Federal 9mm ammo problem?

Need some help with an ammo problem... well atleast i hope its just an ammo problem. Just put 200 rounds through my shield (9mm) at the range 100 blazer brass and 100 federal champ... the last box i had several faliures. Pulling the trigger and it goes "click" clear the round and see the primer is being struck but not in the center... the previous 150 rounds went through flawless. I loaded a mag with my self defense ammo and it went through without a hitch. So i didnt fire half of the last box, broke the gun down amd gave it a good cleaning then went back into the range to fire the last 25 rounds to see if the gun being dirty was the issue but still got alot of failures. I was at the range on Thursday and put 150 rounds through it without a problem so im hoping it was just a bad box of ammo... thanks in advance for the help

Me too... i have 1k rounds through my shield... first gun, ive only had it for two months..ive shot federal through it before without a problem... just that one box... hoping it was the ammo

Try it in a different 9mm gun. Could be an issue with the firing pin. Take the striker out and clean the hell out of it.

Did any of the primers burst??

Don't dismiss the possibility of it being limp wristing. Not going it to full battery is a classic sign of it. Could very well you being tired after throwing 200 rounds thru a compact. Does a toll on the muscles/hands/wrists. I thought I was experiencing something similar with my XDS 45, turned out to be a me issue and not the gun.

Email the manufacturer. I'm sure they will replace it.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't dismiss the possibility of it being limp wristing. Not going it to full battery is a classic sign of it. Could very well you being tired after throwing 200 rounds thru a compact. Does a toll on the muscles/hands/wrists. I thought I was experiencing something similar with my XDS 45, turned out to be a me issue and not the gun.

You calling him gay ? [laugh]

Champion is their cheap line. Plated bullets and what ever less expensive ways to manufacture ammo they can muster.

had another problem with FC yesterday at the range. pulled the trigger, "click".... racked the slide casing ejects but the bullet itself was stuck in the barrel. had to take the gun down to get it out...

Heat will deteriorate smokeless powder; If you get oil in the primer it will kill it, (& oil on the cartridge case will decrease friction with the chamber wall greatly increasing the force on the bolt) - i.e. never "lube" your ammo; keep it cool & dry.

ammo is stored either in ammo can or in my safe... it only happened with one bullet... i shot 150 rounds yesterday and that was the only failure...curious to why it didnt fire... also for the future if this happens again is there a proper way to dislodge the bullet from the barrel? i just tapped the barrel on the table and it fell out

- - - Updated - - -

different box but same "batch" i bought a couple cases before the election... just trying to shoot through it now to get rid of it... last time ill buy FC... ive picked up a few boxes of blazer brass since and have had zero issues with it

ammo is stored either in ammo can or in my safe... it only happened with one bullet... i shot 150 rounds yesterday and that was the only failure...curious to why it didnt fire... also for the future if this happens again is there a proper way to dislodge the bullet from the barrel? i just tapped the barrel on the table and it fell out

- - - Updated - - -

different box but same "batch" i bought a couple cases before the election... just trying to shoot through it now to get rid of it... last time ill buy FC... ive picked up a few boxes of blazer brass since and have had zero issues with it

Did you get powder all over your pistol after ejecting the case from stuck bullet? Sounds like there was no powder at all in that round and the bullet just barely stuck into the rifling. Or that particular bullet was "thick" and seated a bit long and lodged into the rifling?

I've been hearing of Federal problems. If my memory serves me correctly, keep the boxes that gave you problems and give them a call, and they'll take care of you. Not sure what they send people...ammo? Coupon? Voucher for free ammo?

There's another thread someone just posted on their box of Federal having several no charges:

https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...9mm-Luger-115grain-FMJ-no-powder-in-cartridge

it's non issue. bullets jumping their crimps in a 9mm LCR. well known issue. ammo got blamed but unrelated.

- - - Updated - - -

Need some help with an ammo problem... well atleast i hope its just an ammo problem. Just put 200 rounds through my shield (9mm) at the range 100 blazer brass and 100 federal champ... the last box i had several faliures. Pulling the trigger and it goes "click" clear the round and see the primer is being struck but not in the center... the previous 150 rounds went through flawless. I loaded a mag with my self defense ammo and it went through without a hitch. So i didnt fire half of the last box, broke the gun down amd gave it a good cleaning then went back into the range to fire the last 25 rounds to see if the gun being dirty was the issue but still got alot of failures. I was at the range on Thursday and put 150 rounds through it without a problem so im hoping it was just a bad box of ammo... thanks in advance for the help

clean your striker channel. do not lubricate it. then try a few different ammo types. very unlikely your gun is out of spec, although striker channel may be gummed up. also possible your gun was not fully in battery if the chamber, breech or extractor are filthy.

hold off on blaming ammo.

Can somebody educate me on how an off center firing pin strike (according to the OP) is an ammunition problem?

I never shoot the "Champion" brass stuff but today I did and never again.
This stuff is so unevenly packed it's pathetic.
I saw FS had a ton of it so I figured I'd grab a box and give it a go.
Every third round or so it looked like I was shooting +P ammo out of a
ported barrel,(this through my shield and my 9C) it was ridiculous, the muzzle flash was enormous,
then a couple of rounds later it would feel like there was barely enough powder to get
the thing out of the end of the gun.
What total junk....lesson learned
The difference between this stuff and the "American Eagle" federal ammo
is like night and day.

Last edited:
Heat will deteriorate smokeless powder; If you get oil in the primer it will kill it, (& oil on the cartridge case will decrease friction with the chamber wall greatly increasing the force on the bolt) - i.e. never "lube" your ammo; keep it cool & dry.
Are you drunk?

The Federal aluminum casing 9mm will not cycle through my Shield.
FTE every other magazine. One so bad I had to remove the spent round with a small screwdriver.

Went to the range today with two boxes of Federal aluminum. 100 from 10/15 and 100 from 11/16. I date my ammo.. The 2016 ammo gave my g19 and vp9 nothing but problems while the 2015 ammo ran great. I'm the biggest federal fanboy around but after today I went and bought new non-federal carry ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom