• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Experienced smokepole operators

rocket500

NES Member
I have a CVA Optima that is a servicaeable rifle. I’m not wowed by it in any way but for the $275 or so I paid for it I’m happy enough with it. It’s minute of deer accurate for sure but not any more than that.

Any recommendations for an upgrade? I’d be looking at inlines.

Maybe the Thompson Center Strike or Bone Collector?
Any first hand experience?

I have a CVA Optima that is a servicaeable rifle. I’m not wowed by it in any way but for the $275 or so I paid for it I’m happy enough with it. It’s minute of deer accurate for sure but not any more than that.

Any recommendations for an upgrade? I’d be looking at inlines.

Maybe the Thompson Center Strike or Bone Collector?
Any first hand experience?
I get three rounds touching accuracy at 50 yards with the stock iron sights that came with my Thompson center impact. I added a scope this year and cloverleafed 3 rounds at 100 yards. I paid $179 for it at a year end clearance sale 3 years ago. Taken a few deer with it too. I'm a fan of the dog ear break action on it......Easy to work with gloved hands and even easier to clean.

Fwiw my buddy had a cva optima for 2 season. He hated it. Never got the accuracy that me and our other hunting buds were getting from out Thompson centers and the workmanship was terrible. He got a Thompson center impact last spring and he justj took a doe with it the last week of deer season in mass...he likes it.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a Thompson, this has been there space for a long time. Last fall I was able to shoot the new Remington muzzleloader and I was impressed. I know Remington gets a bad rap around here and this was a Remington event but the guns were silly accurate.

Traditions Vortek here (hammered).

If you are looking for accuracy, have you tried loose powder? I know its not as easy as dropping 2 or 3 pellets down the pike but you can tweak it just the same as chasing an accurate centerfire load.
I buy 40 grain and 50 grain pellets. A little more flexibility in the charge but still easy to load. Can do 80, 90, 100, 120 130 etc.....with combos of 2 or three pellets.

I might spend a bit more time on load development. I did buy a jug of Blackhorn 209 and the correct breech plug but have not tried it yet.

CVA Optima here. Two pellets and powerbelt platinum bullets = 1-2" groups at 100 yards. No issues at all. Hand removal breech plug, and full break open. Stainless, No tools cleaning. Wouldn't change it for anything. No quality issues on mine.

If I'm shooting sight in. I clean after every shot. I've tried it with not cleaning in between, it's still on an 8" pie plate, but groups degrade. When I run out of pellets Ill try Blackhorn, it's cleaner.

Also check your scope and mounts. Bergara barrels are generally very good barrels.

CVA Optima here. Two pellets and powerbelt platinum bullets = 1-2" groups at 100 yards. No issues at all. Hand removal breech plug, and full break open. Stainless, No tools cleaning. Wouldn't change it for anything. No quality issues on mine.

If I'm shooting sight in. I clean after every shot. I've tried it with not cleaning in between, it's still on an 8" pie plate, but groups degrade. When I run out of pellets Ill try Blackhorn, it's cleaner.

Also check your scope and mounts. Bergara barrels are generally very good barrels.

Scope and mounts are good. I get 3-4 inch groups off a rest at 100 yards (all of my centerfire rifles turn in sub 1 MOA groups off the same bench when I’m shooting reasonably well). I do not swab the rifle out between shots, maybe every 5 or so. You’re probably right that the groups would shrink a little if I did.

There’s nothing really awful about the rifle I find it to be OK for what I paid.

Scope and mounts are good. I get 3-4 inch groups off a rest at 100 yards (all of my centerfire rifles turn in sub 1 MOA groups off the same bench when I’m shooting reasonably well). I do not swab the rifle out between shots, maybe every 5 or so. You’re probably right that the groups would shrink a little if I did.

There’s nothing really awful about the rifle I find it to be OK for what I paid.

Groups should tighten if you clean every time or even every other shot. Mine did. Besides, 3-4" at 100 yards is very acceptable for a deer gun in the Northeast. Unless your hunting 200 yard fields, which most are not.

The majority of time you won't be shooting a group, your first shot will be your only shot with a muzzleloader. Most deer won't sit and watch you reload....though some have been able to get second shots, the majority of time you won't.

I have a Bone Collector...works great! Easy to clean...always goes boom...and 3 shots touching @50 yards accuracy...

I agree, it’s minute of deer accurate. I’m not so much concerned about second shots as I am the first. I passed on a head shot on a deer from 60 or 70 yards the last week of muzzleloader season because I wasn’t confident enough in the rifle (the vitals were obscured behind a tree). With my Savage 220 slug gun I would have taken the shot.

I mostly hunt around my house and there is a mix of short range brush hunting and large hay fields. I wouldn’t say a 200 yard shot is likely but it’s possible.

Maybe I’ll play with it some more or maybe I’ll just relegate it to back up gun status.

Groups should tighten if you clean every time or even every other shot. Mine did. Besides, 3-4" at 100 yards is very acceptable for a deer gun in the Northeast. Unless your hunting 200 yard fields, which most are not.

The majority of time you won't be shooting a group, your first shot will be your only shot with a muzzleloader. Most deer won't sit and watch you reload....though some have been able to get second shots, the majority of time you won't.

I mostly hunt around my house and there is a mix of short range brush hunting and large hay fields. I wouldn’t say a 200 yard shot is likely but it’s possible.

Maybe I’ll play with it some more or maybe I’ll just relegate it to back up gun status.
Loose powder is actually quicker to load once you are used to it. Pre-measure loads and keep the measured powder in small containers. I like the paper tubes used for rolling coins. Any small containers will do: 35mm film cans, Rx bottles, the bottles from insulin test strips.
Wipe the barrel with a damp patch after each shot and clean after 5 shots.
Pay careful attention to use the same amount of pressure each time you seat a projectile.
BP rifles can be very fussy about the projectiles that perform well. A good starting point is the Thompson Center 240gr hollow point with the TC mag sabot as it works best in most 50 cal in lines.
Also make sure the bullet seater on your ramrod matches your projectile and doesn't deform it.
Those are the important things.
Once you get used to it, your accuracy will greatly improve. You won't hesitate to take that head/neck shot or to plant one into the vitals at 200 yards
Oh, and don't forget to MARK YOUR RAMROD at the muzzle with a charge loaded - to easily check for a charge or obstruction

Loose powder is actually quicker to load once you are used to it. Pre-measure loads and keep the measured powder in small containers. I like the paper tubes used for rolling coins. Any small containers will do: 35mm film cans, Rx bottles, the bottles from insulin test strips.
Wipe the barrel with a damp patch after each shot and clean after 5 shots.
Pay careful attention to use the same amount of pressure each time you seat a projectile.
BP rifles can be very fussy about the projectiles that perform well. A good starting point is the Thompson Center 240gr hollow point with the TC mag sabot as it works best in most 50 cal in lines.
Also make sure the bullet seater on your ramrod matches your projectile and doesn't deform it.
Those are the important things.
Once you get used to it, your accuracy will greatly improve. You won't hesitate to take that head/neck shot or to plant one into the vitals at 200 yards
Oh, and don't forget to MARK YOUR RAMROD at the muzzle with a charge loaded - to easily check for a charge or obstruction
Great advice!

I had to change my rod on a used Omega I bought. It had a different rod than the original and was deforming the tip on the projo o was using. New rods are not that expensive......about $20 will buy a decent one.

I also bought the round wood ball that helps when ramming the projo home. I like the mag express sabot and they can be very tight going down my tc impact. Much easier with the wood ball.

I have a T/C omega. it was shooting 3" @ 100, but now i use Blackhorn 209 instead of 777 Ffg powder and clean it every shot on the target. Just the way that most shots would be take in the field (although i have had times that i reloaded and got another shot).

90% off in the field shots are with a clean bore.

it doesnt take long to run a hoppe's no. 9 patch through and a few dry patches to follow. I dont clean the plug till im done for the day. BH is so clean you dont need to clean the plug much.

So its 100 grain by volume, cci mag primers and barnes 250grain boat tail, TMZ . im getting an inch or under @100Y rested. and 2000fps at the muzzle.

I have yet to play with the powder amount.

But the most important thing that i learned was consistency with the pressure of seating the bullet on the charge. I just touch it onto the powder each time.

I am also going to try sizing the copper bullets to a consistent diameter, but i have not got the die yet ($160)

hope this helps

G

Back
Top Bottom