• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite Hunting Recipes

edsmith said:
p.s i love kimchee

Oh me too! I grew up on Hanscom AFB and we had neighbors of every nationality. One of our next door neighbors when I was growing up used to make it. I used to help her dig the hole in the ground to put the pot into, for the price of a BIG jar of it when she was finished.

Good stuff!

Adam

I refrain from eating things that are still moving, except earthworms (only once). There's a story to that one, though.

ETA - I've gotten a jar of Kimchee in the past, when I cracked the seal it started to move. Just couldn't do it. Can't be much worse than real Sauerkraut. Both are rotten cabbage.

Nope can't do it. My mother would try to get us to eat it when we were kids and would hide it in various food. Mashed potatoes was her favorite. There is not enough ketchup in this world for me to drown it in and not taste it. Tried it.

Lynne said:
No, I don't hunt, however hubby and I have friends that do and every so often they give us some venison or whatever the "catch of the day" was. Only problem is, especially with the venison, I don't know how to prepare it so that it does the meat justice.

Any favorites you'd like to share??

I'll revisit this since it's season and I just got back from a hunt.

It's important to know what part you have. Ask the folks when they give it you.

Backstrap and the tenderloins are by far the best cuts. Each hind quarter has four roasts - a large football shaped roast, two flat roasts, and a round roast. The round roast can be used just like backstrap.

You can marinade and pan-fry or grill just about any of it. Keep in mind, as Nickle stated, remove ALL fat and silver skin. When cooking, only cook until the juices just turn brown. This will be medium rare and anything longer will become shoe leather.

There is other meat around the hind quarters that get trimmed into stew meat. You can use as just that or grind into burger to use as sausage or hamburger substitute (doesn't make good patties, though).

You can grill or crockpot the large raost just like any other by using a good beef roast recipe. Flat roasts can be cut into steaks or smoked on a grill or smoker.

Front shoulders can be grilled whole, bone-in, or used for stew meat or jerky.

If you're going to grind some into burger to use for chili or spaghetti sauce, cut in 1/3 of the weight with regular hamburger or ground pork for the fat.

Hope some of this helps.

Thanks Tony. Speaking of venison...Ed got some from one of his co-workers last week. I don't know where it came from, but it was cut like a small steak. Ed cubed it and sauted it with some garlic and stuff. It was pretty good. :D

Though I don't turn perfectly good venison into hamburg, this info is for those who do.

Use beef fat to replace the venison fat you would need to make decent hamburger.

I don't turn good venison into burger, either. However, there IS a lot of trim meat that is not good for anything else. Just like beef, it's basically the scraps.

Lynne - That might have been backstrap. You can marinade that with something like Allegro's and put it on the grill like I outlined above. Outstanding! Just have hime ask what part it is and you'll have a better idea how to best cook it.

I turn most of it into Stew Meat. Nothing I like better than Venison Stew, except for Moose Stew and Moose Burgers.

Had Venison Chili and Moose Burgers for my birthday dinner in Deer Camp in Northern Maine last year.

Nickle said:
I turn most of it into Stew Meat. Nothing I like better than Venison Stew, except for Moose Stew and Moose Burgers.

Had Venison Chili and Moose Burgers for my birthday dinner in Deer Camp in Northern Maine last year.

That's what I stated above. I cut some stew meat into small chunks and made chili one night last week. If you package the stew meat into 1 pound each, you can thaw it, grind it, and use for spaghetti, meat loaf, etc. Also for making sausage. Just cut it a 1/3 like I said for the fat.

Also, venison is the only meat that can be thawed and refrozen as many times as you want.

Lynne said:
TonyD said:
Also, venison is the only meat that can be thawed and refrozen as many times as you want.

Really? Now THAT'S handy to know.

Yes, something I just found out last week on my trip. Since these folks have been doing this longer than I've been alive, I tend to take them at their word.

Venison stroganoff

The best recipe i have ever had was venison stroganoff.
Here ya go:

1 1/4 pound backstrap - sliced
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 pound mushrooms -- sliced
1 1/2 tablespoon shallots or green onions -- minced
1 medium onions, -- sliced
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup sweet sherry or desert wine (beer is a great substitute too)
1 can beef broth (use good all natural stuff w/ no msg or you can make your own from the venison bones and carrots, onions and celery)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup sour cream

The action parts:
Slice meat thin, about 2"x2" (it is easiest to slice real thin by partially freezing the meat first) - be sure ALL fat and silverskin is trimmed off.
Heat 1 Tbsp. of butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan. Saute the mushrooms over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Add the onions and/or shallots, saute 2 minutes more. . .remove ALL from skillet.

Heat remaining butter and oil, until it bubbles, then add the meat and brown very quickly, not more than a couple of minutes (you want the meat very pink inside.) Remove the browned meat from the pan. Put the flour in the pan and mix in with the oil in the pan until well blended. Gradually add the alcohol and the beef broth, being sure the mixture is SMOOTH. Cook over high heat and turn to medium-high and reduce by 1/2.

Add meat and season with ONLY salt and pepper (to taste) and add the mushrooms/onions. Cook over medium-low heat about 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. JUST BEFORE serving stir in sour cream. DO NOT ALLOW TO COME TO A BOIL- it will curdle. Serve over noodles.

Enjoy, the best darn stroganoff you have ever had!
Remember that in a lean meat like venison, long cooking is the enemy. Hot and fast, rare at most!

Also, I find that pork is an EXCELLENT fat additive to venison for burgers and such.

When ever I grill venison steaks, I include some fat.. It may be a real strong rub with olive oil or a wrap in bacon, but the meat fibers always can get some lubrication help from something other then the fat in the meat.

I obsess about cooking, especially with game, please let me know if you want to share methods of preparation or whatever!

If your going to have good venison you've got to start with good meat. Get all the silver skin, bone and fat off the meat before you freeze it. If your butcher has a power saw to cut the deer up, take it someplace else. There is nothing like bone dust and marrow in the meat to ruin the taste.

Well we will see what all the fuss is about...Back strap is thawing and I will be pan searing it with butter and a blend of spices!

Turkey Soup With Dumplings

Turkey Soup With Dumplings - Something to do with the leftovers - I make this after every turkey meal we have.
This is pretty basic but very tasty. You can also add more or less anything you want plus increase the amounts.
I always add some extra water and I never measure the vegetable ingredients as more is better.

Soup:

1 Turkey Carcass
Turkey Scraps
8 Cups Water
4 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 1 Lb. Can Tomatoes
1 Cup Sliced Celery
1 Cup Sliced Carrot
½ Cup Chopped Onion
1 Bay Leaf
¼ Cup Parsley

In a large kettle, combine carcass, meat, water, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours. Remove turkey from the carcass and add to the broth
along with undrained tomatoes, celery, carrot, onion, parsley, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.

Dumplings:

½ Cup Water
4 Tblspn Butter
½ Cup Flour
1 tspn Baking Powder
1/8 tspn Salt
2 Eggs
1 Tblspn parsley

Combine water and butter and bring to a boil. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until
mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add eggs. Beat until smooth.
Add parsley. Drop dumplings batter by tablespoon into simmering broth. Cover and simmer
another 20 minutes. Makes six servings.

Last edited:
Best Bambi Recipe

I just cooked my last backstrap from last season... nailed a big one with a bow....

I took the backstrap, thawed it...

Then, in a vacuum bag... I added: lemon juice, seltzer water, crushed red peppers, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, crushed garlic... pan fried until med-rare.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [wink]

Now I am out of my tuna and backstaps... down to ground venison only [crying]

My father has always cooked venison in a frying pan with butter and sauteed onions, and some garlic, comes out great every time. I have tried many different ways of cooking it at game feeds and nothing else compares

(2) VENISON RECIPES (Chili & Pasta Sauce)

I like to cook a lot with venison ground burger. Here are my two favorite recipes. I have not has a complaint yet. In fact, I often serve to non-hunters who say " This is really good...how'd ya make it". Enjoy.

ROMEO's VENISON PASTA SAUCE

Makes about 2.5 quarts of sauce.

MARINADE: Marinade 1.5 pounds of venison burger overnight in the following mix:

- 1 Cup white chardonnay wine
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper

- Add ingredients above and loose venison burger in bowl. Add just enough cold water to cover meat. Stir to mix and blend. Cover and marinade overnight in refrigerator.

COOKING:

- Drain venison from marinade.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in skillet on stove, increase heat and brown venison.

- Transfer venison to a 3 quart pot and add: One 24 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce ( ready-seasoned if desired ), One 14.5 oz. can of Zesty Jalapenos diced tomatoes(undrained), One 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes.(undrained)

- STIR SAUCE TO MIX.

Heat on stove and serve over linguine or favorite pasta

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEVE’S VENISON CHILI

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 pound venison burger
- 1 large onion, chopped(about 2 cups)
- 2(15.5 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained-or chili beans
- 4 oz. of fresh Portabella mushrooms, or 1 (4 oz can) of mushrooms
- 3 (14.5 oz.) cans chili-style chunky tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground Cayenne Red Pepper, (depending on taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon Chili powder

COOKING DIRECTIONS:

- Place undrained beans, mushrooms, and undrained tomatoes in a Crockpot, or on stovetop in a cast iron pot or heavy aluminum container.
- Cook onions in skillet until tender, then add to ingredients in cooking container, stir
- Add the garlic powder, parsley, oregano, ground red pepper, black pepper and chili powder to ingredients in cooking container, stir
- Using a skillet, cook venison burger only until brown, then add to ingredients in cooking container, stir
- Bring the mixture to boiling, reduce heat, then simmer, uncovered, for about 1 ½ hours, or until chili reaches desired consistency, stirring occasionally.

OPTIONAL: For hearty “Country-Style Venison Chili ”, stir in sliced, fully-
cooked Sweet Italian Sausage after Chili has finished cooking

NOTE: For cooking two batches double ingredients; for 3 batches triple ingredients, etc. Unused Chili may be frozen for up to one year.

p.s. The Country-Style is awesome for the hearty appetite.

GO TO THE BUTCHER UNLESS YOU GRIND YOUR ON MEAT....HAVE THEM GRIND IN BACON FAT (ENDS AND PEICES LOOKS LIKE THE FAT FROM BACON STRIPS )WITH THE VENISON INSTEAD OF BEEF FAT ....1 LB OF BACON FAT TO 4 LBS OF VENISON ....OUT OF THIS WORLD ....BEST BURGERS YOU'LL EVER EAT ...PLUS CAN BE USED FOR MEATPIES OR ANYTHING ELSE ...LASAGNA IS MY FAVORITE

Venison Barbecue

Venison Barbecue

3 lb Venison stew meat
1 cup Onion, diced
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup Red wine vinegar
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Lawrey's Natural Choice Seasoning for meat
2 tsp Seasoned salt
1 lb Seasoned bacon
2 cup Catsup
1/2 cup Molasses
1/2 cup Brown sugar

Place venison, onion, garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and seasoning in crock pot.
Cook on high for 1 to 2 hours until meat is cooked. Cook bacon and crumble or chop. Add
bacon, catsup, molasses and brown sugar. Turn crock pot on low and heat for the rest
of the day. Serve over rice, potatoes, or toast.

NOTE: Venison can be substituted with any red meat, just cut in 1-inch cubes.

Back
Top Bottom