• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL a SKS from New Hampshire to Massachusetts questions

I have a lot of questions with regards of transferring a SKS from New Hampshire to Massachusetts. Hopefully somebody can help me with this...

The adjustable stock in pistol grip on the archangel stock. Would that be considered assault weapon in Massachusetts?

The adjustable stock in pistol grip on the archangel stock. Would that be considered assault weapon in Massachusetts?
The stock would have to be pinned and the magazine 10 rounds or less. You can't exceed the feature limit in the MA AWB for a post 1994 configuration.

I live in the great state of New Hampshire. I am trying to sell it to somebody on here from Massachusetts without breaking any laws, of course.

I live in the great state of New Hampshire. I am trying to sell it to somebody on here from Massachusetts without breaking any laws, of course.
You aren’t subject to MA laws from your arm chair, that’s the buyers responsibility, an SKS should be an easy proceed from both sides. Don’t overthink it.

You aren’t subject to MA laws from your arm chair, that’s the buyers responsibility, an SKS should be an easy proceed from both sides. Don’t overthink it.
Actually, now that he asked, there is an online thread proving what he is doing might not be legal, he could get f*cked.

Some things are better not put in writing.

Interstate transfer of a long arm requires use of an ffl in either state.
1969 is 03 cr eligible.
Apologies then, I must be confused. I can’t explain in more detail without naming shops so I’ll just let it stand at that. I was under the impression a preban or even ‘a list’ rifle could be purchased and driven home from NH/ME.

I’ll be back. I gotta go hide my dog now.

Apologies then, I must be confused. I can’t explain in more detail without naming shops so I’ll just let it stand at that. I was under the impression a preban or even ‘a list’ rifle could be purchased and driven home from NH/ME.

I’ll be back. I gotta go hide my dog now.
Yes, it can, BUT ONLY THROUGH AN FFL. The seller meets the buyer at a NH FFL and the FFL does the transfer. As long as the rifle is legal in MA, you are good to go. The buyer would need to register the gun via efa10.

This has nothing to do with assault weapons or pre or post ban. It is federal law that all transfers across state boundaries must be involve an FFL. Pistols must be transferred through an FFL in the buyer’s state of residence. Long guns can be transferred through an FFL in either state.

PRIVATE SALES ACROSS STATE LINES ARE A FEDERAL FELONY. Yes, I’m shouting, because you really don’t want to get caught breaking that law.

Yes, it can, BUT ONLY THROUGH AN FFL. The seller meets the buyer at a NH FFL and the FFL does the transfer. As long as the rifle is legal in MA, you are good to go. The buyer would need to register the gun via efa10.

This has nothing to do with assault weapons or pre or post ban. It is federal law that all transfers across state boundaries must be involve an FFL. Pistols must be transferred through an FFL in the buyer’s state of residence. Long guns can be transferred through an FFL in either state.

PRIVATE SALES ACROSS STATE LINES ARE A FEDERAL FELONY. Yes, I’m shouting, because you really don’t want to get caught breaking that law.
Thank you that makes more sense to what I was remembering (poorly) and cutting out the FFL on my part. Good refresher.

OP sorry if I muddied this up on you, hopefully you're square now.

that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid....

that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid....
Return it to its original configuration and then do the transfer through a NH FFL. Doing it through the FFL, you are essentially selling it to the FFL. So then the FFL is taking the criminal liability, not you.

Edited to add:

Doing a transfer through an FFL is effectively two transactions. 1) you are selling it to the FFL and 2) the FFL is selling it to the buyer. So if something squirrelly happens during the sale to the buyer, that’s the FFL’s problem, not yours.

You will need to call an FFL first to make sure that they are willing to do this transaction. Some don’t want to deal with MA buyers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom