• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal Gold Medal questions

I just picked up a box of this stuff (.223 69 grain) @ almost $1.00 a round it was a major purchase.

So I open up the box to look at the rounds and I was expecting to see shiny clear brass.These rounds look just like the XM193 I bought,kind of used looking.They have the same markings as the XM on the bottom of the round "FC 223 REM " and it got me too thinking that I got ripped off.I started to think that somebody just put XM193 in the box instead of the "Good stuff".(Yes,I am paranoid)

I know they are made by the same company,but how am I supposed to tell them apart,say if they fell out the box and got mixed up with the XM stuff ?

1) Is the only diff between the XM193 and the Gold Medal the grain count ?

2) Shouldn't there be diff markings on the bottom ?

3) $1.00 a round is insane ($14.99 for 20)

4) If I am being paranoid,the ONLY way to tell these rounds apart is a digital scale, correct ?

Greg I don't know the specifics on the Federal Gold Medal. I do know that in all the high power matches that I have shot in, that I've never seen anybody use the stuff.

That doesn't mean it isn't good. Looking at what you paid for it, it's overpriced. However I do think that if it were decent ammo I would have seen at least on person using it.

If you want stuff that will hold tight I would consider using the Blackhills reman. It's $25 for a box of 50, and I can shoot in the 480's with the stuff and I'm still rusty. :D

Fourseasons has it, just don't buy the 77gr, I normally buy most of it there. :D

Federal GMM is good stuff. It's new ammo, not reloads like Black Hills blue box. Price out some of Black Hills new stuff (red box) and see the difference.

The GMM should be a hollow point and that's how you'll tell the difference. You don't see it used much in matches because of the cost. Most people either used the BH blue box or reload their own.

I got the ammo at Collectors Firearms in Stoneham,it was the same price as Four Seasons.

Stupid question here Tony,but how do I tell if it is hollow point ?

I just got back from the range and I couldn't bring myself to load up one of these rounds.I think I might just make a frame showcasing the rounds and put it on the wall to admire :D I am not exactely poor,but this sheet is friggin expensive.

Ok cool,at least I didn't get the shaft.The tip of the lead has a hole going through it.

I am pretty sure I will never fire this stuff,I can't bring myself to squeeze the trigger on a (.223) round that costs +- $.80

Why did I get them Derek must be wondering :D Well it was the first time at Collectors and I was just basically looking around.I was thinking about the 1000 rds of Lake City XM193PD loose for $170.00,but changed my mind.So I just picked up an ammo box and a hogue grip,and I figured what the hell,I came this far and I might as well spend $30.00.The guys at collectors were good friendly people.I spread the wealth and went to Four Seasons to buy 500rds of XM193,only to read that Riley's has the same stuff for $89.95 [evil]

If we ever have a meet,I will bring this ammo for everyone to admire :p

Fourseasons has it, just don't buy the 77gr, I normally buy most of it there

Better get on down there,they only have 5 bxs left as of yesterday 10AM :p

I didn't say it was worth $16/20 rounds, I was simply explaining what it is and why. I've shot some and it's tight. However, it's not worth it to shoot in a service rifle match. BH's red box is $35/50 rounds, it's new stuff, too. That's the difference.

GMM in .223 or .308 is for precision / sniper work where factory new ammo has to be used. Can't go to court and explain why you were using a "home rolled" round. Put's the liabilty on the manufacturer.

Greg I don't know the specifics on the Federal Gold Medal. I do know that in all the high power matches that I have shot in, that I've never seen anybody use the stuff.
I used several years back when I was trying out high power shooting. It will do a pretty darn good job out to 300 yards. At 600 yards, on a windy range, you'll probably want something heavier. But you can get 10s and Xs with it on the 600 yard line.

The avid competitors generally load their own. If you can handle the time investment, that's the way to go. But Gold Medal is good stuff -- not to be sneered at.

Back
Top Bottom