.

You're a collector, check collector. You don't need hours of operation because you are not a business. I wrote Not a Business across those boxes for hours of operation.

Thank you very much, also I know you must send a copy to your local chief, is it necessary to send a simple cover letter with it or just the form would be good enough?

Thank you very much, also I know you must send a copy to your local chief, is it necessary to send a simple cover letter with it or just the form would be good enough?
Mail a copy of the app. Done. They just shitcan them anyway. Jack.

Last edited:
So I read about half this thread and I am a little lost on what if any forms I need to fill out other than the one listed first on this page.

However if I look back in the thread there was a compliance form required also? So not sure of that went away or not?

I get that they keep changing forms so links break but this part surprised me that I couldn't figure it out without asking.

(Could find stuff online talking about it going away for form 1 and form 4 but no idea about the 7cr form)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom