• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FFL03 verification

milktree

NES Member
I was in a shop today and was told they do not accept C&R licences for walk-in walk-out, because they take 3-5 days to verify the licence. (unlike an 01 or 07 that's basically instant)

Is this true?

I know of two shops that years ago refused to accept any 03 FFLs. Since both shops also had wholesale distributorships, I'm certain that it was to prevent us from undercutting their wholesale customer's business.

They have every right to make up their own rules as to what they will and won't accept. But showing a DL or firearms license along with the C&R is more than adequate to cover their butt in case something is counterfeit . . . a very rare possibility.

Since probably every C&R FFL is tied to a home address, that is why BATFE does not allow that info to go public (FFL EZ check).

I've had a C&R FFL since 1999 and I'm unaware of any way to "verify" them. The deal is that you swap FFLs with the dealer. Said dealer is making a much bigger deal of it than is necessary.

Yea, but his shop, his rules. I don't fault him for being cautious.

He told me the ATF told him to be extra careful and verify FFLs before doing a transaction. Maybe there's an actual problem with people faking FFL03s and buying 50+ year old guns and doing crimes, but... it seems like a stretch. Maybe they just wanted to put sand in the works of gun transfers.

How much trouble does an FFL get in if they accept as real a fake FFL document?

He also said something about not letting any gun go out without a background check. I'm not sure why he couldn't do a NICS check and let me use my 03 to take possession immediately, but whatever.

Since probably every C&R FFL is tied to a home address, that is why BATFE does not allow that info to go public (FFL EZ check).
Anything purchased online or in person by an 03 should be by the individual that has the FFL, and could be verified by other forms of ID. It's a lot different when the actual buyer is different than the FFL doing the transfer, it would be easy in today's modern world to alter the shipping address electronically and Email the FFL to the seller in an attempt to avoid a background check

That's an easy fix though. It's just computers. The EZ Check could return validity and name only for 03 and 06 FFLs.
True, but you are dealing with the gov't. Updating forms when it isn't in their direct interest isn't a priority. Since 1999, the C&R FFL form has requested business hours, title of applicant, etc. . . . all things irrelevant to a C&R FFL and easy to fix, but they haven't and they won't!

Yea, but his shop, his rules. I don't fault him for being cautious.

He told me the ATF told him to be extra careful and verify FFLs before doing a transaction. Maybe there's an actual problem with people faking FFL03s and buying 50+ year old guns and doing crimes, but... it seems like a stretch. Maybe they just wanted to put sand in the works of gun transfers.

How much trouble does an FFL get in if they accept as real a fake FFL document?

He also said something about not letting any gun go out without a background check. I'm not sure why he couldn't do a NICS check and let me use my 03 to take possession immediately, but whatever.
I'm sure that the problem, if real, is with 01 FFLs being forged/doctored and they have EZ check for that. The BATFE agent probably doesn't even know that 03s can't be checked like 01s.

If the dealer does an FFL to FFL transfer, he isn't supposed to do a 4473 and NICS check. So either the agent is blowing smoke or the FFL is scared and has no clue what he's supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom