Federal Law Enforcement 9MM Luger Ammo 115 Grain + P +

So I came across some 9mm +P+ from Federal at a reasonably decent price and bought some last week online and re check the price and seen the price has risen 60 bucks from last week and was thrilled that I bought it when I did. However my buddy says that I should not shoot. +P+ it going to damage my pistols he explained. I plan on using anyway through G19 and my M&P9c soon and I am not concerned. But should I be? Any thoughts?

If it's 9PBLE it wont damage any pistol worth owning. I've used it in my Glocks, Sigs, and CZs without any
problems.

You might wear out springs and such faster if you shoot tons of it, all the time.... but most people, don't.

-Mike

+P+ shit is just sketchy because there's no actual specs for it, so you don't know how hot it really is. I would think that Federal LE should be okay though modern guns though.

1) there's an ammo section in NES

2) 9BPLE had a place in the 90's. there are at least a dozen better defensive ammunition choices today that achieve superior terminal ballistics with normal pressures. sorry to those who love +P's but it accomplishes nothing

3) if want to push a 9mm projectile over 1200 ft/s just get a 357 sig, G31 or Sig 226/229. safer for the firearm and much better selection of projectiles.

Last edited:
So I came across some 9mm +P+ from Federal at a reasonably decent price and bought some last week online and re check the price and seen the price has risen 60 bucks from last week and was thrilled that I bought it when I did. However my buddy says that I should not shoot. +P+ it going to damage my pistols he explained. I plan on using anyway through G19 and my M&P9c soon and I am not concerned. But should I be? Any thoughts?

I’ve shot it outta Glocks, Berettas, Kahr’s, an AR9, and a PC9. It works just fine at its purpose of creating a wound channel and cavitating water jugs. Does a perp consider ballistics when he’s bleeding out? No.

A very unscientific review from last summer

View: https://youtu.be/sxszRcIuXa0

If I was testing hot 9mm loads, then a blowback action carbine would be my last choice. While many blowback action carbines seem rugged and heavy, I think their actions are actually less robust than modern service pistols, since virtually all 9mm pistols have locked breach actions.

With that said, I would not be too concerned about the Federal 9BPLE rounds. Large amounts of that ammo has been fired through a wide range of service pistols, and I have not heard or problems, or even excessive wear. I am not convinced that these +P+ rounds are significantly hotter than the stronger +P rounds.

Also, the +P+ marking is a mixed bag. It is very true that there is no standard for +P+, and there are some very hot loadings in 9mm cases for a variety of uses. So I do believe in using real caution with rounds marked +P+. But it is also true that the +P+ symbol is kind of like advertising in some cases. So I think some ammo is marked +P+ as a marketing gimick to charge extra for "super duper" ammo, where the rounds are barely over +P pressure, or maybe not even.

1) there's an ammo section in NES

2) 9BPLE had a place in the 90's. there are at least a dozen better defensive ammunition choices today that achieve superior terminal ballistics with normal pressures. sorry to those who love +P's but it accomplishes nothing

It accomplishes 2 things-
It's wicked cheap right now eta:eek:r at least it WAS! Lol
It's still easily better than the bottom 60% of the 9mm SD ammo market.

3) if want to push a 9mm projectile over 1200 ft/s just get a 357 sig, G31 or Sig 226/229. safer for the firearm and much better selection of projectiles.
Lol, this is just fearmongering, I've launched assloads of pble and ra9ta from 9mms and never had a problem.

Last edited:
Lol, this is just fearmongering, I've launched assloads of pble and ra9ta from 9mms and never had a problem.

if some had a kaboom with +P+ in blowback, you'd be the first of 1000 forum members telling them they should have run standard pressure [rofl]
9BPLE is cheap for a reason, because nobody wants it except civs like myself who are fooled into it
HST or gold dot goes on sale every month for 40c per round (well at least it used to go on sale), making any of this silly old JHP business pointless
ah ammo arguments so much fun! they go round and round never end!

edit-
ugh i'm confused there another thread about ammo shortage where i ended up w same discussion
need to get my lead levels checked again

Last edited:
+P+ shit is just sketchy because there's no actual specs for it, so you don't know how hot it really is. I would think that Federal LE should be okay though modern guns though.
+P+ from major manufacturers is usually just a c hair hotter than +P. There's usually still room left on those loads, but they have to mark them +P+ because it still exceeds SAAMI +P.... things like pibble, RA9TA, etc, aren't that far off the reservation.
if some had a kaboom with +P+ in blowback, you'd be the first of 1000 forum members telling them they should have run standard pressure [rofl]

Nope, I'd tell them their gun was broken if were talking pibble or ra9ta, etc. That stuff doesn't blow up guns that aren't pieces of shit, full stop.

9BPLE is cheap for a reason, because nobody wants it except civs like myself who are fooled into it

It's cheap because LE ammo is all bonded core now, and im pretty sure pibble isn't. There were also some feds who used pibble, and they probably don't anymore. There are lots of worse choices though, some still being marketed to consumers...

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom