Explosion in Manchester NH

Bt74

NES Member
Heard a pretty loud explosion in Manchester near the airport, saw the column of smoke, looked like it was near my shop over by R&R Cycles. Drove over, and apparently someone had a tank of acetylene in the trunk of their car at Matteson Tri Gas. Car is blown to shit!

Jethus cwithe.... one of those tanks must've been leaking in there.... Dayum.

According to Jeffrey Hastings of Frame of Mind Photography, the vehicle pulled up to a loading dock with acetylene tanks and when a person hit the trunk release, the vehicle exploded. The driver and other workers were reported injured and transported to a local hospital.

Ban trunk releases... [rofl2]

When I was using an oxy-acy torch setup, I would always transport the tanks in the bed of the truck... Guess those guys won't be trunk transporting in the future.

I'm also glad that I have electric welders, plus a plasma cutter, now...

Matheson gas and welding... a division of Dumbass industries. ( I know it's not their fault but couldnt find the dumbass who put the tanks in his trunk)

retardo...
Never Ever put tanks in a vehicle.
Not even propane!

Then how am I supposed to get my BBQ grill going eh??

I guess we're supposed to buy an open bed truck for this purpose?

All I have is 2 cars, so when I need gas for the mower/snowblower or propane for the grill, I have no choice but to use the trunk for that purpose. I don't delay myself getting to/from those relatively rare trips, but I must use my car for the purpose.

All I have is 2 cars, so when I need gas for the mower/snowblower or propane for the grill, I have no choice but to use the trunk for that purpose. I don't delay myself getting to/from those relatively rare trips, but I must use my car for the purpose.

you do not have the proper equipment.
DO NOT PUT OTHER PEOPLES' LIVE AT RISK.
I DO THIS SHIT FOR A LIVING. IT IS NOT A JOKE.

Try to find a way to leave your trunk vented..Drop a small piece of 2x4 near the latch and bungie the trunk half way down

I guess you might say I know dumb or unlucky people but I have a few friends who are lucky to be around from similar incidents..one opened the door of a food truck..One opened a job box on a job site and another opened a trunk with a leaky map gas tank..All went boom and they suffered severe burns and one permanently deaf in one ear

Just be safe

you never lay acetylene tanks down on their sides....bad things happen.

Not a problem if you stand them up for an hour or so before using them. That lets the acetone settle to the bottom of the tank. Never USE use them while they are on their side.

Lighten up Francis.... And I'm a professional plumber with propane tanks or acetylene tanks in my van, millions of plumbers do...

You shouldn't do it, period. and the DOT fines are steep if you get caught. I don't care if every other guy on the planet does it is not the proper way to handle gas tanks, and by doing so you are putting other people at risk. You probably light your torch with a lighter too...
I hope that you are at least smart enough to have flashback arrestors on your setup...

A good friend of mine that worked at an airgas facility had 70% of his body burned because of some dipshit with a tank in his car. No excuse...

It's akin to coming onto a gun site & bragging about how you can twirl your pistol on your finger, and so far it hasn't gone off...

Back
Top Bottom