• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL and private sale

NFD9

NES Member
Can an FFL make a private to private sale from their own personal gun collection?
How does this relate to C&R FFL? [thinking]
TIA
Gary

Can't answer for 01 FFLs.

For C&R FFLs, ALL C&Rs owned by said license holder MUST be logged in and out upon disposal . . . regardless if sold to private party or FFL.

Seriously am I the only one who knows ATF has a web site... www.atf.gov ...[smile]

From there I get (sorry the cut & past spaces it funny, but if you are too lazy to look it up on the ATF site I am too lazy to make it look "pretty" here):

(E8) May a licensee who has firearms
in his or her private collection
sell any of these firearms without
making firearms record entries?

A licensee may sell a firearm from
his or her personal collection, subject
only to the restrictions on firearm
sales by unlicensed persons, provided
the firearm was entered in the
licensee’s bound book and then transferred
to the licensee’s private collection
at least 1 year prior to the sale.
When the personal firearm is sold, the
sale must be recorded in a "bound
book" for dispositions of personal
firearms, but no ATF Form 4473 is
required.

Last edited:
SecurityBoy, you got some of it, butwhen they talk Bound Book, they are talking 01FFL or C&R. The questions was a personal transfer from an FFL's private collection to another private sale.

This requires an FA-10 form in Massachusetts, but it is legal.

(Hey Scriv...how'd I do on that?)[grin]

Seriously am I the only one who knows ATF has a web site... www.aft.gov ...[smile]

From there I get (sorry the cut & past spaces it funny, but if you are too lazy to look it up on the ATF site I am too lazy to make it look "pretty" here):

Somehow I just knew I would get a smart A-S answer from someone[laugh2]

Len,
So a C&R FFl will only pertain to any C&R's that you might own.
It wouldn't jam you up on any private sales of handguns not on the AG's list?
Thanks
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Gary, not sure what you mean about "jam you up on any private sales of handguns not on the AG's list"?

If you mean "does this prevent me (since I hold a C&R FFL) from selling my non-compliant guns privately", the answer is NO! (thank goodness)

MGL prevents "purveyors of firearms" (words in MGL or very close to it from memory) from transferring handguns not on the List, etc. Since C&R FFLs are NOT mentioned in MGL and PROHIBITED by Fed Law from acting as "dealers", we are in the clear to dispose of non-compliant guns privately.

I hope this answers your question. If it doesn't please reply with a clear statement of what you are asking. Thanks.

If you mean "does this prevent me (since I hold a C&R FFL) from selling my non-compliant guns privately", the answer is NO! (thank goodness)

MGL prevents "purveyors of firearms" (words in MGL or very close to it from memory) from transferring handguns not on the List, etc. Since C&R FFLs are NOT mentioned in MGL and PROHIBITED by Fed Law from acting as "dealers", we are in the clear to dispose of non-compliant guns privately.

Len,
That's exactly what I was asking.
Just wasn't able to spit it out. [smile]
Thank You
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom