Federal Syntech?

I’ve used the 115 grain and didn’t have any problems. It was the target version and I believe I got it on sale for around $10/50

I’ve used the 115 grain and didn’t have any problems. It was the target version and I believe I got it on sale for around $10/50
Cool, did the synthetic coating foul anything internally and/or did you find cleaning the barrel after harder than normal?

It’s good stuff according to everyone I know that uses it (the 150 gr not 115). Very popular for action shooting like USPSA/IDPA. @darhan has plenty of experience with this ammo. Maybe he can chime in.

TSUSA is a good place to buy it. There’s another vendor where you could get it for slightly cheaper....

Anyway, Federal loads them with Alliant Sport Pistol powder which is a new clean burning powder.

Cool, did the synthetic coating foul anything internally and/or did you find cleaning the barrel after harder than normal?
Polymer coated bullets are very clean and don’t leave copper/lead fouling. I reload with polymer coated blue bullets and it takes me just a few passes with a brush and 1-2 patches and the bore is clean.

Polymer coated bullets are very clean and don’t leave copper/lead fouling. I reload with polymer coated blue bullets and it takes me just a few passes with a brush and 1-2 patches and the bore is clean.

Thanks for the responses! Also, if you're inclined, please PM me the cheaper place, if you'd rather not, I totally understand.

Hi All,

I need to order some 9mm target/range ammo and was thinking about Federal Syntech 147grain:
Federal Ammunition - Syntech Training Match - AE9SJ3

Have any of you tried this stuff and have anything good or bad to report?

Thanks,

-chris

Just out of pure curiosity, since I’d never heard of this ammo until just now, is this mainly used for match practice (USPSA/IDPA etc)? Or is this a substitute for say American Eagle/ S&B/Blazer FMJ? Just wondering what the benefit to this ammo is (just cleaner so easier to clean gun?).

This intrigued me, since I primarily use AE 124gr FMJ for range ammo, but I also did recently pick up a Shadow 2 to get into USPSA, so if the S2 prefers this 147gr Federal Syntech I’ll definitely pick some up.

Great ammo, I’ve used few thousands rounds of it without any issues in my SP01 Shadow and Shadow 2. Runs pretty clean and it’s subsonic. Great substitution for hand loaded ammo if you don’t have a chance to reload.

Just out of pure curiosity, since I’d never heard of this ammo until just now, is this mainly used for match practice (USPSA/IDPA etc)? Or is this a substitute for say American Eagle/ S&B/Blazer FMJ? Just wondering what the benefit to this ammo is (just cleaner so easier to clean gun?).

This intrigued me, since I primarily use AE 124gr FMJ for range ammo, but I also did recently pick up a Shadow 2 to get into USPSA, so if the S2 prefers this 147gr Federal Syntech I’ll definitely pick some up.

I only recently heard about it too.

-chris

The 150 gr syntech is very popular for action shooting due to the softer recoil impulse with the heavier bullet and fast burning powder. It's also clean burning compared to other types of ammo.

Your average S&B and Federal AE ammo is typically loaded warm and way over minor power factor (125) which is a waste if you want to shoot fast and have quicker follow up shots in USPSA. Blazer is hit or miss. I think it's loaded light since many people have failed chronograph at sanctioned matches from using this ammo.

I reload 9mm with 150 gr blue bullets, but if you don't reload and want a softer shooting ammo for USPSA in your S2 (also what I run in USPSA) then the 150 gr syntech is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom