FA10 THREE MONTHS LATE!!!

So I bought my first shotgun at Petes in Hudson in June. It was my first out of state purchase. He never told me about the FA10 form. I just found out about it this week and now its 3 months late.

I'm licensed in Lowell MA.

Am I in trouble?

I got some advice to lie about the date of purchase.

What do you guys think?

Just select "register", fill out the buyer/gun info ONLY, and send it in the mail.

Late is better than never and they have no clue when you actually bought the thing (or when it actually entered the state, which is the real trigger for the filing) anyways.

-Mike

I called the CHSB after not being able to get an FA-10 just a couple weeks ago. I purchased an AR in Missouri while there on Military Orders.

The rep at CHSB said they did not have any more FA-10's and didn't know when to expect more, so they couldn't send any out to me. I asked what I should do seeing I had to register it within 7 days and she told me not to worry about it...it really didn't matter on the 7 day thing...she just told me she would mail some out to me when she got them and took my address. I just got home and went to the local PD and got a couple and need to fill it out this weekend and send it in.

I guess it's not really a big deal as long as you register it...I was pretty shocked and stressed the 7 days thing and she again told me it didn't "really" matter if I didn't get it in within that timeframe...

OK, heard it from the horses mouth...I'm sure that makes you feel better...It's been about 30 days now for me...

Thanks for the replies. It will be in the mail tomorrow. I was worried because its Massachusetts.

Not a lawyer but when you purchase out of state it's a "Registration" and the form reads "Date of Sale/Loss/Theft/Registration/Transfer". You fill in the "Date of Registration", which as I've understood it is the day you fill out the form.

Last edited:
I was pretty shocked and stressed the 7 days thing and she again told me it didn't "really" matter if I didn't get it in within that timeframe...

OK, heard it from the horses mouth...I'm sure that makes you feel better...It's been about 30 days now for me...

I agree it's not a big deal, nobody is going to prosecute you (or even notice) for innocently forgetting to fill out a form until after 7 days, or similar such situations. But remember that the lady answering the phone at the CHSB is neither a member of law enforcement nor a lawyer. So what she says about it tells you nothing other than that the CHSB itself doesn't much care, which we already knew.

Not a lawyer but when you purchase out of state it's a "Registration" and the date on the form it the day of "Registration", which as I've understood it is the day you fill out the form and not the date of sale.

Doesn't really matter. The date it entered the state works well. The law in question (C 140 § 128B) doesn't even require you to report any such dates.

Yes. You'll need at least an LTC-B for that AR. Make absolutely certain that any marge capacity magazines are pre-ban.

Ken

I'm pritty sure the mag is pre ban, I got if from a dealer and it dosent have any dates or markings at all.

Lots of different opinions out there but if the mag isn't marked I wouldn't worry about it. Unless it is thermal or something. The rifle needs to be pre-ban too or MA compliant.

I just sent in my FA-10 but didn't see the check box for large capacity until I saw it on here...What should I do? Should I call them and tell them or just leave it be? I have a preban AR with 30 rd magazines...Any advice? Dohhh...I tried to be 100% accurate on the form too...

Back
Top Bottom