FFL07 and ITAR

I read a few articles that said that there was a notice of proposed rulemaking to move title 1 firearms from the USML to the CCL and therefore gun manufacturers would no longer need to pay ITAR for making most "commercially available" guns.

Has anyone been following this or know if it went through? Looks like there was some democratic senator from NJ who tried to hold it up.

So what does this mean? Less taxes=lower costs? On what?

It doesn't mean anything because most people don't pay ITAR unless they're actually interested in exporting goods. But there are like 500,000 internet discussions about whether or not someone needs to pay ITAR.... yet 0 accounts of any non exporter having trouble for not paying it.

Oh, I thought it was one of those taxes that gets built into everything like they have on liquor.

Who pays P-R, and is that different from FAET?

The manufacturer or importer or a retail customer if the customer buys direct from the factory or importer. Edit: in the case of a retail customer buying from the factory, I think the customer pays the 11% on top of the gun's cost and the manufacturer then uses that to pay the tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who pays P-R, and is that different from FAET?

FET/PR are the same thing.

The manufacturer of the stuff typically pays it, unless its FET exempt stuff, in which case it goes through "special channels" where FET is not
applied (with proper documentation, blah blah). Basically LE/Gov, at an "official use" level, is FET exempt. That stuff is tightly controlled though and never
ends up on the general market. (or at least, it's not supposed to. )

FET/PR are the same thing.

The manufacturer of the stuff typically pays it, unless its FET exempt stuff, in which case it goes through "special channels" where FET is not
applied (with proper documentation, blah blah). Basically LE/Gov, at an "official use" level, is FET exempt. That stuff is tightly controlled though and never
ends up on the general market. (or at least, it's not supposed to. )
Thank you! This is super helpful

Do these ATF taxes go into some fund that goes to good use, or into a general fund?

Pittman Robertson funds are supposedly spent on conservation programs, wildlife management, crap like that. The ATF doesn't really see the money, although I would not be shocked
if they kicked someones ass for not collecting it.

Pittman Robertson funds are supposedly spent on conservation programs, wildlife management, crap like that.
After the War, the New York State Conservationist
(house organ for the NYS Conservation Department)
would run turgid articles every year, rubbing their hands together
over the Department's plans for the next wheelbarrow of Federal Cash
from Pittman-Robertson and Dingell–Johnson
(a.k.a. "P-R" and "D-J", respectively).

Members of the Greatest Generation would have to
page past that stuff to get to the issue's centerfold.

Back
Top Bottom