• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Explanation on this paragraph, Maine?

I was in my local corner store and the employee asked me if he was allowed to purchase and carry a handgun. ( I had my NRA RSO hat on that day) He is 20 yrs old and a National Guardsman with a Military ID.
I told him about this statement on this web page.

I happen to mention it at Hamilton's gun shop to Gary and he said he cannot buy a handgun under 21.

Can someone decipher this for us? I'm new here in Maine and the only sense to this paragraph seems to be that they are allowed to carry when in uniform and on duty, but cannot purchase a handgun for personal use?

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

It's like Mass, with an FID, and a long gun. A 15-year-old, with an FID can take a Garand to the range, while being driven there in their 17-year old non-FID-possessing brother's car, lawfully.

I do find it problematic that the referenced statute grants rights/privileges to persons that have only the qualification of having served in the .mil. Sounds like Starship Troopers' Citizens/Civilians split.

Isn't it a federal law about handguns being sold to people under 21? There was a recent court case that overturned the rule, and then like a week later the verdict was overturned which reinstated the rule.

It's like Mass, with an FID, and a long gun. A 15-year-old, with an FID can take a Garand to the range, while being driven there in their 17-year old non-FID-possessing brother's car, lawfully.

I do find it problematic that the referenced statute grants rights/privileges to persons that have only the qualification of having served in the .mil. Sounds like Starship Troopers' Citizens/Civilians split.
Service guarantees citizenship!

original post too complicated for my pea brain. i know in massachusetts you could get a ltc at 18. in the day , it was issued as "target and hunting" then class b, and now i suppose the 18 year olds ltc comes with restrictions. that is if they still issue at 18. if you held a ltc at 18 thru 21, you couldn't buy a handgun from a retail shop but you could purchase via a private sale. oddly, if memory is still functioning, the 18 to 21 year old with said ltc couldn't buy handgun ammo for their privately bought handgun but could buy handgun ammo for a rifle that chambered a handgun round. of course they had to prove they owned a rifle powered by a handgun cartridge.

i'm pretty sure this is not the answer the op sought but what the hell. so guys, am i remembering my facts correctly? can an 18 year old still get a ltc?

I happen to mention it at Hamilton's gun shop to Gary and he said he cannot buy a handgun under 21.
He cannot buy from who?

i'm pretty sure this is not the answer the op sought but what the hell. so guys, am i remembering my facts correctly? can an 18 year old still get a ltc?
You may at least be barking up the right tree.

He cannot buy from who?

You may at least be barking up the right tree.
See my post #5. Federal law says FFLs can not sell handguns to anyone under 21. Face to face, you can sell to anyone over 18 (that does mean you have to reside in the same state).

Back
Top Bottom