Favorite 300 yard + round?

Chime in! What's your favorite 300+ yard round.

I'm want a round that will:
1) Ruin the days of as many coyotes as I can
2) Shoot across fields to 375 - 425 yards
3) Have lowish recoil
4) Have a fairly flat trajectory (I know this may be a stretch)

Thanks all!

I've got a Remington Model Seven in .243 that I love:

RemingtonSeven243.jpg

I've got a Ruger 77 in .243 with a 3-9x Leupold that manages to do the job. The Savage 12FVSS in .22-250, also with Leupold glass, works fine, too, although I prefer saving it for smaller targets.

Ken

.243 and 22-250 were on the short list!

How about 6.5 Rem Mag? 25-06?

.270 is under consideration, but may be too much kick even in the lighter rounds.

I've never heard of the other ammo types you guys are mentioning. Than again I don't read up on much of anything other than the average 17hmr, .204, and milsurp stuff. I'm just wondering... if the Ruger .204 is clocked at over 4000 fps, from what I've seen in test results, doesn't that make it the fastest and most flat out long distance round yet?
For light recoil and trajectory, plus ammo availability, wouldn't this be the ideal choice for what the poster asks for in the initial question?
I may be wrong and am always open to new types of ammo when it comes to long range low caliber shooting. Anyone have comparison results they can post?

.223 isn't cutting it at those ranges! That what he shoots now. I live in an area that has a lot of farms. One of my friends' is plagued by coyotes. They're god awful this year!

BTW, will glady take your Coyote pelts as I'm in need of some for making a scabbard for the Conan Atlantean shown on the left.

ecca97a1.jpg

A .223 with a fast twist barrel would shoot Hornady 75 & 80Gr. A-Max bullets. I have heard that they are good bullets for varmints. Little bit of a looping trajectory, but not so much that it would be too difficult at 300yds.

B

I've never heard of the other ammo types you guys are mentioning. Than again I don't read up on much of anything other than the average 17hmr, .204, and milsurp stuff. I'm just wondering... if the Ruger .204 is clocked at over 4000 fps, from what I've seen in test results, doesn't that make it the fastest and most flat out long distance round yet?
For light recoil and trajectory, plus ammo availability, wouldn't this be the ideal choice for what the poster asks for in the initial question?
I may be wrong and am always open to new types of ammo when it comes to long range low caliber shooting. Anyone have comparison results they can post?
Beyond 300yds, retained energy, sectional density and balistic coefficient become increasingly important. A 100gr. , 6mm bullet will carry enough weight to retain enough energy for a clean kill at longer ranges than a smaller and lighter bullet. Bullets that are heavy for their caliber tend to have better balistic coefficients. This translates to less air resistance and a correspondingly flatter trajectory.
For example: The original 55gr bullet in the 5.56mm cartridge was basically useless past 250 yards. Increasing the rate of rifling twist allowed the use of bullets as heavy as 69 gr which have a flat enough trajectory to shoot accurately out to 600yds. These bullets are, however, still too light to retain enough energy for a humane kill on most game animals or varmits.
The trick is to achieve a balance of gun weight, barrel life, recoil, accuracy, trajectory, and delivered energy, simultaineously.

ok...so if he has a major coyote problem...i assume he just wants to kill em and doesnt care about pelts???

.308...7.62x39...5.45x39

all man stoppers so im gonna say theyd do well on a coyote...especially if hes not concerned about what the pelt looks like afterwards

all ive used around these parts are .22 and .17 within 100 yards so im just makin an educated guess

or just tell him he can invite me up to his farm and ill bring my 30-06 and really give them coyotes hell...hell if he lets me shoot with him ill bring a rifle in every caliber and let him pick

Increasing the rate of rifling twist allowed the use of bullets as heavy as 69 gr which have a flat enough trajectory to shoot accurately out to 600yds. These bullets are, however, still too light to retain enough energy for a humane kill on most game animals or varmits.
69 grain is light. 75, 77, and 80 grain bullets are the rule for long range use in 223 Remington.

Having seen 75 to 80 grain bullets impact a berm thousands of times after being shot from 600 yards away, I am not going to volunteer to take one.

Thanks all.

Leaning heavily toward a Remington VLS chambered in 6mm. Looks good on paper anyway. Anyone shoot it?

Back
Top Bottom