Family transfer (endless BS question)

I'm a Florida legal resident, my wife is a NH legal resident - we spend 1/2 year in Fla, 1/2 in NH.
My daughter (over 21) and I built a AR15 lower the other day.
I owned the stripped lower, can I give it to her in NH (as I am here now) or do I have to give it to my wife, and have her give it to my daughter? Or, do I have to do a FFL xfer? Any idea?

Or, could I just loan it to her to use in NH when Im back home in Fla?

Last edited:
Since you are not a resident of NH, you must go through an FFL to transfer it to either your wife or daughter.

However, if you can document residency in NH when you're there, you can simply give it to her.

Many people who do the summer/winter thing are residents of the applicable state while residing there; that probably applies to you.

Have your daughter buy a $40 lower in her state and spend the quality time helping her build it in her home state. While you’re at it, have her pick up a stripped Glock frame and show her how to make her own handgun. Everything else sounds convoluted.

I really can’t think of a more ‘tis the season-Hallmark Channel-heartwarming” thing to do than spend time with loved ones doing something cool.

Since you are not a resident of NH, you must go through an FFL to transfer it to either your wife or daughter.

However, if you can document residency in NH when you're there, you can simply give it to her.

Many people who do the summer/winter thing are residents of the applicable state while residing there; that probably applies to you.

How to 'document residency' - I get forwarded mail and have titled a car in NH would that qualify - Im in NH July to December?

I'm a Florida legal resident, my wife is a NH legal resident - we spend 1/2 year in Fla, 1/2 in NH.
My daughter (over 21) and I built a AR15 lower the other day.
I owned the stripped lower, can I give it to her in NH (as I am here now) or do I have to give it to my wife, and have her give it to my daughter? Or, do I have to do a FFL xfer? Any idea?

Or, could I just loan it to her to use in NH when Im back home in Fla?
What you described says you are both FL and NH while resident in those states per ATF. If your daughter is a NH resident than you are done. She has the rifle. Done. Don’t overthink it.
What constitutes residency in a State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Do not 'lend' it to her if you are considering yourself solely a Florida resident. If she uses it in a defensive situation, she could be violating federal law.
Firearms may be lent/borrowed across state lines for sporting purposes only. I can't remember the intricacies of the law regarding longarms vs handguns, but it definitely pertains to handguns.

As others have said, just establish dual residency and be done with it.

How to 'document residency' - I get forwarded mail and have titled a car in NH would that qualify - Im in NH July to December?

A tax or utility bill is generally good enough for an FFL, It would make sense that if you're a resident as far as the Federal government is concerned for buying a gun, you'd be a resident for a personal transfer too. Remember, there's no paperwork when transferring a firearm in NH, you just hand her the gun and say, "it's yours now."

Just to add to this. You are a resident of NH when you are in NH. You are a resident of FL when you are in FL. At least as far as the ATF is concerned.

See the citation that Crackpot provides below.

What you described says you are both FL and NH while resident in those states per ATF. If your daughter is a NH resident than you are done. She has the rifle. Done. Don’t overthink it.
What constitutes residency in a State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Last edited:
This is wrong. You are a resident of NH when you are in NH. You are a resident of FL when you are in FL. At least as far as the ATF is concerned.

"If you can document residency in NH..."

So... I left out, "then you're a resident when you're there", but I thought that was pretty obvious.

Back
Top Bottom