favorite case trimmers

Wildweasel

NES Member
I have used the old forster trimmer (long gone.. ) and have been using the Lee trimmers in a drill and it is hell on the fingers. any recomendations?
( I don't want to spend a bunch on one. Ie under 100.00) I reload .223 .7.62 nato and 7.62x54R)

For under $100 I think the Forester is pretty good. I use a Forester and have an electric screwdriver set up to power the thing. I had to unscrew the crank at the end of the cutting shaft and put a nut on it. I then got a socket and small driver that would fit the nut & the screwdriver. It goes pretty fast, but you still have to deburr. For that I have a deburring tool holder for the screwdriver that I got from Sinclair International. That goes very fast. I had a Lyman that was pretty good too.

B

EDIT: Forgot the link for the DBT holder

Last edited:
My favorite case trimmer is the RCBS X sizing die. It prevents case growth and eliminates trimming without constricting the neck. I can't tell you exactly how it works, but after reloading 223 cases 7 to 9 times without having to trim, I can tell you unequivocally that they work.

my .223 isn't so much the problem, most doesn't require trimming. but my 7.62x51 is a whole different kettle of fish. (shot out of my 1919a4) I wouldn't be reloading but I want to shoot it at the pumpkin shoot and my 8mm is steel core and the range forbids it. got a test batch loaded last night but I had some problems with my old dies, (30 years old and I seem to remember issues with them. ) so a new set is in order before I do any more.
Thanks for the pointers I have some good solid leads now.

My favorite case trimmer is the RCBS X sizing die. It prevents case growth and eliminates trimming without constricting the neck. I can't tell you exactly how it works, but after reloading 223 cases 7 to 9 times without having to trim, I can tell you unequivocally that they work.

That's a pretty sweet die! I've never heard of them before, but after reading about it, it seems like a great idea!

At $180 the RCBS power trimmer may be out of your price range, but it is worth considering. This unit trims, chamfers and de-burrs all at once. A great time saver. I bought mine at Natchez.

Do you use all RCBS dies or just the sizing die? I'm ready to order and have a Dillon 650. I usually use Dillon dies.

Wilson.

Extremely accurate.
Very simple.
Relativley inexpensive.

+1

I tried out the Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, and L.E. Wilson and the Wilson was the one I ended up buying. It's a great little tool.

I think I'll eventually get a Giraud, but it's going to have to wait. I use scrap metal proceeds to buy reloading equipment. Those funds are depleted because I just bought a single stage press. Next on the list is a Dillon primer tube filler, then I'll get the Giraud.

Back
Top Bottom