• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fall River Buy Back

http://www.heraldnews.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=18362053&BRD=1710&PAG=461&dept_id=99784&rfi=8

Gun buy-back returns to city
By:Michael Holtzman, Herald News Staff Reporter
05/19/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
FALL RIVER - A church is a place for guns. On Saturday, that is.

The First Congregational Church, headed by its senior pastor the Rev. Robert P. Lawrence, continues its "Gun Buy Back" program from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the stately church between Cherry and Rock streets. The program marks a tradition of citizen protection that dates back more than a decade.

If the goal of buying back another 200 handguns, rifles and other firearms can be reached, Lawrence said it would bring number of guns taken in and destroyed to approximately 2,500.

He asked that peoople come to the Cherry Street entrance of the church to turn in their weapons - no questions asked - in exchange for a pair of $25 food gift certificates redeemable at Shaw's Market for each gun.

"The assurance we give the people is that they are destroyed. That's our promise to the community," he said.

The gun amnesty program, practiced throughout the country, gives any person with a gun the opportunity to turn it in without fear of reprisal or prosecution.

Lawrence and Police Chief John Souza said they have no illusions this effort will immediately make the streets safer. "It isn't the gang-bangers' guns (being turned in). But every gun is an accident waiting to happen," Souza said.

Typically, most citizens taking advantage of the gun buy-back are middle-aged or older, ridding their homes of guns they're looking to dispose of, maybe after a child or spouse left them behind, the chief and pastor said.

Inside Lawrence's church, where a wooden sign post hangs with an empty western holster, and a message painted on it has the irreverent message "hang your guns here," the atmosphere is welcoming. The church is adorned like a museum with memorabilia from all over the country and the world. There's a particular flavor of the wild west.

Why have so many people turned in their guns at Lawrence's church?

"I think they like the anonymity of a church, rather than a police department," he said.

He said one widow, perhaps nine or 10 years ago, feared going into her basement where her late husband's gun collection was kept. He arranged for a police officer to go to her home. "There were 26 weapons in her basement," Lawrence said.

"She was happy. The police were happy. I was happy. And there were 26 guns we didn't have to worry about," he said.

One of the funnier stories happened a few years ago during the gun buy-back when a man in a tan-colored station wagon set up shop on Cherry Street as people filed in to trade their guns for food certificates. "He was offering them $75-100 cash for their guns," Lawrence chuckled, recalling the man's fate.

"The Police Department took care of this. He was long gone," the pastor said.

The city Police Department does play a key role in taking back the guns at the church. When each weapon is brought in, it's placed on a table and one of the uniformed officers checks it in case it's loaded. Serial numbers are taken down and records are checked to see if the gun is stolen. But the individual who brought it in always remains anonymous, Lawrence and Souza stressed.

Within a few weeks, the guns are brought to a foundry in Johnston where they are destroyed.

"We have found that the most guns are turned in the Saturday before Thanksgiving because most people would rather have a turkey than a gun," Lawrence said.

But with a recent rash of violent crime and the church pastor of 23 years eyeing retirement at the end of next month, the timing was right to offer the buy-back, which was last done in 2005.

"It's been quite successful," Lawrence said. "More than that, it makes a statement that in a free society there is no place for weapons."

"I do praise the Rev. Lawrence for his continued support," Souza said. "I hope people will come out and we'll get a number of guns off the street."

Told their goal is to collect 200 guns on Saturday, Souza said, "That would be wonderful."

E-mail Michael Holtzman at [email protected].

Police Chief John Souza said they have no illusions this effort will immediately make the streets safer. "It isn't the gang-bangers' guns (being turned in). But every gun is an accident waiting to happen," Souza said.
Is the gun on his hip included in this blanket statement.

One of the funnier stories happened a few years ago during the gun buy-back when a man in a tan-colored station wagon set up shop on Cherry Street as people filed in to trade their guns for food certificates. "He was offering them $75-100 cash for their guns," Lawrence chuckled, recalling the man's fate.

"The Police Department took care of this. He was long gone," the pastor said
If he is licensed and has FA-10s isn't it legal to do a FTF with someone after talking them out of the buy back? Sounds like Stormtrooper intimidation to me.

Last edited:
Well, I'm doubting that many or any of the people turning in these guns are FID/LTC holders.

What we should do is make a mass buy of some $25 barely/non functional rifles and sell them off to one of the buybacks that offers $100 for any firearm.

If he is licensed and has FA-10s isn't it legal to do a FTF with someone after talking them out of the buy back? Sounds like Stormtrooper intimidation to me.

I'd bet the dialogue went something like this:

LTC guy: I'm completely obeying the law. I told this lady with a rifle that
I would meet her at ( FFL name here). (insert more of LTC guy
trying to reason with the JBT that his activity there is legal. )

PD/LEO: "Do you have a permit in this town? If you don't leave now we'll
have you declared unsuitable. And even if you don't, we'll invent lies and
rat on you to the IA that did issue your permit. " (course, they don't say
the latter part, but basically imply it by tone of voice and the threat).

LTC guy: (thinking, under his breath... oh f*ck. this wasn't a good idea
after all. )

Well, I'm doubting that many or any of the people turning in these guns are FID/LTC holders.

Yes, but you could still solicit them to transfer them to you through an
FFL, which would constitute a legal sale. Additionally, any of those little
old ladies who have charge of their widow's estate could also FA-10 guns to
you directly. (there is an exemption in MGLs for this, IIRC).

I'm surprised that in free states the local FFLs don't send someone to all the
buybacks to try to rope people into selling them their guns instead of the
people going to the stupid buyback. Course one of the problems in the
industry is the amount of local politics involved in getting clearance to run
a type 01 these days... even in a free state. Course in free states they
have a LOT less buybacks.

-Mike

...maybe after a child or spouse left them behind, the chief and pastor said.
This enfuriates me. A kid leaves his rifle at the folks house and now the parent steals their property and sells it to the Police. So could the owner now charge the cops with receiving stolen property?

He said one widow, perhaps nine or 10 years ago, feared going into her basement where her late husband's gun collection was kept. He arranged for a police officer to go to her home. "There were 26 weapons in her basement," Lawrence said.

So a foolish old lady who could have sold her late husband's collection to a dealer for a significant sum was "helped" by the cops into throwing it all away. What magnanimity and devotion to duty.

If the cops truly wanted to help her, they would have arranged for some FFLs to bid on the collection.

"We serve and protect"

I wonder how many collectable guns get destroyed with these dumb ass buybacks. I saw the video on one of the local news stations, when they were panning across the table with the firearms on it I saw more BB guns than firearms. I did see something that was marked U.S., could have been a Garrand or a carbine, it's a shame that it will get melted down.

Some enterprising person could start a buisness catering to the widows who still have there husbands guns in the house.

"...in a free society there is no place for weapons."​

Someone got the leads reversed when he put his brain in that day.

I would have put it a little different:

"In a Nanny-state society, there is no room for subjects to have weapons."

If any LTC holder was stupid enough to turn in his registered guns, I'm going to take a wild guess that somehow the FA-10 originally filed isn't going to get properly "undone", and he'll still be registered as the owner of the guns. That would suck when they come to confiscate them and they don't believe something as absurd as an excuse like "I turned them in at the Menino gun buyback program a few yeas ago". I hope he likes his wallboard full of holes.

True, any gun you ever owned is NEVER "unregistered" from your ownership. If it is sold out of state, confiscated/given to police, etc. it will always show as "yours".

As much as I never expect them to go door-to-door, if there is ever a reason to target the person for a search then you are right, they are going to look for the guns and not believe the person anyway.

I saw the North Attleboro police bring an older woman with her father's gun collection to Ted at Northeast Traders to help her get more money. She had originally called the police to "turn in" the old guns.

I think it's a credit to the North Attleboro Police that they helped her out by bringing her to Ted. I don't think many departments would have been so kind.

BTW, I got a beautiful 1905 .32 Hand ejector out of the collection. This way seems to have pleased everyone.

Back
Top Bottom