• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL vs C&R FFL

DavidC77

NES Life Member
NES Member
I was thinking of getting a FFL.

Seeing that a C&R FFL is (as it sounds, am I right?) only is good for old guns and stuff??? It sounds like you can't buy ammo, new guns and such.

If that is true how do you go about getting a regular FFL???

David

By opening a gun store. ATF used to issue FFLs to anyone who met the requirements and did a decent amount of transfers requiring FFLs, but now almost always require a complete business and storefront. Otherwise the FFL is generally out of reach.

That said, many companies will sell at wholesale to C&R. You can't get ammo as that requires a Mass ammo dealer's license, but parts and accessories can be had for wholesale prices.

By opening a gun store. ATF used to issue FFLs to anyone who met the requirements and did a decent amount of transfers requiring FFLs, but now almost always require a complete business and storefront. Otherwise the FFL is generally out of reach.

That said, many companies will sell at wholesale to C&R. You can't get ammo as that requires a Mass ammo dealer's license, but parts and accessories can be had for wholesale prices.

What he said, plus you'll need a state license for dealing. If you have the overhead to stock enough to pay the rent and make a profit, then go for it. Ask any dealer in the state, they'll tell you it's a headache with the 1998 regs. Quite a few dealers sold everything or stopped dealing handguns and large capacity firearms.

You can't really get a Type 01 anymore without having at least some
small semblance of a "profit motive". The BATFE requires that the
business exist for the purpouses of making money, and not just as a
hobby. This is the main difference between an 01 and an 03, aside
from the age of guns thing. (Not that you can't sell guns as a C+R,
but using a Type 03 as a means of creating income via profit really
isn't legal, unless you can prove that this "profit" went to ehance
your collection or something. ).

Before Bill Clinton ruined everything (during the clinton admin, is when most
of the type 01s started falling off the map) the BATF essentially didn't pay
attention or care as to wether or not you were really trying to run a "real"
business with a Type 01, as long as all your records were in order. Now
the whole thing is a crapshoot, and you have to at least create an entity/setup
that has the trappings of a real business. In MA that means a comercially
zoned pieceof property that doesnt have a dwelling immediately attached to it,
and then you have to have to be able to get a CLEO signoff for the whole
thing. If you're going to get a Type 01 in MA, itll require about the same
amount of effort as starting a new business, maybe more. The level of
BS over running a Type 01 in MA is like twice that of the BS in the majority of
other states.

-Mike

Quite a few dealers sold everything or stopped dealing handguns and large capacity firearms.

My FFL was talking to the person who came in to set up the MIRCs system. Supposedly Massachusetts is down to 203 FFLs. Does that sound about right?

My FFL was talking to the person who came in to set up the MIRCs system. Supposedly Massachusetts is down to 203 FFLs. Does that sound about right?
Yup! Red Top in Buzzards Bay sold all their guns and ammo to Eastmans in Falmouth in 1998, Eastmans in turn won't sell or transfer any handguns or large capacity firearms. Part of Adolph Reilly's 1998 strategy was to reduce the number of dealers in the state.

I thought type 03 was Class III Dealer in machine guns and destructive devices...

Or am I just tired?

Thanks All

I am kind of mulling it over, after having my 3rd back surgery my real job turning wrench is looking like I may not be able to do it anylonger.

So I was tossing a few thoughts around in my head and one of them is a local shop that supplys 911 stuff (equipment, clothing, wear gear, vehicle gear, ext.) is trying to retire and wants to sell the shop. So I was kind of tossing it around maybe seeing what kind of cash it would take (way to much I'm sure) and this is a big if, I can do it I was thinking of getting into the gun side of it also ( and of course for my self to :) ). Maybe try and get a few local PD's on board, I know a few local PD's that are going to be switching from 9's to 45's.

Ah it's proplely just a dream and will never happen, but I could see myself doing something like that and I was tossing the idea of a nice shooting range around along with the bis. also.

OH well, enough of my dreaming.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom