Evolv security scanner?

Chances are a sporting event I'm guessing and despite the fact the athletes make fun of people like you and I, so many of you will go back and back because apparently being insulted by a millionaire athlete is something that some people want? deserve? The afterwards they pay a cable bill to watch away games on TV while the athletes do more poking fun at normal people.

Teach these people a lesson, stop going, even if you get a free ticket, toss it in the trash. When the ticket sales are off 50% there will be panic in the streets. It only took a handful of people to stop drinking bud light to send the company into panic mode and start firing management.

Correct, but edgy...I went to an award ceremony for my son's team...

Went to Fenway a couple weeks ago and they were using one of these devices at the entrance instead of a normal metal detector. Was not made to empty my pockets or go through a normal metal detector like every previous time I've been there. Way more convenient honestly and I wouldn't have even noticed it was there unless I had seen this thread about it.

It'll be interesting to see how they work in practice in the long term, until they don't. For example, cops wanted to catch speeders so they got radar, then speeders got radar detectors, then cops got radar detector detectors, then speeders got stealth radar detectors, then cops got lasers, then speeders got laser jammers. I foresee someone figuring out a way to evade the detection of these things. Perhaps tinfoil?

I sell and install these units. They are not metal detectors in the historical sense. They use an algorithm to determine weapons from normal metal things. Users can adjust the sensitivity, but go to low and you will pick up everything like a normal metal detector. They can false alarm on things like umbrellas, canes, and other objects that could be metal and in the shape of a long gun. They DO NOT use facial recognition to check LTC's. The units can be tied to your video system and if you are using facial recognition could be used to flag known people. The most common video platform that Evolve partners with is Avigilon and facial recognition is turned off by default. Takes a special license to turn it on.
The great thing about these units is that it speeds up entry while making it more secure. You can have multiple people walk through the line, not single file. No emptying of pockets or bags. Most people don't even realize they walked through them. They are deployed in a lot of venues around New England. I was at Foxwoods for Aaron Lewis Saturday night and they had these units. Walked right through with my pocket knife. They don't scan for those unless the sensitivity is turned way up. Basically these are only looking for mass causality type of weapons.
We are putting them in High Schools around here right now.
So the majority of people are disarmed entering the event, pretty much guaranteeing an entire stadium or concert venue filled with unarmed sheep. So when terrorists storm the entrance, it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Homie don't think so.

Could the scanner be looking for crazy eye's 🤔

200.gif

The safest place for any fish is in the middle of a school of fish. Odds the sharks will gobble any one fish are very low. At a crowded venue, situational awareness and a rapid egress plan are probably far more useful than a concealed handgun. Outside the stadium, a firearm might be handy.

In the 2017 Las Vegas mass killing, 60 of 22,000 died (0.27%) with 400+ wounded - twice as many were injured trying to escape. And that was shooting fish in a barrel.

It must be EXTREMELY sensitive then because it would have detected the faintest of imprints.
You are making the unjustified assumption that somehow it detected gunpowder residue, even though you have no evidence for that. All you know is that you were pulled aside.

The way these millimeter wave detection machines work, they get confused about many things that might be in your pockets. If you are wearing cargo pants but have nothing in the pockets, the machine may alert. That has NOTHING to do with gunpowder residue. These millimeter wave imagers simply aren't that accurate and as a result they have many false positives that result in people getting a secondary screen.

You are making the unjustified assumption that somehow it detected gunpowder residue, even though you have no evidence for that. All you know is that you were pulled aside.

The way these millimeter wave detection machines work, they get confused about many things that might be in your pockets. If you are wearing cargo pants but have nothing in the pockets, the machine may alert. That has NOTHING to do with gunpowder residue. These millimeter wave imagers simply aren't that accurate and as a result they have many false positives that result in people getting a secondary screen.
A friend and I were discussing these devices once, years ago, when we were talking about his having been pulled aside for additional screening.
"If I were making a device like this, I would make it too sensitive, just so it looks like it's doing something. If it never alerts, people might assume they don't work."

Security theater is only effective, after all, if the audience gets a show from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom