Experience with calf/ankle holster?

barnabus

NES Member
I've never carried using a calf/ankle holster so I'd be interested in hearing from folks that have. Both good and bad.

This would be for a SW 642. Normally i use pocket or kydex holster.

Ankle holsters are very good for access in a car and have good applications when you are ground fighting

For regular carry, they are a slow draw because you have to stop moving, bend over and lift your pant leg to get to your gun. Because of that you are unable to run while drawing. Not a first choice unless you don’t have other options.
Concealment can also be a problem as your pant can ride up when sitting at a desk or restaurant, oven getting out of the car.

Last edited:
good for a B.U.G,. and there were plenty of times I carried two guns.

If you have no other choice but to carry it there then do it.

Personally I would not want to ankle carry as a primary weapon unless it was my only option because IMHO there is no easy way to get to it if you are in a bind

The last time I ankle carried was probably 35 years ago.... I can't even think about doing it at my age and current physical condition ( round, very round)

Yes it is probably the last place anyone is going to notice a gun, printing is not going to be a huge issue, but you better hope you don't need to get to it.

anyone remember the good old days when a Raven 25 could be put in a holster that resembled a wallet and it was not subject to a tax stamp?

I bought one of these for those times when I really want to carry a back up.
It works as advertised and I really like that it has a pocket for spare ammo/cash/credit card/ whatever.

I have big calves so it's a little tight with most jeans but is perfect with khakis etc.

Great videos and reviews on youtube etc.
I only used it with my PM9 and am happy with it.

I have one because there are times when I MUST NOT be seen to be carrying. That's the only advantage: draw ain't easy, and on hot days it can be uncomfortable. Ensure you pull your sock up over the holster, both for concealment and for stability.

I've tried a few, including the BUGbite suggestion from @fencer , and the only one I've been satisfied with long-term has been the Apache, by DeSantis, which is relatively no-frills. It stays put once you figure out where it wants to sit. I use it with a P938, and with the stock 6-round mag it doesn't print in normal jeans. With an extended-pinkie mag, you'll need boot-cut jeans. I just remove the thumb break strap. I've used these with a snubbie, too, and they work... but they feel more top-heavy.

For me, the BUGbite places the gun WAY too high on my calf. It prints and it's quite warm too, but it feels like it's not going anywhere. I'm not concerned about the printing, so much, but I tried drawing and it was too hard with the jeans I was wearing.

I’ve used one while working construction. It’s a good solution when I can’t carry on my waist because of my tool belt. I used a cheap ankle holster it would rest on my boot , I wear the shorter style work boots. Worked good for me, I always thought about how I’d be screwed if I needed to draw in a hurry.

I only use an ankle holster when I absolutely have to because I have no other choice. No one ever looks down at your foot/ankle so the chances of being outed are pretty low. As others have said, access to your piece if needed is definitely compromised but at least you’ve got something.

Great for strip clubs too. Chics always walking up behind you and putting their hands on your back, don’t want them feeling a heater in your belt and freaking out. Just don’t forget to go in the bathroom before you leave and put it back in your belt or pocket in case some sleastack follows you out to try and rob you in the parking lot.

Last edited:
I use a Daltech wrap for my S&W 638 J-frame, but I always only wear hi-top leather boots. Best rig going, but not made for bare ankles...
Thanks again @cams

1626558991602.png

Boot Wrap Gun Holster with Mag Pocket

Small Gun Pocket Fits: Single stack semi-autos like NAA revolvers, Deringers, Ruger LCP/LC9/LC380, Kel-Tec P3AT/P32, Beretta Tomcat/Bobcat, S&W 380 Bodyguard, Taurus PT-22, Phoenix Arms, Seecamp, Magnum Research Baby Eagle, Sig P238/P938, Kahr P380, and all similar sized small guns with shooter barrel length. Also fits Kimber Solo, Beretta Nano, Taurus PT709 Slim/PT238, Walther PPS, Glock 42/43. Will also fit snub nose J-Frame Revolvers like S&W, Charter Arms, Taurus and all similar. Will fit 1911 models but not recommended for the 5 inch full size due to barrel length. Fits all guns listed above with or without your attached factory laser. Recommended for guns weighing under 25 oz with a full magazine.

I use a Daltech wrap for my S&W 638 J-frame, but I always only wear hi-top leather boots. Best rig going, but not made for bare ankles...
Thanks again @cams

View attachment 503085

Small Gun Pocket Fits: Single stack semi-autos like NAA revolvers, Deringers, Ruger LCP/LC9/LC380, Kel-Tec P3AT/P32, Beretta Tomcat/Bobcat, S&W 380 Bodyguard, Taurus PT-22, Phoenix Arms, Seecamp, Magnum Research Baby Eagle, Sig P238/P938, Kahr P380, and all similar sized small guns with shooter barrel length. Also fits Kimber Solo, Beretta Nano, Taurus PT709 Slim/PT238, Walther PPS, Glock 42/43. Will also fit snub nose J-Frame Revolvers like S&W, Charter Arms, Taurus and all similar. Will fit 1911 models but not recommended for the 5 inch full size due to barrel length. Fits all guns listed above with or without your attached factory laser. Recommended for guns weighing under 25 oz with a full magazine.
Those are perfect for boots. Glad to hear it’s working for you. Good stuff. 👌🏻

ETA: I had my second one from them made with 2 spare mag slots, so even if you don’t want to carry a backup, you can easily carry 2 spares for your primary, or a light/knife combo, they’re really quite useful.

Thanks again @cams

View attachment 503085

Can I ask why not for bare ankles? It doesn't look too dissimilar from my Apache, and with a mag carrier to boot...

Is it because it's unlined?

Is it because it's unlined?
Yeah, pretty much just a well made and THIN shell to retain your gun.
No real soft padding, just a very strong mount that you can even run with and not have to keep looking behind you to see if it fell out... [rofl]

It doesn't look too dissimilar from my Apache
In the scheme of things, they are all really very similar in shape and construction. The real quality comes from the materials and assembly.

• - We provide these to law enforcement to carry a backup
  • - Flexible, comfortable elastic concealment holster
  • - Easy to wear feels comfortable and secure all day
  • - Great for running and other activities that require more movement
  • - We use military grade materials for the ultimate support

Yeah, pretty much just a well made and THIN shell to retain your gun.
No real soft padding, just a very strong mount that you can even run with and not have to keep looking behind you to see if it fell out... [rofl]
Run? No worries for me. I can hardly friggin walk. Jack.

@Picton they do make similar models for wear with low quarter type shoes, those are padded or have sheepskin or something on them to make more comfortable.

The one @enbloc posted is just stretch material (used for burn victims so it breaths) and Velcro designed longer purposefully to wrap around the outside of a boot, with a holster slot and a mag slot.

The one @enbloc posted is just stretch material (used for burn victims so it breaths) and Velcro designed longer purposefully to wrap around the outside of a boot, with a holster slot and a mag slot.

Yep. One step up from duct-taping your Rosco to your boot... one BIG step.

Yep. One step up from duct-taping your Rosco to your boot... one BIG step.
Agreed. Many options to put things in those stretch mag pouches and comfortable and cheap enough you could have one on each boot for some EDC type stuff and forget it’s even there. Takes a load off your belt or pockets.

I’ve worn a 642 for thirty years in a Galco leather IWB holster in the top of my left boot. Great with thin jungle boots especially. The extra long laces give you a little more retention. Only had one instance of it falling out in a fight with a shoplifter waaaay back. Thank God for chokeholds.

@Picton they do make similar models for wear with low quarter type shoes, those are padded or have sheepskin or something on them to make more comfortable.

I'm looking at them now, thanks. I like the stripped-down concept, and the prices are attractive.

The Apache is cheap enough that you can just ditch it and get a new one once it gets smelly, say every couple of years. But I'm happy to save money where I can.

I'm looking at them now, thanks. I like the stripped-down concept, and the prices are attractive.

The Apache is cheap enough that you can just ditch it and get a new one once it gets smelly, say every couple of years. But I'm happy to save money where I can.
I had great customer service from them as well both times. Emailed and asked them to make it with an extra mag pouch, total 2 mag pouches now, usually only comes with 1, bam, no problem. Sewed it right up.

Great for strip clubs too. Chics always touching you all over there so don’t want them feeling a heater in your belt and freaking out. Just don’t forget to go in the bathroom before you leave and put it back in your belt or pocket in case some sleastack follows you out to try and rob you in the parking lot.

Strong reference, but it's "Sleestak"

Back
Top Bottom