federal premium "guard dog" home defense ammo. thoughts?

jeffC

NES Member
Picked up a box of these the other day in .40. Never heard of them before, but ive always trusted federal... So I figured id see what they were about. I was surprised to open them and see basically wadcutters, which are apparently filled with polymer, which is apparently excellent for home defense. Stops from going through your neighbors wall sorta thing. Anyone have any knowledge on these? Good buy or what?

They're Expanding Full Metal Jacket. Supposed to feed better than hollow points. Ive read mixed reviews of EFMJ and have no personal experience with it. Personal opinion, they're best for a gun that have issues with hollow points, and places like NJ with hollow point restrictions. I wouldn't expect them to go through walls any less than a quality hollow point, but probably cost more.

They are the Federal EFMJ re-branded. Best way I can sum it up, they are less effective than comparable hollowpoints for the given caliber. However they fill a market for areas where HP ammo is restricted for carry, or if your firearm chokes on HP's. Since the design, unlike HP's, does not rely strictly on hydraulic pressure to expand, they will expand through barriers - which is good or bad depending. They tend to be shallow penetrators in ballistic gel/people.

Back
Top Bottom