Family firearm transfer

ansermoz

NES Member
Hi all,
I assume this is the right area for this question, but im looking for some advice.
My terminally ill father in-law (alzheimer's) no longer has access to his firearm collection, but does still own a number of firearms that ultimately need to be transferred (likely to me as I am the only one with a valid LTC). My mother in-law, nor my wife hold an LTC, and my father in-laws has expired, and for obvious reasons will not be renewed.
I guess I am looking for some advice on the best way to transfer these from him to me, and or sell them on his behalf. He is not in a position to complete any paperwork at this point.
We are talking about somewhere in the region of 30 firearms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

this is a monthly topic here

Thanks. But he is not deceased.

His LTC is expired so the transfers would have to be done at an FFL. Bring your father in law, guns (transported by someone who has an LTC) and the transferee to an FFL and transfer.

Your father in law can loan them to a licensed individual to use and store for an indefinite time period and then you could go the inheritance route mentioned above.

As for selling them you can go green (paid membership) and sell them here. They can go on consignment with a gun store or be sold to a gun shop but you won’t get much for them if you sell them to a gun shop.

Bob

if you take them to a dealer and have them transferred (at $20 ea), be aware if any are not on the List. Simply FA10 those to yourself.
Also, be aware of when they were purchased, anything earlier than 1968 probably isn't even on the books!

That doesn't apply. The owner is not deceased. At that time the estate in total goes to the executor to handle according to a will, if one exists.

The question is, are the others fine with you taking possession of the property? If they aren't, the fact that they cannot accept them isn't material. they could be transferred via a sale to a valid party or a FFL. When it comes to money, a family can suddenly become totally different. I saw that clearly when a local with a large collection died and the son in law secretly sold off portions of the property resulting in a lawsuit.

Discuss this with the involved parties first.

ONLY upon his passing, AND if you are named in the Will, would inheritance count. Then simply registering them with NO info on the source when that time comes is the proper procedure.

If you aren't named, likely his Wife inherits them and regardless of who has a LTC, she could sell them but it would have to be via an FFL. Any handguns not on the EOPS List and AG compliant (unless you can PROVE grandfathered) are "lost" to any inmate of Mass! Same with any so-called AWs per the AG's BS.

My guess is that it doesn't look good.

His LTC is expired so the transfers would have to be done at an FFL. Bring your father in law, guns (transported by someone who has an LTC) and the transferee to an FFL and transfer.

Bob
he probably can’t bring his FIL. If he has terminal Alzheimer’s he is legally not competent to complete a transaction.
my father had moderate dementia and he couldn’t fill out a simple form.

Back
Top Bottom