• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal firearms license

I am debating on applying for my FFL. I was wondering if anyone on here has their FFL and how they feel about getting it. I am thinking of getting it to buy and sell guns for a small profit. I am retired and looking for a little extra money as well as purchasing for personal collection. Is it worth it and does anyone have any idea how much can be made on a part time bases.
Thank you

As long as your business is properly zoned. It's very easy. As long as the town isn't out to get you (Concord, Worcester), your fine.

What constitutes an office? I've heard of people just putting a cabinet in a room being used by another company and that being sufficient. But if your trying to make a few bucks on the side, then I assume you want a half decent space.

Guns have very low profit margins. Transfers and accessories have the highest.

I am debating on applying for my FFL. I was wondering if anyone on here has their FFL and how they feel about getting it. I am thinking of getting it to buy and sell guns for a small profit. I am retired and looking for a little extra money as well as purchasing for personal collection. Is it worth it and does anyone have any idea how much can be made on a part time bases.
Thank you

The FFL isn't the issue, finding a distributor that wants to work with the small guys is....the unnamed big players in the gun business often buy guns at what it costs us small guys from a distributor because we don't do that kind of volume...also, you'll learn to hate the A word...

I'm friends with a small time FFL. It's very difficult for a small FFL to have prices people are willing to pay - the distributors, the ones who will sell to small shops, don't start giving discounts until you do $xyz amount of business with them. Something small startup businesses often neglect is advertising, too. Think about how people will know about your shop, and what will set you apart from your competition.

Something else to think about is incorporation and insurance - neither of which are free.

Our club had our own FFL working for us. Anytime any of us wanted to order something we went to him and we worked out a very reasonable xfer fee for club members, too. This fella had his ear to the ground, too, and would always be on the lookout for something we were wanting. And, if we had someting to sell, he'd have contacts that he would mine for us. I had a Zoli SXS shotgun that he sold for me to a fella that only collected Italian stuff. HE was like that.

All I'm suggesting here is that if you belong to club it might be a good way to establish a small base of business if you were to work something similar to our FFL. We might be able to beat the price elsewhere but the convenience and confidence we had in him was well worth a few more bucks.

Rome

I suspect the best way to make a small fortune in firearms is to start with a large fortune.

I see two ways to take that statement, and there's truth in both of them. First, it's easy to lose a ton of money starting a business. Second, in order to get good pricing from distributors (and thus be able to offer good pricing to customers while having some kind of profit margin), you have to spend a good deal of money with the distributors. So it can take some significant capital to get a gun shop started and be in a position to become profitable.

The C&R license (003) was developed so that guys who wanted to buy for themselves and collect could be pared away from the true FFL (001) with the difference being that the 03 C&R guy has to only deal in C&R eligible firearms. The ATF was having to deal with too many 001 fellas who were only in it for themselves.

Rome

I found that it was cheaper to buy a S&W shield from an online dealer than I could buy it wholesale with my FFL. Low volume dealers do not get good pricing. Also, with the internet, there is always someone (or many people) willing to sell it cheaper.

I found that it was cheaper to buy a S&W shield from an online dealer than I could buy it wholesale with my FFL. Low volume dealers do not get good pricing. Also, with the internet, there is always someone (or many people) willing to sell it cheaper.

Ive found this a handful of times over....Blows my mind how they get prices that low.

Ive found this a handful of times over....Blows my mind how they get prices that low.

Buyers groups, high volume connections with senior sales reps on the mid level distributors that are usually busy ****ing everyone else over.

-Mike

The C&R license (003) was developed so that guys who wanted to buy for themselves and collect could be pared away from the true FFL (001) with the difference being that the 03 C&R guy has to only deal in C&R eligible firearms. The ATF was having to deal with too many 001 fellas who were only in it for themselves.

Up until the Clinton admin came along BATFE didn't really give most 01s a hard time- they just assumed people have FFLs to stay legal. They didn't care that every 10th guy was an 01. They started acting like large type douchebags once an edict came down from the admin to reduce the number of gun dealers in the country... that's when becoming an 01 became way more of a pain in the ass. Before that time they were basically given out to anyone who bothered to fill out the paperwork right and displayed a modicum of knowledge to the ATF type that showed up.

-Mike

Could be an interesting opportunity for a bunch of low volume shops to band together to make a large purchase to get the pricing.

What he said. One of my FFL friends buys guns online from the same retailer that I have done business with. I'd mention who it is, since it;s perfectly legal to buy guns online and have them transferred to you through an FFL... but every time I post a website name here I get chastised for doing so. (It's sometimes much ruder than chastising but I'm being nice about it).

Thank you all for your information. I got some serious thinking to do.

Boston,

The biggest issue around getting a FFL is zoning. If your town zoning people don't fight you then all that is left is showing the ATF that you actually intend to engage in commerce in firearms.

That is not difficult to do. So the only challenge is zoning.

Regarding distributor pricing. If you have $10,000 to invest in inventory, you can get decent pricing. The problem is really for the very small guys who don't stock anything. For example, a couple of years ago Ruger ran a promotion (I remember this one which is why I'm using it as an example).

If you bought a 6 LCPs, you got a 7th (with a laser) for free. That had the effect of reducing dealer cost from about $285 to about $240. A significant amount.

So if you figure you can sell it for $329, the act of stocking means that you can make $90 rather than $45. Twice as much.

$45 is not worth your time, even if you are retired. 6 ruger LCPs will cost you $1710 to buy. If you have the $1700 to put out, you can make money.

Be cautious of deals that companies run where in order to get the good guns, you need to buy the clunkers. Three years ago, FN was running a deal where if you bought a bunch of guns, you got some free guns.
The only problem was that in order to do the deal,and get the ultra hot SCAR17, you had to take 2 FS2000s. Which might take you 5 years to sell. What a lot of guys do is buy the good guns, and then sell the clunkers close to cost on Gunbroker.

Which leads to the next thing. Gunbroker can be a great way to dump clunkers.

One more thing. People have mentioned accessories as a good source of profits. But by far the most profitable thing I sold, back when I did retail stuff was used guns. Its amazing how people will argue with you all day over a few bucks when selling retail, but when they walk into a gun shop, they just bend over and take it. I tried to be fair. I wanted to make $150 on a used gun. I usually did, and I usually paid more than other dealers.

Another great way to make a LOT of money is to buy up entire estates. Of course you have to have money to make money this way. Search the local papers for estate sales. Then get go to some of the sales and ask to talk to the person running it. Make this person your friend. If they like you, they will call you whenever a widow decides to downsize and move to florida and sell all of her stuff, including her dead husbands guns.

I've been bitched at for paying too much by another dealer because I offered the lady 45% of the retail value of the guns. This guy was at no more than 20% and she'd have taken it if it wasn't for me. Of course there were clunkers, but I didn't value them very much.

In another case, I got to the lady's house and immediately saw that I was in over my head. There were 3 Accuracy International rifles. A .308, a .338 Lapua, and a .50 BMG, along with a McMillan sniper rifle. To make matters worse, she had a bunch of WWI and WWII 1911s. I didn't have a spare $30,000 in cash and there was no way I could put a number on the 1911s.

So I did the next best thing. I called a friend who ran a larger store and he bought up all the stuff. In exchange, I got a very nice rifle for nothing.

I hope this helps.

Don

Edit: The number was actually closer to $40k. Now that I think of it, the rifles were all topped with Schmidt and Bender or Swarovski glass.

Last edited:
I guess the big companies don't do scratch and dent sale. I wouldn't mind getting a 686 with a few surface imperfections for $100+ less

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I guess the big companies don't do scratch and dent sale. I wouldn't mind getting a 686 with a few surface imperfections for $100+ less

There are a lot of them out there. They are called, used guns.

Remember every 686 made in the last 20 years has a lifetime service policy.

There are a lot of them out there. They are called, used guns.

Remember every 686 made in the last 20 years has a lifetime service policy.

Yea but used guns arnt normally that much of a great deal, firearms hold their values really well. Scratch and dent sales in new items (such as a washer or dryer) tend to be closer to 25% to 50% off

Yea but used guns arnt normally that much of a great deal, firearms hold their values really well. Scratch and dent sales in new items (such as a washer or dryer) tend to be closer to 25% to 50% off

That's because a washer or dryer takes up a cubic yard of warehouse space, and that costs the seller money - floorspace is money. A gun is much more compact. It's more important to keep the bigger stuff moving out the door.

Back
Top Bottom