FCC radio mandate

As devnull said, this is old news.

The absolute deadline to narrowband is 1/1/2013.

I believe holders of commercial licenses have been getting notifications of it for a few years now.

I just heard about it the day I posted it. Its possible they knew for quite a while and were just dragging their feet, but then again, its possible they were doing one facility at a time, and we were just last on the list.

I heard that the "T" band 470-490 got a waiver and will not have to make the switch over.

T-band received a waiver only because in 11 years every public safety agency on T-band has to give up their frequencies and move somewhere else do to the D-Block public safety broadband network that our beloved president signed into law in March of this year. The frequency give back is already causing headaches for police and fire departments nation wide with no spectrum for them to move to.

One other headache that will affect hams that like to use commercial grade, part 90 radios in the amateur part 97 bands is that commercial radios (with few exceptions) going through the FCC certification process now cannot have wide FM capability. Icom's latest iDAS radio is afflicted in this manner.

One other headache that will affect hams that like to use commercial grade, part 90 radios in the amateur part 97 bands is that commercial radios (with few exceptions) going through the FCC certification process now cannot have wide FM capability. Icom's latest iDAS radio is afflicted in this manner.

I wonder if we will see a bandwidth reduction in 2m and 125cm sometime in the future. I know hams don't like to change but we did get rid of spark gap at least.

That sucks.
I take it that means Hams won't be able to use them on existing repeater systems.
Will that likely persuade Hams to go narrow band, or will the FCC be forcing it upon Hams too in the future?

That sucks.
I take it that means Hams won't be able to use them on existing repeater systems.
Will that likely persuade Hams to go narrow band, or will the FCC be forcing it upon Hams too in the future?

Zappa, I doubt most hams can be convinced to go narrow or narrow-digital. I'll make a prediction now that most ham repeaters will stay wide analog for at least the next 20 years!!! All I can say is that if you want a true commercial part 90 radio that you can also use on WIDE ham repeaters, you'll need to make your purchases in the near future, before those models are pulled.

Zappa, I doubt most hams can be convinced to go narrow or narrow-digital. I'll make a prediction now that most ham repeaters will stay wide analog for at least the next 20 years!!! All I can say is that if you want a true commercial part 90 radio that you can also use on WIDE ham repeaters, you'll need to make your purchases in the near future, before those models are pulled.
This.
And except for weekly nets, the 2M band seems silent 99% of the time, so I don't see that the expence and inconvenience of going narrow band fixes any problem.

Back
Top Bottom