Few questions regarding kydex/knives, etc

I didn't know which forum to put this in since it involves a few topics.

I currently carry my spare 26 mag in my left front pocket. Its in there alone but its never in the same spot and often gets lint in it.

My first goal is to create a holster for my mag. So i checked some DIY kydex holsters. Seems really simple.

At the same time, I need to upgrade my knife. I was looking at the Ka Bar TDI or similar small fixed blade knives.

My ultimate goal is to make a pocket kydex holster to hold both my mag and knife in place.

First question. Does anybody know of any knock-off brands that make a similar knife to the small TDI. I'm sure the quality won't be the same, but if my idea doesnt work, I do not want to own an expensive knife that stays in a drawer or safe.

Also, when forming the kydex around the magazine I'd imagine I would like a cartridge to be in the mag since most of the bullet protrudes from the loaded mag. I want the mag to fit securely and cleanly. I'm worried about heating the kydex over a magazine with a round in it. Is that a Darwin of The Year Award waiting to happen?

Thank you,

Derek

Do you have a heat gun? can you provide a pic of the mag? I've worked with kydex before, I would suggest making cuts and using a heat gun to bend at the joints without the cartridge in it but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

if you are worried about heating a live round, get a snap cap or a dummy round. same shape, no boom.

No idea why I never thought of that.
042.gif

+1 on the dummy round. Although there's been many a fire with ammo present, and it didn't pop, you don't want to be the exception to the rule.
On the knife question, I'd recommend Columbia River Knife & Tool products (CRKT). Good quality blades, well built, but not as pricey as some other big names. You may want to check the laws on the allowable length of fixed blades. I think you can carry a longer blade in a folder than a fixed, but IANAL, and can't give you chapter & verse. Post some pix when you git 'er done.

I was unaware about the difference in lengths between fixed or folded knives. I'll have to look into that.

Back
Top Bottom