EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Quick question, I saw someone denied for NOT putting their SSN down a few years ago. This is for the more recent applicants, did you put your SSN down in question #9? Also, I plan on mailing a check and in the bottom, it says to put your SSN on the check too. Page 4, #5 on it. I do NOT and AM not putting my social on a friggin check. This is ridiculous.

Update:I just read the fine print on the last page and as Len said in an earlier post the privacy act information, section 4 says that SSN is voluntary. I will leave mine on my app cause I had a hiccup purchasing before because there are two more people with the same name (an uncle and another guy who isn't an angel and we all lived in the same city at one point).

Last edited:
Quick question, I saw someone denied for NOT putting their SSN down a few years ago. This is for the more recent applicants, did you put your SSN down in question #9? Also, I plan on mailing a check and in the bottom, it says to put your SSN on the check too. Page 4, #5 on it. I do NOT and AM not putting my social on a friggin check. This is ridiculous.

I didn't put my SS on my application. A couple weeks after I submitted it I got a letter from the ATF saying that I needed to provide it. I did and a couple weeks after that I had my C&R FFL. I didn't get denied but it seemed pretty clear that I would be if I didn't give up the SS#

I didn't put my SS on my application. A couple weeks after I submitted it I got a letter from the ATF saying that I needed to provide it. I did and a couple weeks after that I had my C&R FFL. I didn't get denied but it seemed pretty clear that I would be if I didn't give up the SS#

thanks for the response. I just updated my post after reading the fine print (palm to the forehead) and will leave it on the app, but not on the check.

thanks for the response. I just updated my post after reading the fine print (palm to the forehead) and will leave it on the app, but not on the check.

so you're more worried about someone stealing your SS# from your check than you are about the account number and routing numbers on your check?? If I were a thief, I'd much rather have account and routing numbers.

so you're more worried about someone stealing your SS# from your check than you are about the account number and routing numbers on your check?? If I were a thief, I'd much rather have account and routing numbers.
Yep. I would rather write a check than give my CC info on the form.

Submitted today to the chief and mailed the App. I flopped and ended up doing no ssn and going with CC since I'd be able to track the charge over a check sitting for potential weeks before they cash it. I will let you all know the turnaround and (hopefully not) any issues encountered. Thanks

Update:

01/11/16 - Mailed out App and dropped of copy to Chief.
01/15/16 - Charge on Credit card
02/16/16 - Letter received because I didn't fill out SS# and position for question #9. Remailed out app.
02/29/16 - Wife called, I got it!!!!

Total time about 7 weeks (includes one rejection)!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
David,

Read the instructions that come with the forms. According to the last forms I filled out a year ago, you must give a copy of the filled out application to your chief BEFORE you mail your original to BATFE.

OK Thanks, I don't remember seeing that...

I'll relook at my before paperwork and the paperwork I just got and I'll post what it is...

Thanks Again

EDIT: Yup it's right on the form that you have to check off a box saying that you are giving the Chief a copy of the form, Thanks Leo...

Every time!

David,

Read the instructions that come with the forms. According to the last forms I filled out a year ago, you must give a copy of the filled out application to your chief BEFORE you mail your original to BATFE.

Last edited:
Len-2A,

I'm certain this has been asked before, but....

When receiving Handguns via C&R, from Out of State, must I reveal the Seller on the eFA-10?

It seems like I am ratting them out.

Len-2A,

I'm certain this has been asked before, but....

When receiving Handguns via C&R, from Out of State, must I reveal the Seller on the eFA-10?

It seems like I am ratting them out.

Worse than that, you could set yourself up for an investigation by BATFE on federal charges of illegal transfer across state lines (assume the other person is an individual or even a dealer {if C&R handgun} with C&R gun), it's apparently happened before.

NO, do NOT put any info on source of any gun you receive from outside MA!

You ask "Why should I have a C&R FFL?"

- C&R FFLs can obtain C&R eligible (ONLY) firearms anywhere in the US in a face-to-face transaction or have them shipped DIRECTLY to the C&R FFL! [This assumes no state law to the contrary. This works for MA.]

If this works for MA, why would buying a C&R Handgun from an out-of-state source be illegal?

If this works for MA, why would buying a C&R Handgun from an out-of-state source be illegal?

All of this info is stuff that I cover in my MA Gun Law Seminar, to keep people out of "apparent" trouble (and suspicion).

Fed law says all handgun transfers from different state must go thru an FFL in the new owner's state.

So if you report that you bought a 1953 S&W revolver from KTP and live in MA, it looks illegal to the FRB/BATFE. Worse if you bought the same gun from C&R FFL holder in Michigan who shipped it to you (C&R FFL in MA).

And keep in mind that FFLs in other states may operate under their personal name out of their house. How does it look when you report a purchase from John Smith in Ohio?

None of this is illegal but it sure looks like it on first look and subject to investigation. Nobody needs that aggravation even though they did nothing wrong.

So when selling and shipping any C&R Firearm to any version FFL Out-of-State you recommend leaving the New Buyer's Name on the eFA-10 blank as well? How about the C&R Log - leave fields blank or fill it all in?

Worse than that, you could set yourself up for an investigation by BATFE on federal charges of illegal transfer across state lines (assume the other person is an individual or even a dealer {if C&R handgun} with C&R gun), it's apparently happened before.

NO, do NOT put any info on source of any gun you receive from outside MA!

Maybe it is worth mentioning that when buying a C&R item from another state, you are not using the FA-10 to document the transfer to you, you are using the FA-10 to register the gun. I haven't used the E-version of the FA-10 yet, but the paper one had a checkbox for registration. No seller info required for a registration. If the new E-FA-10 does not allow the distinction between a transfer and a registration, can someone please say so, so I can correct this post?

Maybe it is worth mentioning that when buying a C&R item from another state, you are not using the FA-10 to document the transfer to you, you are using the FA-10 to register the gun. I haven't used the E-version of the FA-10 yet, but the paper one had a checkbox for registration. No seller info required for a registration. If the new E-FA-10 does not allow the distinction between a transfer and a registration, can someone please say so, so I can correct this post?

The eform IMPLIES that you must give info on source, but (from personal experience) it will allow you to skip this page and proceed as if you were using the paper form (which specifically told you that ONLY the gun info and new owner info was required).

---------------------

As for transferring to ANY FFL out of state, there is no good way to do that now. That said, Michaela was very open to my suggestion of allowing EITHER MA Dealer # or FFL # whenever they re-write their software. This would allow you to show a legal transfer to a C&R FFL outside MA as well as a non-MA dealer. No idea if/when this might be implemented however.

Mass Gun Owners are required to use an FA-10 to register firearms that are new to the state. This gives the state the identity of the firearm and the identity of its new owner.

They are also required to record transfers when there are FFF sales, whether the firearm was previously registered or not.

If I sell and ship a firearm to an Out-Of-State FFL, perhaps I should enter their FFL License number as well as or in place of their name?

My C&R expires on March 1, 2016 the renewal form arrived early December 2015,My new C&R arrived in the mail today WOW was that fast.

Hi, Im in the process of applying for my C&R, and was wondering if there is anything special or different I need to do in regards to my currently owned firearms, once I receive my C&R? Thanks

No, unless/until you sell one of of your currently owned firearms that is classified as a C&R, at which point you will need to enter it in your bound-book as an acquisition "from private collection", and then enter the corresponding disposition with the applicable information.

So when selling and shipping any C&R Firearm to any version FFL Out-of-State you recommend leaving the New Buyer's Name on the eFA-10 blank as well? How about the C&R Log - leave fields blank or fill it all in?

You need to re-read the rules they sent you with your FFL if you're asking this question. It is quite clear that you MUST log all incoming and outgoing C&R firearms in your bound book, you cannot leave fields blank! FFL and FA-10 have nothing whatsoever to do with each other. One is Federal, the other is State. You must comply with the requirements of both.

Going to be applying for my C&R in lowell soon. I wonder what my "Chief" is going to think when I send the form to him.

This form provides notification of a person's intent to apply for a Federal firearms license. It requires no action on your part. However, should you haveinformation that may disqualify the person from obtaining a Federal firearms license, please contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center at1-866-662-2750. A "Yes" answer to items #11, #12, and #13 could disqualify a person for a license. Also, ATF may not issue a license if the activitywould be in violation of State or local law.

Going to be applying for my C&R in lowell soon. I wonder what my "Chief" is going to think when I send the form to him.

It's not required that he think.

He can just file it in a drawer or in the trash, you've done your job and BATFE does NOT ask the chief's permission to issue C&R FFLs.

It's not required that he think.

He can just file it in a drawer or in the trash, you've done your job and BATFE does NOT ask the chief's permission to issue C&R FFLs.

I just assume Chief Wiggam will read this " Also, ATF may not issue a license if the activitywould be in violation of State or local law." and think he has the right to deny me. haha

1. Am late sending mine in; expired 1/1. As long as I get it in before 30 days have elapsed, is it correct that there are no additional hoops that I must jump through?

2. I am still confused about the hours of operation section:

i-Qqh3WHz-L.jpg

Are we simply checking the "closed all day" checkbox and leaving it at that? Has anyone done that successfully?

Len, did you submit an 03 renewal with N/A written in this section somewhere? If so, where, and did you check the closed all day boxes, too?
I'm filling out my paperwork now but I don't see that section anywhere on the form. Is this a separate form? I used the download from post 1491 , seems to be the latest forms but is there something else I'll need to send in?

Edit- His form must have been to acquire a regular FFL not a C&R

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom