EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

What are C&R applications supposed to put in the "Hours of Operation" section. We're not supposed be "in business" with a C&R FFL so do we ever have "Hours of Operation"? If I take the form at face value I should check "Closed ALL day. NO business hours" for every day. But the form says at least one hour should be provided.

And a bound-book question -- do I need a book at all times (even if it would be completely blank because I haven't acquired anything), or only once the first firearm has been acquired with the C&R FFL?

My C&R expired a few months back and I filled out the renewal form and sent it along with the money order to the ATF but I haven't heard anything back. Its been probably over 3 months now. Should I give em a call? I have an LTC class and my single C&R gun is a colt official police so I'm ok legally I think, but I'd like my C&R back.

charged my card, unfortunately I forgot to tell the wife so she was concerned to see the government taking out money without any pervious knowledge. Need to buy her something special maybe something 50 years old and loud when the c&r comes in

I hope this is a place where I can ask a newbie question. In Massachusetts, they have the "approved roster" and this list looks like (maybe it is or isn't I don't know for certain) it only includes current production models. What happens if I as an LTC owner see an older gun and think that it would be nice to have and shoot? Maybe it's old and from a company that no longer exists for example. Does it require a C&R license to buy it? Or does a Massachusetts LTC cover firearms from say 40 or 50 years ago for example? Thanks to anyone who can explain :)

ps: please remember it's a newbie question. The MA laws are so byzantine I don't think a Kentucky lawyer can figure them out.

It's perfectly legal for you to buy any old gun.

The 1998 law prohibits MA Dealers from transferring guns that are not on the EOPS List and there is no exemption there for old guns. The law last year gave an exemption for a C&R FFL holder to allow the MA Dealer to legally transfer a C&R gun to said C&R FFL even though it is not on the approved handgun roster. HOWEVER, a last minute change set the implementation date for this to 1/1/2021!!!!!!!

However, with a C&R FFL, you can buy said guns from ANYONE anywhere in the USA legally. Many shops won't sell to MA C&R FFLs, but it is legal right now.

Arrived today! App was sent 2/24, rec'd by ATF 2/27, got it 3/27, made 10 photocopies sans signature.

Question: what cool deals can a C&R licensee get other than curios and relics ? PM me if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!

Arrived today! App was sent 2/24, rec'd by ATF 2/27, got it 3/27, made 10 photocopies sans signature.

Question: what cool deals can a C&R licensee get other than curios and relics ? PM me if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!

Some online vendors will give you dealer pricing with a 03 FFL. I know Brownells does.

Thanks for Updating this Steven...

I tried to use the links and all I got was a spinning circle forever, I'll try again latter today...

My question

1. (if anyone knows please chime in), is I'm coming up on my 1st renewal, do they send you out a renewal form or is it up to you to find the form and send it in???

2. Do I need to send a copy to my Police Chief like I did when I 1st got the C&R...

EDIT: I just got onto the ATF website, is it the regular form for getting a C&R or a different one for renewal???
This is the only one I see on the Gov Site, (Form 7CR) — Application for Federal Firearm License (FFL) Collector of Curios and Relics (ATF F 5310.16)...

Thanks

David

Last edited:
David,

They send you a form. It is different from the one you initially fill out. PLUS, there is a self-certification of your legal status form to fill out. You should get this 2-3 months prior to expiration. The renewal form is NOT on atf.gov website, probably because it comes to you pre-filled out.

Yes, each time you MUST submit a copy of the form (less payment info) to your local chief (or whoever is the chief law enforcement officer for those places without police departments).

For the Brownells discount you need to submit a scanned signed COPY to [email protected] after registering for a regular customer account.

Once they approve your FFL03 you'll see strike-out prices in blue, which were the retail price, and your FFL03 discounted price in green. Sales prices, which everyone gets, will have the blue strike-out prices with red discounted prices.

Last edited:
For the Brownells discount you need to submit a scanned signed COPY to [email protected] after registering for a regular customer account.

Once they approve your FFL03 you'll see strike-out prices in blue, which were the retail price, and your FFL03 discounted price in green. Sales prices, which everyone gets, will have the blue strike-out prices with red discounted prices.

Brownells is only place e-commerce site that I know of that offers discounts. Midway used to before they started to suck.

Thanks Len

I was hoping to do it early, I like doing that, I guess I'll just have to wait...

Do they send you everything you need to fill out??? It sounds like it by your answer...

Thanks

David,

They send you a form. It is different from the one you initially fill out. PLUS, there is a self-certification of your legal status form to fill out. You should get this 2-3 months prior to expiration. The renewal form is NOT on atf.gov website, probably because it comes to you pre-filled out.

Yes, each time you MUST submit a copy of the form (less payment info) to your local chief (or whoever is the chief law enforcement officer for those places without police departments).

David,

Yes, both forms come with it but I think on last renewal I had to make a copy for my chief (and I always keep a copy as well). I put my renewal in the Mail the day after I receive it and the last two took me 3+ and 2 months respectively.

David,

Yes, both forms come with it but I think on last renewal I had to make a copy for my chief (and I always keep a copy as well). I put my renewal in the Mail the day after I receive it and the last two took me 3+ and 2 months respectively.

Thanks Len

I guess I'll have to wait till I get the forms... I just hate waiting on them to send the forms out...

I like to get my paperwork/forms in "real" early to avoid any mess up's or getting to close to the "end date" of a permit/license...

If I remember off the top of my head it's September, so I guess I'll see them not to long from now (hopefully [smile])...

Last edited:
Well mine came in the mail today.

i live in rhode island

my ffl (c&r) took three months to come after i submitted the app
i sent the app in january and received my ffl in april
two weeks after my ffl came, a manila envelope followed with the ffl book and info

- - - Updated - - -

Well mine came in the mail today.

i live in rhode island

my ffl (c&r) took three months to come after i submitted the app
i sent the app in january and received my ffl in april
two weeks after my ffl came, a manila envelope followed with the ffl book and info

Back
Top Bottom