• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EVERY SHOOTER Should Get a C&R FFL!

Just received my 03, took 4 weeks and that includes a rejection because I had not included my social security number. Even though they state in the accompanying instructions that the social security number is optional they rejected because it was missing. I sent it back with my social security number and got it a few days later.

Now all I need is an 07, oh yes thats in another thread.

Harry

mine expires in November and I got my renewal paperwork in August. Sent it in around the first of Sept and just got my new license! Pretty snappy service.

For those wondering about some of the questions on the renewal form, for hours of operation I put N/A across the board and wrote collector at the bottom of that line of boxes. Also said no to the question about selling on the internet since I'm not a dealer.

When I did my renewal with the paperwork they sent me one of the questions was "How many C&R Guns have you bought"...

Has anyone else gotten that question on your paperwork???

I'm wondering if they were fishing about the guns I own or is that a regular question they ask???

They've been asking that question for some years now. They're not fishing. If they cared what you own, they'd be inspecting you more than once in a blue moon; it's their right.

They just want to know stats about roughly how often their licenses are used, I would guess. It's probably part of somebody's job evaluation, or a way to figure out how well the 03 program is working.

When I did my renewal with the paperwork they sent me one of the questions was "How many C&R Guns have you bought"...

Has anyone else gotten that question on your paperwork???

I'm wondering if they were fishing about the guns I own or is that a regular question they ask???

They also ask about how many have been disposed.

They are looking for evidence that the licensee is collecting and not dealing.

My experience over the last 35 yrs is that nobody cares about anything unless they catch you doing something really bad. Every year they make up their charts showing what is made, imported, sold, lost, etc. Jack.

They've been asking that question for some years now. They're not fishing. If they cared what you own, they'd be inspecting you more than once in a blue moon; it's their right.

They just want to know stats about roughly how often their licenses are used, I would guess. It's probably part of somebody's job evaluation, or a way to figure out how well the 03 program is working.

Thanks... I was just wondering why they wanted that info...

I guess if someone put down something like 100 guns they would be getting a visit... That's what I was thinking when I saw the question. ..

First time applying... all told, 18 days from mail out to license in hand.
Mailed out Sept 15, check cashed on the 20th and got the license in the mail today. [banana]

If the Feds can do a 18 day turnaround for a C&R, why the f does it take 3 months for LTC? <-- rhetorical

Question about recording acquisitions in your boundbook. If you buy a firearm online, do you record the acquisition date as the date of purchase, date shipped or the date it is delivered to you?

I have not done this yet either but I would likely record it once it is actually in my possession. Anyone else please chime in if this is inaccurate.

I have not done this yet either but I would likely record it once it is actually in my possession. Anyone else please chime in if this is inaccurate.

This is what I do. Its not under my control till its in my hands so that's when it goes in the book.

Question about recording acquisitions in your boundbook. If you buy a firearm online, do you record the acquisition date as the date of purchase, date shipped or the date it is delivered to you?
It shouldn't be in your book until you're in control of it. That's how most shops do it as well.

What happens if it's lost in transit and in your book, the atf does an audit and you can't account for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that since my check was cashed last Friday, 10 days after mailing my app, that my FFL package should soon be in the mail? They don't cash the check unless you are approved right?

Considering getting my C&R FFL. Maybe someone wouldnt mind answering here and saving my from searching the whole thread.

Applying seems easy enough, I think I can handle that. My questions are mostly about expiration/renewal.

What if I should decide to not renew after 3 years? From what Ive read you do not have to send your bound book to ATF, as other FFL's do. What about the guns acquired on the license? Anything special that needs to be done? Or do these just become "personal collection"?

What if I should reapply for a C&R some time in the future? Does ATF take issue with this? What about any C&R guns bought on the previous license, do they automatically go in the bound book for the new license?

I'm assuming that since my check was cashed last Friday, 10 days after mailing my app, that my FFL package should soon be in the mail? They don't cash the check unless you are approved right?

I wouldn't count on that, its probably to cover to costs of the background check, etc.

They cash the payment immediately upon receiving the application. If you're denied, they'll refund you. So there is no way to tell if you're accepted or not from that. But the wait should not exceed a month regardless. They're pretty fast at processing.

Considering getting my C&R FFL. Maybe someone wouldnt mind answering here and saving my from searching the whole thread.

Applying seems easy enough, I think I can handle that. My questions are mostly about expiration/renewal.

What if I should decide to not renew after 3 years? From what Ive read you do not have to send your bound book to ATF, as other FFL's do. What about the guns acquired on the license? Anything special that needs to be done? Or do these just become "personal collection"?

What if I should reapply for a C&R some time in the future? Does ATF take issue with this? What about any C&R guns bought on the previous license, do they automatically go in the bound book for the new license?

Correct, if allowed to expire you can keep or destroy the BB. They are all part of your personal collection from time of purchase to time of disposal with or without a C&R FFL.

If you later re-apply it is a new application and only guns received or disposed of while you hold a current C&R FFL need to be entered in the BB.

Do you guys get discounts on regular stuff too with the C&R? Like a new holster, or non C&R ammo, say 45LC, or 9mm?
It depends on what you are buying (not sure about ammo as I live in Ma). Brownells was a great place for me to pick up parts, iron sights etc. at a decent discount. For a $30 FFL is saved me way over $30 in the first year of use.

Just sent my renewal off on 11/19 (expires 2/1/17)
* My first C&R purchase is still in NFA jail. Sigh. Should likely have the renewal approved before the tax stamp.
Renewal Returned: 12/12 (23 days start to finish).

Last edited:
I had one but let it expire in 2010

Reapplied 10/12
Check cashed 10/22
Approved and permit arrived 11/18

Took about 15 mins to fill out forms after reading this thread for help. Thanks to all

It depends on what you are buying (not sure about ammo as I live in Ma). Brownells was a great place for me to pick up parts, iron sights etc. at a decent discount. For a $30 FFL is saved me way over $30 in the first year of use.

Just sent my renewal off on 11/19 (expires 2/1/17)
* My first C&R purchase is still in NFA jail. Sigh. Should likely have the renewal approved before the tax stamp.

Well thats true. There are almost no sites that will ship ammo to us in mass.

I am now a 03 - FFL holder! Under 3 weeks total turn around time seems pretty good for a government operation.

Mailed application - 11/14 ( I think?)
Credit Card was charged - 11/16
License arrived in the mail 12/3

Received 2/4 just about 4 weeks exactly.

Thank you Len for all you do to make my having fun easier.

Between your law seminar and personal advice I am well set for shooting sports in the Commonwealth of "Confuse the Citizen" and not likely to become a test case.

Glad to have helped. Enjoy the ramen noodles . . . result of getting a C&R and going nuts buying everything in sight! <LOL> BTDT

Back
Top Bottom