• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Female carry locations??

My girlfriend took the basic pistol safety course almost one year ago from this week, and time is running out on her applying for her LTC-A without having to retake the course. She has never been that interested in firearms, but I have been doing my best to change that and have her exercise her 2nd. One of her main issuses are how to carry. She is 5'8" and about 120 and wears clothes that hug her body, so she is concerned that she would never be able to practically conceal on her person. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help, Anthony

My girlfriend took the basic pistol safety course almost one year ago from this week, and time is running out on her applying for her LTC-A without having to retake the course. She has never been that interested in firearms, but I have been doing my best to change that and have her exercise her 2nd. One of her main issuses are how to carry. She is 5'8" and about 120 and wears clothes that hug her body, so she is concerned that she would never be able to practically conceal on her person. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help, Anthony

Stress her safety at home, etc., not carrying. First, just get her a license, then work on carrying.

Matt

She is 5'8" and about 120 and wears clothes that hug her body, so she is concerned that she would never be able to practically conceal on her person. Any suggestions?? Thanks for your help, Anthony
Post pictures and we might be able to help [devil] Just kidding [smile]
How about a fanny pack?

First, just get her a license, then work on carrying.
I agree with Matt

Last edited:
small of back....there's always a gap there, no matter how tight

I have to disagree.

SoB is a lousy place to carry a gun. Easy for a bad guy to take it away from you, lousy to safely draw, and potentially dangerous if she falls backwards and injures her spine. Most gun clubs won't permit you to draw from this kind of holster.

http://corneredcat.com/

It's all about women and guns, lots of detail about hiding it on a woman's body, and tons of other info.

I have a holster I got at a gun show - I don't think they have a web site, but their email is [email protected]. It works well with shorts with pockets as it lies under the pocket and surprisingly is not "seen".

She really has to try out different ones - like a gun, unless she is comfortable she won't use it.

sometimes, you have to make sacrifices for protection.

But I second what all the others said. Get her used t home defense first, then worry about carrying later. Just make sure she doesnt carry a calibre that makes youlook like a girl [wink]

Stress her safety at home, etc., not carrying. First, just get her a license, then work on carrying.

Matt

I have brought up the fact of home defense, but she is mainly interested in ccw. We are usually home together, so I am home defense. She is more concerned with when she is out, and not with me. Like I said earlier, she has never really been interested in firearms (came from a very anti household), and as much as I am trying to change that, The sad truth is that if she is issued for any reason a non-ccw then she will probably never buy one, so that is why one of her main concerns is ways to ccw, as I am keeping her optimistic of LTC-A, fortunatley my town is a green issue town[smile]. Again, thanks for the help, Anthony

Duh [wink]

Karima%20Lara%20Croft.JPG

Anthony, point out to her that if she has her LTC, she can legally hold onto your guns for you (like if you get taken to the hospital, say).

As for carrying, she might look into a SmartCarry holster.

I have to disagree.

SoB is a lousy place to carry a gun. Easy for a bad guy to take it away from you, lousy to safely draw, and potentially dangerous if she falls backwards and injures her spine. Most gun clubs won't permit you to draw from this kind of holster.

Cross-X, we argue about this all the time:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29242
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31577 Post #5

You practice with the MOB at home with an unloaded gun. You practice at the club with a strong side holster and then you do it again at home with the MOB and find that the MOB draw is really similar. And, you discover that you automatically do not pan the gun across your body when drawing THROUGH PRACTICE and repetition.

And I didn't say anything bad about your mother this time! [smile]

Cross-X, we argue about this all the time:

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29242
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31577 Post #5

You practice with the MOB at home with an unloaded gun. You practice at the club with a strong side holster and then you do it again at home with the MOB and find that the MOB draw is really similar. And, you discover that you automatically do not pan the gun across your body when drawing THROUGH PRACTICE and repetition.

And I didn't say anything bad about your mother this time! [smile]

So how do you protect against a gun grab if you can't even see the *&#@ SoB holster?

So how do you protect against a gun grab if you can't even see the *&#@ SoB holster?

Not only that, but when you reach for the gun, your arm is in a very weak position. Consequently, you don't have much strength to defend a grab and your draw stroke can be easily jammed. You arm is in a much stronger position when dealing with a strong-side hip holster.

Hate to pile on, but I don't like MOB/SOB either. I tried it once and basically wrote it off at that point. It's
abhorrent for car carry too- its worse than seated IWB/OWB at typical locations, Not to mention uncomfortable.

Drawing wasn't too bad, but re-holstering was terrible. The effort required to conceal it and maintain concealment, is also terrible. Bending over, crouching, etc, easily blows concealment with most belt mounted MOB/SOB holsters. (unless the gun is tiny or the holster rides low IWB, which is likely to be very uncomfortable.. )

Some MOB/SOB holsters also suck if you're trying to perform various "hug frisk interception" maneuvers. It's hard to block someone from touching back there. It's a lot easier to keep someone off your strong side or orient your hands in such a way that they won't detect it.

It might work for some but not for me... MOB/SOB would be dead last on a holster carry list, if I made
one. There is something to be said for the fact that several gunleather guys don't even make MOB/SOB holsters.

-Mike

Last edited:
Pocket carry a snubbie?

Pockets in our jeans (usually) are unfortunately way too small to carry a snubbie.

However, most ladies today wear jeans with a wider leg. Excellent place for an ankle rig. In most weather, if she wears a waist length jacket/shirt, it's no problem to conceal even a full size gun.

How are you going to grab it, if you don't know I've got it? Also, if I am in condition Orange, I know you are behind me (because I've looked) and will adjust to keep you where I can see you.......

And, don't forget my BUG.

Back
Top Bottom