• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Favorite Military "sayings"

FrugalFannie

NES Member
I had one pop into my head today and figured "let's start a thread on NES!"
All my great ideas come after my 2 cups of morning coffee.
So list up your favorite sayings and leave off any explanations as "those who know, know. and those who don't..."

Here's my contribution:

Un-ass that seat!

Un-ass that seat!
The first time my wife and I flew together I explained to her my opinion that the US should have a manditory 2 year military service.

I told her this just after we landed. when she asked why I thought this was a good idea I told her because I was pretty sure that was how long it would take to teach Americans how to un-ass an airplane properly.

She had never heard the term before and nearly pissed herself laughing.

After finishing something satisfactorily (and pleased with ones own performance) :

"Just like New York"

also, when someone adds their voice to an ongoing conversation :

"Another country heard from "

"C'mere hard charger..."

"C'mere wild man..."

(These usually preceded ass chewings.)

"Look down at your left breast pocket and ask yourself if your behavior would cut it on Iwo Jima (or at Chosin/Khe Sanh/Hue, etc.)."

(Reminding us to live up to our legacy.)

"...otherwise the 44th Anal Intercourse Battalion will sneak up on you and have their way with you."

(Plt Sgt reminding us why it was important to maintain all around security.)

"MOVE OUT AND DRAW FIRE!"

(A company Gunny who was pissed at the Plt Sgts who pushed back on his plan a little bit too much. It was a training operation.)

Those are the ones that come to mind immediately.

There's probably more if I looked at some old photos or gave it some more thought.

“It would behoove you…”

It’s one of my favorites because it immediately lets me know that I should judge and question everything that person says.

I lost track of the number of soldiers who thought the phrase was, "It would be HUAH of you..."

I like, "Common sense, isn't." But that one isn't really military. So I'll nominate, "You are thirteen up and five down, dickhead."

“di di mou” was dying out as Vietnam vets retired.

“Orientate” a map or campus.

”Remove your head from your fourth point of contact.”

“Make it happen yesterday.”

And when an NCO or officer messed up badly enough that reports were written, “A non-career-enhancing event.”

When I went to the Army's Basic Airborne Course there was a Black Hat (instructor) there who wore an eye patch.

Some of us were talking a little bit in formation when we weren't really supposed to be.

He turns around and with a stone cold face says, "Do you know how well I can hear with just one eye?!"

It was hard not to stifle our laughter and we paid dearly for it.

Good times!

When I went to the Army's Basic Airborne Course there was a Black Hat (instructor) there who wore an eye patch.

Some of us were talking a little bit in formation when we weren't really supposed to be.

He turns around and with a stone cold face says, "Do you know how well I can hear with just one eye?!"

It was hard not to stifle our laughter and we paid dearly for it.

Good times!
Infantry OSUT 1981, the SDI (a 173rd ABN Vietnam vet) had a formation and a couple of the other drills were talking behind the formation.

"I want it so goddamned quiet" he said, "That I can hear a rat piss on cotton."

Everyone busted up. He just shook his head.

Back
Top Bottom