• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal "match" .308 Win ballistics

Federal has one on their website, It doesn't seem to what to load though

My old #'s show for a 100yrd Zero 168gr
200yrds -4.5"
300yrds -16.1"
400yrds -35.6"
500yrds -65.3"

I chronographed 30 rounds of the old Fed Red Box. I think they call it Gold Medal now. I got 2726 fps out of a 26 inch barrel.

Range in Yards with a 200 Yard Zero on a standard day.

0_______-2
100_____1.72
200_____0
300_____-8.09

and here's what I experienced and need to "decipher"

2" high and 12 oclock at 50 yards.
Almost 12" high and 12Oclock at 200. I was not the only shooter. The "high hits" were also experienced by another shooter.

Sierra Infinity says that 12 inches high at 200yds is about a 400 yd zero at the velocities I gave you.

What is the rifle and how long is the barrel and what is it that you are looking for? I know you said you are trying to decipher it, but that leaves a little to the imagination.

B

Sierra Infinity says that 12 inches high at 200yds is about a 400 yd zero at the velocities I gave you.

What is the rifle and how long is the barrel and what is it that you are looking for? I know you said you are trying to decipher it, but that leaves a little to the imagination.

B

Savage 110FP. 24" (?).
What I am trying to decipher is why 2" high at 50o yds became 12" at 200 yards. I understand trajectory but that "arc" seemed a bit odd.

Savage 110FP. 24" (?).
What I am trying to decipher is why 2" high at 50o yds became 12" at 200 yards. I understand trajectory but that "arc" seemed a bit odd.

When the bullet leaves the muzzle it is rising because the barrel points it up at an angle. It starts out ~ 2 inches below your line of sight to the target. It intersects with that line of sight at 25 or so yards and then keeps rising until it reaches max ordinate and then starts to fall. It will intersect the line of sight again at your zero ~400 yds. based on what you told me.

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words. [grin]

extbalxf6.gif

and this one.

plotnc9.gif

Hope this helps.

B

I think I got it now ...

Thanks. Those pictures are worth a thousand words. Once we've (friend and I) have finished breaking in the rifle at 100 yards (we adjusted the elevation for 100 yard shots where I could actually see the bull) and are satisfied with its accuracy, I'll start pushing it back ... but I think I'd probably not even be able to see a target at 400 yards [frown]

Last edited:
Sierra infinity. It is a nice program for the calculations it makes, but it has a clunky interface. I had to do a screen print and then past that and crop it. I can't figure out how to make it spit out a .jpg or .pdf of the tables. [thinking]

It is nice because it handles multiple BC figures that Sierra publishes for their bullets. Unfortunately Sierra has not seen fit to publish multiple BCs for other manufactures bullets.

I have not had the opportunity to figure out how accurately it predicts bullet drop or wind deflection but it comes up with figures that are pretty close to all the other programs that are free. Good enough for what I do with it. [smile]

B

Back
Top Bottom