• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite gun cleaning products.

Butch’s Bore Shine
M-Pro 7
Hoppe’s 9
Lucas CLP
Lucas Gun Oil and (extreme)
Lucas Gun Grease
ATF
Mbile Synthetic
Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax and thier Renaissance Polish
JB Bore Paste and Kroil

and when I am feeling giddy I use a few sprays of Emril’s spray cooking oil. Bammmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Last edited:
I used remoil and CLP for mny many years then finally ran out.
Gunzilla and CLP now
on extreme barrel cleaning when I do it Sweet 762 to get the copper out.

If Im trying to get every little spec of old oil off I will often wash with warm dish soapy water and then break cleaner... Followed by breakfree CLP. I use what ever my dad was using for grease, the small tub of it has been around for 40 plus years. He once told me its high heat water proof marine grease?

I have tried a bunch of everything. My favorites are Hoppes 9, and Mpro 7. Mpro7 is used as my primary, but I have left barrels in hoppes 9 for an overnight soak to loosen all of the crud.

I use ballistol for almost everything. I use lucas gun grease for rails and wear points. and I keep little bottles of CLP in the pistol grips of all my baby-killing rifles.

I like ballistol, but I think Im allergic to some component of it as I start hacking and gagging every time I'm exposed to the stuff. My go to is Gunzilla CLP. Great stuff. White lithium grease for rails, etc.

I like ballistol, but I think Im allergic to some component of it as I start hacking and gagging every time I'm exposed to the stuff. My go to is Gunzilla CLP. Great stuff. White lithium grease for rails, etc.

Glad I'm not the only one with that reaction to Ballistol. It smells like an 80 year old german girls underpants or something. Stuff kills me.

Been using JB's bore paste for breaking in my match barrels...the stuff just works absolute wonders on bores and it's non-abrasive. No idea what's in it, but i'll be using it to break in every barrel from this point forward.

When I was in the precision weapons shop in the Marines we used some sort of home brew, likely AFT based, stuff as a lube for NM pistols. I do not remember the formulation of it, but it was probably very similar to Ed's Red. We also used a lot of acetone in the PWS shop.

Currently, at home I just use Hoppes #9. I also used a foaming bore cleaner in a pump bottle that I got at Walmart (I don't remember the brand) to clean badly neglected shotgun barrel, and it came out great.

For oil I like the Hoppes better than the Remoil. It just seems to lube and stay better. The hoppes solvent Im not to thrilled with. It seems to work allright but my issue is this; on the AR bolt the carbon buildup in the back of the bolt behind the gas rings is incredibly hard to get off. Everytime i clean i spend 10 mins srubbing that off with solvent and a used up bore brush. Anyone have any recomendations on a product that would be better? Maybe a better tool?

For any ar 15 bolt clp works best. Always did fine in 23 years in he army. And by clp I mean the real deal.....the shit that has a tinge of ammonia smell and has white stuff in the bottom of the bottle that you have to shake it up first to use.

For me personally I only use 3 things.

Hunting irons and revolvers I use hoppes 9 and coat with remiol from the can when done.

Milsurps, autoloading pistols and ar get real clp for cleaning and lube. Always worked on my weapons in the army even on belt fed.

For a leaded up rifled barrel Remington x40 bore cleaner and follow the instructions. Then clean with the above depending on type of gun.

Simple......effective......no rust on any of my guns and they work perfectly.
That's all

Anyone here use Slip 2000? I like it.

I love it. I clean with Mpro-7 and lube with slip 2000. Sometimes I just use Slip 2000 as a CLP if I'm in a hurry. They're both non-toxic and odor free. I used Hoppes #9 when I first started shooting back ing the 80's. While I have a fondness for the smell (reminds me of my youth) I value my health over nostalgia.

I love it. I clean with Mpro-7 and lube with slip 2000. Sometimes I just use Slip 2000 as a CLP if I'm in a hurry. They're both non-toxic and odor free. I used Hoppes #9 when I first started shooting back ing the 80's. While I have a fondness for the smell (reminds me of my youth) I value my health over nostalgia.

Is there some data out there on clp and hoppes 9 that I should be aware of that says its toxic to humans?

Sorry I missed JB on my list. FANTASTIC STUFF WHEN USED WITH KROIL. Brownell’s I have found to the cheapest.

Been using JB's bore paste for breaking in my match barrels...the stuff just works absolute wonders on bores and it's non-abrasive. No idea what's in it, but i'll be using it to break in every barrel from this point forward.

By CLP I assume you are referring to "Break Free". While this stuff is a great lube I can't see any advantage to using it for a cleaner.

Wil Scheumann has warned against using solvents like brake cleaner in his barrels. Based on this recommendation I use brake cleaner for most of the pistol, but not the bore. I also have a 50 CAL ammo box with a gallon of mineral spirits in it to soak the parts in. This set up works well as there are very few fumes to stink up the house.

M Pro 7 for the bore with "Chore Boy" pads for lead removal.

For lube I use 20w50 synthetic motor oil mixed with a little superfine moly powder. This mix works very well for a small fraction of the cost of gun oil.

FYI......clp stands for "cleaner, lubricant, protectant". It's one stop shopping for cleaning a combat weapon. Not sure why you would think it's not good for cleaning. The military clp dissolves carbon VERY well.

Is there some data out there on clp and hoppes 9 that I should be aware of that says its toxic to humans?

Here's the safety data sheet for #9. http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/files/9d/9dc3db35-232c-4353-bc5c-9b3e79cfc834.pdf A key ingredient is Amyl Acetate. Here's some info on it. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0031-rev.pdf It's a skin and mucous membrane irritant. I'm no chemist but I simply try to avoid using irritating solvents.
CLP has teflon in it and there is some concern that it's carcinogenic though possibly only when burned.
As a general rule I try to minimize contact with harsh chemicals whether or not there's proof that they are toxic. If there is a milder product that works equally well I'll use it instead.

Here's the safety data sheet for #9. http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/files/9d/9dc3db35-232c-4353-bc5c-9b3e79cfc834.pdf A key ingredient is Amyl Acetate. Here's some info on it. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0031-rev.pdf It's a skin and mucous membrane irritant. I'm no chemist but I simply try to avoid using irritating solvents.
CLP has teflon in it and there is some concern that it's carcinogenic though possibly only when burned.
As a general rule I try to minimize contact with harsh chemicals whether or not there's proof that they are toxic. If there is a milder product that works equally well I'll use it instead.

Thanks for the info. If it concerns you by all means.....do what you feel is best.

Here is another tidbit of info. Lead is bad for you too and is VERY prevalent at gun ranges. Have you ever had your levels tested?

Thanks for the info. If it concerns you by all means.....do what you feel is best.

Here is another tidbit of info. Lead is bad for you too and is VERY prevalent at gun ranges. Have you ever had your levels tested?

Oh I know! I have had it tested and it was low but I'm pretty careful. I shoot plated bullets and when indoors I try to only shoot my reloads with lead-free primers (though I'm running low on those).

Otis makes a "bio" line of products. Mpro 7/Hoppes Elite is non toxic non ionic cleaner and they also make a non toxic copper remover, both of which just take some time to work. Froglube, and several other CLPs are based on modified coconut/vegetable oils with surficants. Mrpo/Hoppe Elite's oil is some sort of modified vegetable oil without the surficants found in the other company's CLPs. The issue with any non-toxic oil/clp is that they congeal at low temperatures and go from slick to a wax. The non-coconut based ones can go rancid after 2+ years as well. Froglube itself is known occasionally to revert to a wax consistency at room temperature (like conventional non-modified coconut oil does) after a few months under certain conditions as well.

I did, and had to for a couple of years. I was at a 17. Now I am at 1, but it was pretty scary. I use nitrile gloves to clean anything. I use D-Lead wherever I can. Lastly, to avoid exposure while cleaning my barrels, I tend to let the solvents soak in. One or two patches, and everything is clean.

I switched to MPro. I like the smell of Hoppes but it just gets to be too much in the space I clean my firearms in. I have a bunch of Ballistol around as well.

I'll be getting a better ultrasonic soon and will probably get some Simple Green Extreme for it.

I use Hoppes oil and Shooters Choice grease. Grease is more or less just for slides in terms of the normal cleaning routine.

Back
Top Bottom