• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Field gauge for .30/'06 ?

Mike 53

NES Member
Bought a Winchester Model 1917 the other day. I stripped the bolt and used my 'go' and 'no-go'
gauges on it. Very nice rifle, but closes on the no-go.
I'm wondering if anyone here has a field reject gauge I could use on this 1917?
Thanks, Mike

You generally have to headspace a 1917 differently than say an 03. As I recall the process, you have to put very little pressure on the bolt because the strong camming action will give you a false no-go reading.

I have an extra bolt body or two here if you need one, but its probably ok.

You generally have to headspace a 1917 differently than say an 03. As I recall the process, you have to put very little pressure on the bolt because the strong camming action will give you a false no-go reading.

I have an extra bolt body or two here if you need one, but its probably ok.

Hatcher's Notebook

To check headspace on an M1917, the firing mechanism must be removed, and then the extractor. The bolt is then pushed forward with fingertip pressure only.

0. To remove firing mechanism:

a. Get a US nickel. A dime is too small, a quarter is too big.

b. Unlatch bolt and pull part way back.

c. Put safety in SAFE position (back).

d. Push bolt forward . You will feel resistance, and then the spring collapsing. Continue to push forward until you see a "gap" open up at the back of the bolt.

e. Place the nickel in the gap. Release the pressure on the bolt handle. The bolt will go back until the nickel is held fast.

f. Remove the bolt from the rifle. Unscrew the firing mechanism at the back of the bolt, and remove it. Be careful not to pull out the nickel.

g. Take the extractor off the bolt.

h. You are now ready to check headspace.

i. After checking headspace, reverse these steps to put the bolt back together.

1. The bolt body should be pushed forward first with the chamber empty, so that you can see what the bolt handle looks like in the fully closed position.

2. Next, insert the GO gauge, push the bolt forward with fingertip pressure. The bolt should fully close.

3. Next, insert the NO-GO gauge, repeat closing the bolt with fingertip pressure. The bolt should not close completely. You should see a difference where the bolt handle stops.

4. If the bolt handle closes completely on the No-Go gauge WITH FINGERTIP PRESSURE, insert the Field gauge, and close the bolt with fingertip pressure. Again look at the position of the bolt handle. It should not be fully closed.

5. If the bolt fails the Field gauge, the rifle, per Hatcher, is probably safe to fire. However, for complete safety, try other bolts until you find one that works.

Springfield Sporter has M1917 bolt bodies for $20 (http://www.ssporters.com/parts/1917and P14enfield.htm).

It is incredibly simple to check headspace on an M1917, once you have done it the first time. Amaze your friends, confuse your enemies.

Thanks everyone. I have both a Clymer from Brownells and a Forster from Midway on order. And a fellow on another forum has offered a blued Winchester bolt
he has as a spare. BTW, when I stripped the bolt to use the gauges, I didn't think to pull off the extractor. Might try the no go again while I wait to receive the field
gauges. It's a really nice rifle. Im thinking never fired with that Eddystone bolt in there. It was so full of Cosmo when I unscrewed the firing pin assembly, you couldn't tell there was a spring on there!

Thanks everyone. I have both a Clymer from Brownells and a Forster from Midway on order. And a fellow on another forum has offered a blued Winchester bolt
he has as a spare. BTW, when I stripped the bolt to use the gauges, I didn't think to pull off the extractor. Might try the no go again while I wait to receive the field
gauges. It's a really nice rifle. Im thinking never fired with that Eddystone bolt in there. It was so full of Cosmo when I unscrewed the firing pin assembly, you couldn't tell there was a spring on there!
just remember your not trying to crank the bolt closed. No tension (stripped bolt) slide it in until it contacts then just ever so slight finger tip pressure until you feel resistance

Min 13 shows bolt disasembly and from there headspace check

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6C9znS4GA

I have a field gauge, experience with 1917’s (including barrel swaps), and work on the north shore. PM me if you want to meet up during lunch some day.

I have a field gauge, experience with 1917’s (including barrel swaps), and work on the north shore. PM me if you want to meet up during lunch some day.
Thanks for your kind offer. I may take you up on this. Now waiting on receipt of field gauges I ordered the other day. Supposed to be here next Tuesday...

6D629113-20B5-409F-9413-75E94C969FA4.jpeg 6D629113-20B5-409F-9413-75E94C969FA4.jpeg 6D629113-20B5-409F-9413-75E94C969FA4.jpeg CCC62657-23D4-4087-8A51-CEDD72251DBC.jpeg Mac today I went back to check again this time with the extractor off the bolt and the rifle facing to the right so I could see what I was doing.
When I used the gauges yesterday, I did so with the safety on. As those familiar with the rifle know, with the safety on there’s a pin that immobilizes the bolt. Well I gently “closed” the bolt on that pin with each gauge in place (and I thought I closed the bolt.)
Today I started with closing the bolt with no gauge to see how it looked. Then used the go and then the no go. I see what I missed yesterday. It doesn’t come close to closing on the no go...

Attachments

• 1015FBC1-97F4-4320-9632-95A35CECF1A8.jpeg
    1015FBC1-97F4-4320-9632-95A35CECF1A8.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 3AC64B6E-4F94-4BD5-AF0F-68208C45C316.jpeg
    3AC64B6E-4F94-4BD5-AF0F-68208C45C316.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 58B3C313-D7A5-4FF9-9907-0B7A0E88C04C.jpeg
    58B3C313-D7A5-4FF9-9907-0B7A0E88C04C.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 5
View attachment 300916 View attachment 300916 View attachment 300916 View attachment 300917 Mac today I went back to check again this time with the extractor off the bolt and the rifle facing to the right so I could see what I was doing.
When I used the gauges yesterday, I did so with the safety on. As those familiar with the rifle know, with the safety on there’s a pin that immobilizes the bolt. Well I gently “closed” the bolt on that pin with each gauge in place (and I thought I closed the bolt.)
Today I started with closing the bolt with no gauge to see how it looked. Then used the go and then the no go. I see what I missed yesterday. It doesn’t come close to closing on the no go...
Nice

Back
Top Bottom