• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Excrutiathlon - WINNERS creedon & shaw

I suggested to atmay a low crawl, under barbed wire draped in pig intestines, through mud, with Adam and Nicole on the twins firing over head.

Might be a little much, but what the hell.

i'd fap. right there.

i was having some trouble with the cardio part but some guts, pee, and machine gun fire? pft, cool as a cucumber.

WHEN this is done. If it is dry weather, we will have to MAKE mud. Talking with others today (creeden and shaw) the mud really made this what it was.
Mud definitely made it a tougher run. Don't change that.

i know i got smoked shooting the steel but i was getting hits on paper in all three positions so that was good at least. i mean basically unless you're some super awesome AK shooter somehow it is just a bullet hose. close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades though so "close enough" kind of domed me from the start. [laugh]

with all i went through with that purple polish people punisher i wanted to run it in the event just because. within a few minutes i was like "my god i'm out of shape, i think my heart is going to explode out my neck". so i figured my shooting would... suck.

thanks for the extra pictures, alex.

Same here. I think I hit steel 3 or 4 times. Come to find out, my red dot wasn't trued up. That's not an excuse, that's a failure on my part for not getting my crap together. I did pretty well on the paper once sweetjeep let me know where i was hitting. I think I did damn well on the prone after that. I had to aim 3" to the left to hit paper, sigh. Standing: meh, like atilla, I think my heart was pushing my esophagus out of the way...

Some good pics, atmay. Gonna snipe some for facebook [thumbsup], with credit given, of course [wink]

i got not even five minutes in and the "WHY AM I DOING THIS?!" feeling set in.

naturally invictus was like "oh i go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week" while i was near death bent over trying to breathe. i pretty much hosed him on a trophy. sorry dude. [laugh]

naturally invictus was like "oh i go to the gym 5 or 6 times a week" while i was near death bent over trying to breathe. i pretty much hosed him on a trophy. sorry dude. [laugh]

thanks to all who put this together it was great! im sorry to my team mate for screwing up at that VTAC (the bottom holes in specific)...that was horrible, im amazed i even got the shots, i didn't have a watch but i will say an easy 2 minutes just on the bottom portion...

That said next year I will be ready!

No love for Vtac from the AK camp for sure. But I say this I do predict an AK47 (or style) in the winners circle next year! Show those kids with the hyped up 22s how its done!

Don't feel bad about your gigantic woody, you can keep it :) I thought that the last place trophy was seriously cool, If we came in first, I wouldn't have complained if I got to take it home with me.

I forgot to ask while I was there, but how did everybody's gear setups work for them? Mine work really well, but I've never run a chest rig. Did they stay pretty secure while running, or bounce and sway a lot?

Meh. I've seen xtry51 run a 25 second 9 hole at 85 yards on a roughly 8X10 1/4 sized IPSC piece of steel wearing almost 80 lbs of gear using irons only. I'm sure some of the three gun guys like Supermoto can run it even faster. The barricade is about teaching you to think about shooting from unconventional positions. Like from behind a corner, through a hole in the wall, etc. Running it weak side is a real eye opener for a lot of people.

Here's a 37 second run at 85 yards wearing about 40 lbs of mall ninja crap.
I have seen him in action as well as you know... It is still easier with a red dot.

Those awkward positions get even more so if you have to get good sight alignment. With a red dot you only have to get close... With knee pads [laugh], I can just break 30 on a good day, down hill, with the wind at my back.

I feel so inadequate, I have never shot one of those drills. I can imagine the Fudds at my club having a heart attack if I were to try. [laugh]

If you were really competing, you should level the field and either require irons or provide some handicap to red dots.

Good point. If this event gets as big as I think it could in the upcoming years, that might be a good way to split up the competitive field into different classes. In fact, you might have irons, optics with no mag, and optics with mag. I think a couple of the guys had 3x or 4x mag on their optics. You could choose which class you wanted to compete in. Or for crazy folks like Creeden, you could just run the event three times back-to-back-to-back!!!!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad about your gigantic woody, you can keep it :) I thought that the last place trophy was seriously cool, If we came in first, I wouldn't have complained if I got to take it home with me.

I forgot to ask while I was there, but how did everybody's gear setups work for them? Mine work really well, but I've never run a chest rig. Did they stay pretty secure while running, or bounce and sway a lot?

There was a little bit of bounce, but I didn't tighten up the backstraps, so that had some affect. I had an Eagle AK 6-mag Chest rig. It worked really well. I was worried about the AK mags binding up, but not in the least.

I brought the "Loosers Trophy" home and my 4yo: she looked at it, then me, back at it, back to me "um....that doesn't shoot, daddy, it's a log" [rofl2] And the first thought thru my head was MTV's toy, The Log....

One thing I though of for the future is possibly running everybody solo, but still starting in waves of two or three. That way you'd hopefully always have somebody ahead to catch up to, or behind to get away from.

One thing I though of for the future is possibly running everybody solo, but still starting in waves of two or three. That way you'd hopefully always have somebody ahead to catch up to, or behind to get away from.
Give everyone paintball guns to help "encourage" the person in front of them... [laugh]

There was a little bit of bounce, but I didn't tighten up the backstraps, so that had some affect. I had an Eagle AK 6-mag Chest rig. It worked really well. I was worried about the AK mags binding up, but not in the least.

I brought the "Loosers Trophy" home and my 4yo: she looked at it, then me, back at it, back to me "um....that doesn't shoot, daddy, it's a log" [rofl2] And the first thought thru my head was MTV's toy, The Log....

it's log, it's log it's big it's heavy, it's wood. it's log it's log it's better than bad it's good.

i actually would love to organize a similar event at my club but don't know if i'd be able to get away with it. we have quite a large piece of property to work with.

I foresee limiting the crown to 20 competitors, maybe this should be a twice a year event?

Add a spectator ticket and we'll have lunch while you guys run up and down the mountain.

Give everyone paintball guns to help "encourage" the person in front of them... [laugh]

Issue the paintball guns to the spectators but let competitors tie a rubber chicken to their back if they want to be immune from paintball targeting.

I think it should open entry like this one. The team concept rocked! Also if you want to even it out have some targets that are closer then 100 yards, but that said there are plenty of people that i know that have no problem getting 1 inch groupings with irons. It would be cool too see also a pistol C.O.F.

Its in MA. And its one of the fuddy-duddiest clubs in MA. Beautiful property, though.

Break them in slow, have a black powder shoot at irons over a log barricade and instead of carrying a 60lb log have them do task like split and stack wood, carry a thermos filled with coffe or chicken soup while dragging a 90lb sack of potato's a 200 yards, thow in some clays and you might get one or two later to try it with an EBR

On the scope v red dot/irons side I think irons are faster for that drill personally. I've had a just sub 22 sec run with a scope, but I think I could break 20 with irons if I practiced it more. In that respect i would think a scoped rifle would have to be given a handicap, not the other way around. I don't run the barricade very often anymore since I think it's taught me what it was intended to, but its a great tool for those who have never shot from anywhere other than a bench.

The point of the drill is not really to teach you quick sight picture. IMO there are much better snap shooting drills for that. It's to teach you how to be aware of your entire body, and aware that your whole body plays into the shot as well as pointing out that you may not always have the best position for cover to return fire from. Choosing the correct body position for each port is the single most important factor for running it fast and clean. If you're not doing that drill and paying attention to your position (including things like not resting your barrel on the shelf) you'll never get below 30 seconds, ask me how I know [wink]

The drill teaches you every single bad habit you've developed from only shooting on a square range with a bench and expecting that using your gun in real life will be anything like that.

I have a barricade if anyone wants to get together and run it sometime. I'm by no means a HSLD operator, or even a shooting coach, but i can point out what I know I was doing wrong when I first ran it. I think I can run it 4-5 times in row now and still finish sooner than it took me my first time [laugh]

Just remember, like any repetitive drill, you could just practice it all day every day and be very, very fast at it. I don't think that's how it should be employed in a training routine. I've actually considered making a few new ones with different ports using full plywood sheets so you had to move a lot further.

Last edited:
On the scope v red dot/irons side I think irons are faster for that drill personally. I've had a just sub 22 sec run with a scope, but I think I could break 20 with irons if I practiced it more.
Freak! [laugh]

Agree with everything you said there after the irons vs red dot... [wink] I think you hit on why you are able to do what use mere mortals need a red dot to do - Body Position. The principle benefit of the dot outside of the mechanics of your eye and focus is the removal of the need for precise sight alignment (head/eye, rear sight, front sight). Particularly in the lower holes.

I have hit a wall at just below 30 seconds in my various attempts (it has been a while since I tried) which to some extent is just the physics of throwing "me" around that quickly, but I suspect if there is improvement to be made it will be in muscle memory and freeing myself up to be more "aware" of my entire body position.

It is an invaluable experience no matter what you use...

Break them in slow, have a black powder shoot at irons over a log barricade and instead of carrying a 60lb log have them do task like split and stack wood, carry a thermos filled with coffe or chicken soup while dragging a 90lb sack of potato's a 200 yards, thow in some clays and you might get one or two later to try it with an EBR

i'd just do it. they are fudd-y but will back down if you're aggressive enough. so far though i've had adam's .416 barrett inspected to make sure it wasn't a .50 BMG, my AR inspected to make sure it was not full auto... ridiculous stuff.

if i did host the event i have at least four rifles that would work excellent for the event, three AKs and my AR. feed them and you can borrow them. i have an issue i need to clear up with the president at the moment but if he gets back to me i may bring up the subject of running one of these shoots and see what he says. a couple bucks coming in to the club is always nice, too and we can make a donation to comm2a, etc.

we'll see where it goes because i could really get a lot of fun stuff going on with the amount of property we have. not so much back woods like monadnock but a lot of pavement to pound and flat distance to cover which i could make people suffer on.

Back
Top Bottom