FFL for a return on a warranty claim?

Sam P

NES Member
I have another defective Canik this is a MC9. Sent my TTI back two weeks ago both guns have failure to fire issues. When I sent back the TTI they just sent me a prepaid shipping label and I brought it to FedEx. I put a warranty claim in for the MC9 and now they're telling me that Massachusetts state law requires it to go thru and FFL. I have never heard of this on any gun I have shipped back to the factory. (Smith, Ruger etc.) Is this true?

I hope not, I had a S+W that went through warranty work and it shipped from a FedEx office and returned to my door.

The hitch *may* be that if they replace your receiver with a new SN it would have to go through a ffl.

They should be able to send you a prepaid label unless they already know that they plan to ship you back a different S/N

I have another defective Canik this is a MC9. Sent my TTI back two weeks ago both guns have failure to fire issues. When I sent back the TTI they just sent me a prepaid shipping label and I brought it to FedEx. I put a warranty claim in for the MC9 and now they're telling me that Massachusetts state law requires it to go thru and FFL. I have never heard of this on any gun I have shipped back to the factory. (Smith, Ruger etc.) Is this true?
Did you try cleaning the firing pin from grease and junk?

What did they fix on the first one?

Paging @CrackPot

That's pure bullshit but if they're replacing the frame it typically will need to go back through a dealer in the other direction. Maybe canik is doing that to make their servicing stuff less complicated.

It's pure bullshit like drgrant said.

One exception to a warranty repair that needs to go through a FFL is if you send in a gun and it's defective to the point where they send you back a new gun with a new serial number. That then needs to go through a FFL.

One exception to a warranty repair that needs to go through a FFL is if you send in a gun and it's defective to the point where they send you back a new gun with a new serial number. That then needs to go through a FFL.
Manufactuers are allowed to destroy a defective gun and make a new one with the same serial number and send it back to the owner.

See page 205:
(G28) How would a licensee record the disposition of a replacement firearm in the licensee’s records?A licensee who receives a firearm for repair or customizing, and who returns a replacement firearm, must record the disposition in the licensee’s acquisition and disposition record. However, no ATF Form 4473 is required if the replacement firearm is returned to the same person from whom the licensee received the firearm being replaced. The replacement firearm must be of the same kind and type.

And

Manufactuers are allowed to destroy a defective gun and make a new one with the same serial number and send it back to the owner.

See page 205:
(G28) How would a licensee record the disposition of a replacement firearm in the licensee’s records?A licensee who receives a firearm for repair or customizing, and who returns a replacement firearm, must record the disposition in the licensee’s acquisition and disposition record. However, no ATF Form 4473 is required if the replacement firearm is returned to the same person from whom the licensee received the firearm being replaced. The replacement firearm must be of the same kind and type.

And

Do you really think a manufacturer like Canik would go through the hassle of making a custom serial gun to send back?

Maybe a high end shotgun or a custom 1911/2011 builder, but not the mass produced budget Caniks

Now there telling me they made a mistake by sending me a shipping label for the first gun I sent back, and they cannot send it to me. That gun will have to come back thru an FFL even thou I mailed it. First 2 Caniks I bought are great. The next 2 are both warranty claims. I am done with Canik.

Now there telling me they made a mistake by sending me a shipping label for the first gun I sent back, and they cannot send it to me. That gun will have to come back thru an FFL even thou I mailed it. First 2 Caniks I bought are great. The next 2 are both warranty claims. I am done with Canik.
Made in Turkey and you got a couple of turkeys.... I'm not surprised. As for the labels etc. Many of these cmpanys are brow beaten by Fed Ex and UPS and frightened they will lose their ability to ship so they roll over. The sad part is that you and everyone else will likely incur FFL fees and maybe even a 4473 and a NICS check to get your own gun back.

It sounds like they are saying that they want it shipped and received via an FFL. Just because it goes through an FFL doesn't mean you need to do a background check/4473. However, many customer service reps from many manufacturers don't understand what the laws are, and confuse law with internal policies. In this case, they may also erroneously think that this is MA law...or they have set an internal policy to treat MA customers like this.

They are in the early stages of loosing their shirt on warranty claims , between the cost of shipping and the amount of guns they are likely loosing in the mail that the shippers will refuse to pay for because…. “gun”

They want to shift that burden to you and the local dealers to deal with , they’re not quality firearms and eventually the warranty claims and associated costs are going to surpass the profit they are making on the sales , easiest first step is to cut out the shipping cost and associated risks of shipping

See page 205:

And
This is cute but in reality this never happens and people get new frames... which means they need an ffl to inbound it back.

It sounds like they are saying that they want it shipped and received via an FFL. Just because it goes through an FFL doesn't mean you need to do a background check/4473. However, many customer service reps from many manufacturers don't understand what the laws are, and confuse law with internal policies. In this case, they may also erroneously think that this is MA law...or they have set an internal policy to treat MA customers like thi

They told me this is a Century Arms policy but think their policy just changed. 2 weeks ago, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send another defective Canik back. They said that was a mistake. Now they're saying the gun I mailed to them can't be mailed back to me. It has to come to me thru an FFL. I think they are in trouble with all junk they have been making lately.

I've recently sent two Mossberg 940s (a JM Pro Tactical and a Thunder Ranch version) back and forth several times to Mossberg for repair.

Each time, Mossberg had me take the guns to the FFL that did the initial transfer and they handled the shipments.

Last edited:
The hitch *may* be that if they replace your receiver with a new SN it would have to go through a ffl.
Federal law allows such replacement without use of an FFL, however you still need to eFA10 the new serial number. The replacement must be a gun of the same type sent in response to a gun that the factory chooses to replace rather than repair.

It is also pretty much unheard of for a manufacturer to let this happen, and they require an FFL transfer even though not required by law.

Ooops.... pretty much what DR Grant said.

I just did a warranty claim on a Walther I own. The company - Walther or Canik - are the FFL in such transactions. No additional FFLs are required.

glock sent me a new frame with a new sn and it didn't go through a ffl. That was a couple years ago.
Beat me to it if it’s a warranty repair it doesn’t need to go through an FFL. You may or may not want to update the web portal. I wouldn’t… there’s no requirement that you do, but I’d keep your paperwork in a different safe in case you’re safe gets stolen.

They told me this is a Century Arms policy but think their policy just changed. 2 weeks ago, they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send another defective Canik back. They said that was a mistake. Now they're saying the gun I mailed to them can't be mailed back to me. It has to come to me thru an FFL. I think they are in trouble with all junk they have been making lately.
In this case, it's likely that they are now shifting the shipping fees to the customer. Canik can make a nice gun, but their customer service, parts availability, and communication has been terrible for years. I do see this on the Century Arms/Canik website:

If your pistol must be returned to the Century Arms factory, you will be responsible to pay the freight charges to Century Arms. Before any pistol is returned to Century Arms, you must get a Return Authorization (RA) number from us. Pistols returned to Century Arms without an RA number may be denied warranty service.

When the Canik pistol is received by Century Arms it will be inspected to determine if it is a proper claim for warranty repair. Century Arms will pay the freight charges to return the repaired pistol to the owner’s FFL of choice. Century Arms is not responsible for transfer fees at the FFL.

S&W did a warranty repair for me where they replaced the frame, or more accurately, the entire revolver. They required that the new revolver be shipped to an FFL. Their paperwork for this replacement included a way to get reimbursed for FFL fees by submitting a receipt. I would expect any quality manufacturer to similarly cover FFL fees directly related to repairing their manufacturing issue.

Fedex wouldnt know what is going on between you and the manufacturer other that a gun is going back and forth. THEY are bullshitting you.....

I've shipped guns to manufacturers 2 times for repair. Never used an ffl. I'm in mass.

Back
Top Bottom