Fighter planes over Metrowest

I’ve been hearing them in Framingham . Haven’t seen one yet as I was in the car. Was going ask the people here if they knew what was going on

The timing over my house matched right up with the 1PM game start time.

I do have a problem with this. Thousands in taxpayer dollars are being spent to augment an entertainment performance being put on not for the public good, but to make money for those selling the entertainment. Why should I pay to subsidize this activity?

I do have a problem with this. Thousands in taxpayer dollars are being spent to augment an entertainment performance being put on not for the public good, but to make money for those selling the entertainment. Why should I pay to subsidize this activity?
Think they also use it as a "time over target" drill. Be at point X at such-and-such a time. May be just a weak excuse to do what you said, but thats what I had read somewhere.

I always thought they were training flights with a flyover at a specific time.

Right over my house, noisy as heck. F18s or F22? I’m use to this on sundays. Any estimate on what this event costs? Where is the nearest air station?

How flyovers hit their exact marks at games

"The request:
As Berentson explains, a team or league that wants a military flyover must fill out a government form called DD2535, which is a “request for military aerial support” for a specific date. Once submitted, the request must be approved by the Federal Aviation Administration -- essentially saying it’s safe to conduct a flyover at the time and site -- before it goes to the headquarters of the branch of service that has been requested for the flyover. If the request is deemed eligible, the team or league must then find a squadron willing to do a flyover.

This is important because typically flyovers are considered part of a unit’s training requirement. Pilots need so many hours in the air to stay current in their qualifications, says Berentson, so flyovers are incorporated.

“It becomes another training mission, essentially,” says Berentson.

For that reason, the cost of flyovers is part of the military budget -- not paid for by a sports team or league -- unless special circumstances dictate that the team must pay for the cost of fuel (in an area of scarcity, for instance).

As far as the military is concerned, it’s a win-win: good training time (that pilots would have needed anyway) and good PR. For fans, there’s something special about seeing a jet, bomber or formation of helicopters directly overhead."

Right over my house, noisy as heck. F18s or F22? I’m use to this on sundays. Any estimate on what this event costs? Where is the nearest air station?

How flyovers hit their exact marks at games

"For Super Bowl XLV in 2011, four Navy F-18s that had taken off in Virginia streaked over Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Because the weather was bad, the stadium roof was closed, so the flyover was visible only to TV viewers and those at the game who watched it on the giant video board. It prompted some to question the cost of the flyover to taxpayers, with one reporter in Dallas suggesting it cost $450,000.

In response, a Navy spokesman told one publication: “These missions are included in the annual operating budget of all branches of the military, and they are used as training.”"

F-15s are from Western MA. BTW, those griping about the fly over, it's not a joy ride. It's legit training...they would be flying regardless, but adding a fly over into the mix is good PR. As we in the Air Wing used to say, that "noise" is the sound of freedom.

My house in northbridge shook. Went right over at maybe 300’. By the time I got outside to look could not see well. Looked like a tomcat.

Think they also use it as a "time over target" drill. Be at point X at such-and-such a time. May be just a weak excuse to do what you said, but thats what I had read somewhere.

Aside from the TOT practice, it is one hell of an effective advertising opportunity. The DOD spends millions on recruitment and advertising and I would be hard pressed to think of a more memorable recruitment tool. Sure, a good tv commercial might stick in my mind, but a chest rattling sonic boom is etched in your memory for a while.

I do have a problem with this.

Me too, but not because of the training value to the aviators; as others have said, they’d be flying anyway. I just feel weird turning money-making sporting events into celebrations of patriotism. It’s propaganda.

But it’s nothing new. I saw a B2 do a low-level flyover once when I stayed out all night before the Rose Parade, around 1993 or so. It was awe-inspiring. So I guess if they’re going to fly, might as well get some PR value out of it.

Some of you guys need to lighten up. It’s covered in annual budgets, it’s a great training day for the pilots, it’s great for all of us who get to watch and hear them fly over our houses, truly awe inspiring and nothing screams America like a couple or 4 fighters shaking your house and screaming across the sky. I f***ing love it. Stop being a bunch of old f***ing hens once in a while and enjoy yourself FFS.

Last edited:
Its paid for by dhs anti terror precaution. In case some snackbar decides to fly in a cessna to cause an issue. They also run drills and practice air to air, air to ground intercepting stuff. Some may or may not have chem / bio / nuc detection pods attached.

The guys in those planes are gonna burn gas to meet ongoing qual requirements. They have to keep up minimuns. Would you prefer they just take flights to nowhere? My friend who drives C5-Ms does several a year just to keep up on the regs. The only way savings would be realized is if the requirements were reduced. The other option is reducing the number of aircraft and pilots active.... and the jingoservatives and safe and warmy democraps are never going to allow that to happen.....

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom