Exeter Hospital

Has anybody visited or been a patient at Exeter Hospital? I noticed that they display a "No Firearms/Weapons" sign near the ER.

I wasn't sure if I should have removed by boots and hands before I entered.

My sister in law had both her children delivered there, nice facility, security was moderate. Didnt see any guards that I recall but needed to be buzzed through most doors atleast around the maternity ward, dont remember any metal detectors.

My mom works there. Security is pretty lax. Several doctors she works with own guns. IDK if they carry. But I'd bet a few practice "Concealed is concealed"

The lawyers make them post those signs.

I don't think I've ever seen a hospital that didn't have one of those signs. The image of the "gun" always looks like 5 year old drew it.

Some Hospitals may fall under the status of a school because they are a teaching hospital,so you might want to look into that.

Some Hospitals may fall under the status of a school because they are a teaching hospital,so you might want to look into that.

Not true in MA (the schools are NOT part of the physical hospital and just because someone is "in training" doesn't make the facility a school even in MA) and certainly not in NH. NH RSAs do not prohibit guns in post-secondary schools (unlike MA) and even the Federal GFSZ law only applies to primary and secondary schools. I checked this out with Sam Cohen, Pro-Gun NH, Exec VP and CEO (plus a long-time personal friend) a few years ago. Sam is much like me, an expert on gun laws in his state.

Let's not project MA foolishness on every other state, please?

Well I stand corrected,thank you Len.I was not sure since a few hospitals like Brigham and Woman are a teaching affiliate of Harvard medical school.

Last edited:
I know the executive leadership well at Exeter. Trust me when I tell you, with all the crap they went though with the Hep C debacle, they will have zero tolerance for any "games" on their facilities.

I know the executive leadership well at Exeter. Trust me when I tell you, with all the crap they went though with the Hep C debacle, they will have zero tolerance for any "games" on their facilities.

And whose fault was that Hep C debacle? Certainly not the patients/visitors to the facility!!

What "games"? What's in my pocket/on my belt is my business and only my business. Until they put metal detectors and do strip searches of everyone entering the place, they will never know who is carrying what (knife, gun, ball-point pen). I don't advise open carry, so this should never be an issue. [I have no dog in this fight, don't live anywhere near there, but have visited plenty of Boston hospitals without fear or concern.]

And whose fault was that Hep C debacle? Certainly not the patients/visitors to the facility!!

What "games"? What's in my pocket/on my belt is my business and only my business. Until they put metal detectors and do strip searches of everyone entering the place, they will never know who is carrying what (knife, gun, ball-point pen). I don't advise open carry, so this should never be an issue. [I have no dog in this fight, don't live anywhere near there, but have visited plenty of Boston hospitals without fear or concern.]

Fault has nothing to do with it. It's your business if you want to carry as is it's your responsibility to deal with the ramifications. Good luck.

Fault has nothing to do with it. It's your business if you want to carry as is it's your responsibility to deal with the ramifications. Good luck.

Exactly, CCW comes with personal responsibility. There are no ramifications if one acts responsibly. NH has no laws against CCW in a hospital (given you have a pistol license), and CCW by definition means that they will never even know who is or is not carrying any sort of "weapon". I never consider CCW'g to be a "game".

I've been in a similar suburban MA hospital when DOC had a prisoner in the same ER area as my Wife (who was hooked up to an IV pole with antibiotics) and if said prisoner decided to bolt, he'd have to run by our treatment area to get out. I also walked into said hospital one day after a police involved shooting where the perp was being treated in the hospital (didn't learn this until later). Hospitals are dangerous places to be unarmed and vulnerable . . . and few hospitals around here have armed security (unarmed in the hospital these experiences were in).

I'm sure that Mass Gen'l Hospital has posted no-gun signs somewhere but Langone who shot the psycho stabbing the doctor to death did not get in any trouble due to CCW'g a gun in the hospital (he was investigated for the shooting for 6 months, but that is SOP in MA, nothing to do with "no gun" signs). IIRC MGH security is armed, but I know that Brigham & Women's Hospital is not (and I've left there at 3AM and had to walk back 1/2 mile to my car parked along an area that street people/druggies live in the area just behind the sidewalk).

Last edited:

The very worst ramifications would be that they ask me to leave. If they want to yank my chain for doing something perfectly legal, because their piss-poor management led to a public health issue, I say bring it, and it is they who will need the luck.

Most hospitals have this policy. Not so much like a school's gun free zone, where they're all afraid of someone coming in for a mass murder, but more for the off duty cop who came rushing in because his daughter was in an accident, doctor can't save her and he decides to off the doctor. At the hospital I work at our security will make anyone not in a police uniform go back out to their car and secure their weapon. Emotions run high and you're on private property with private rules. Also get problems with situations like when a father is divorced and the wife gets drunk, crashes the car and kills the child in the car seat. That father who's been fighting for custody for the last two years... he's not thinking straight.

There's actually a ton of doctors, nurses and staff who petition to get the policy changed to allow staff to carry for situations like this, but then the insurance companies (liability) step up to the plate to shoot that down.

Never noticed a sign in any hospital in twelve years. Of course, never really cared to look for one either.

Was in Mass Gen emergency with my ex one night and there was a gang shooting with multiple victims. Damn glad I was carrying that night. Spent many days in Children's (Boston) with my son and always carried. Sure as hell not going into Boston without it.

Part of the reason I decided against moving to South Carolina. It is prohibited by law to carry in a hospital in that state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most hospitals have this policy. Not so much like a school's gun free zone, where they're all afraid of someone coming in for a mass murder, but more for the off duty cop who came rushing in because his daughter was in an accident, doctor can't save her and he decides to off the doctor. At the hospital I work at our security will make anyone not in a police uniform go back out to their car and secure their weapon. Emotions run high and you're on private property with private rules. Also get problems with situations like when a father is divorced and the wife gets drunk, crashes the car and kills the child in the car seat. That father who's been fighting for custody for the last two years... he's not thinking straight.

There's actually a ton of doctors, nurses and staff who petition to get the policy changed to allow staff to carry for situations like this, but then the insurance companies (liability) step up to the plate to shoot that down.

When was the last time an off duty cop who came rushing in because his daughter was in an accident, doctor can't save her and he decides to off the doctor?

- - - Updated - - -

I work there fairly often. Concealed means concealed. Don't OC, don't obviously print and no one will give you a hard time.

That's what I'm thinking. I carried in the delivery room. [wink]

Just don't walk past an MRI room >.>
Great paper by officer Bill Bartell of the Rochester NY PD on this floating around the web.

Part of the reason I decided against moving to South Carolina. It is prohibited by law to carry in a hospital in that state.

This is the back edge of shall carry states. When the public perception is that carry permits are issued to anyone who is qualified, rather than just "special people" (as is the perception in NY and MA), there tend to be more "off limits" places than states with very old carry permit procedures designed for "the connected".

Last edited:
When was the last time an off duty cop who came rushing in because his daughter was in an accident, doctor can't save her and he decides to off the doctor?

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm thinking. I carried in the delivery room. [wink]

Just a couple of months ago we had an off duty cop who could have gotten to that point in our hospital, but instead was met by our security and removed by his Sergeant. Our policies are preventative measures. He could've been concealed, and should have been concealed. But he wasn't and he was losing his cool very fast. He was shown the policy, refused to cooperate and was removed. The patient sharing a room with his daughter who was in no condition to defend himself was probably shitting himself as this guy got angrier and louder.

Great paper by officer Bill Bartell of the Rochester NY PD on this floating around the web.

This is the back edge of shall carry states. When the public perception is that carry permits are issued to anyone who is qualified, rather than just "special people" (as is the perception in NY and MA), there tend to be more "off limits" places than states with very old carry permit procedures designed for "the connected".

Yes, I have noticed that. As bad as it is permit-wise in this state, once you have the LTC there are far fewer restrictions. I was shocked at some of the restricted places and prohibitions in 'free' states.

Just a couple of months ago we had an off duty cop who could have gotten to that point in our hospital, but instead was met by our security and removed by his Sergeant. Our policies are preventative measures. He could've been concealed, and should have been concealed. But he wasn't and he was losing his cool very fast. He was shown the policy, refused to cooperate and was removed. The patient sharing a room with his daughter who was in no condition to defend himself was probably shitting himself as this guy got angrier and louder.

So you're saying he COULD HAVE gotten to that point? Anyone who carries a weapon COULD get to that point for any number of reasons. We have the restrictions we do in this state because of such fear-mongering.

The real issue is power - not power as in "legitimately conveyed authority", but as in "the ability to do something".

Hospitals have decided not to arm their staff, given insurance, liability, training and philosophical issues. Given that, administrators are not comfortable with their patrons having power their staff does not possess.

Just curious, but what is does the law here have to say? I know that one can conceal carry-and open carry-anywhere one is legally allowed to be, but also that businesses can refuse service or entrance for broad reasons.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

but have visited plenty of Boston hospitals without fear or concern.]

My dad and mom have both been in MGH over the last few years on a few occasions and "should I/Shouldn't I" carry when going to visit them never even crossed my mind. I just carried. If I got kicked out I'd have just locked it in the car.

Just curious, but what is does the law here have to say? I know that one can conceal carry-and open carry-anywhere one is legally allowed to be, but also that businesses can refuse service or entrance for broad reasons.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

The law is silent in NH for hospital carry. In fact NH state law is silent for pretty much everything; the only prohibited zone, statutorily is court houses and "other areas used by the court", except the front entry way.

The "suggested" course of action would be to conceal in these type of situations. That being said, if you knew you were going in for a scheduled MRI or X-Ray or something else that probably requires you to totally degown and leave your "stuff" behind, I would probably leave it locked/secured and unloaded in my vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom