• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

finally done with one refinish project and almost done with another

mac1911

NES Member
yeah you expected something with guns..... the ways things are going I wont touch my guns to the morning of the first match.

Youngest daughter wanted a pink helmet. Not a pink helmet to be found in her size. Promised last year to paint it. She picked out the color. Of course it was the most expensive spray paint I have ever seen! I will say it sprayed nice and coverage was great.
Im not very good at masking off and had some loose edges but she likes it. Now to keep it hidden for 10 days so it will cure

you guys think finishing a stock can be a pain...
Try painting old cabinets with high gloss paint with a brush...
Installing some repurposed cabinets in the basement and will be all painted glossy white.
PzbVEotm.jpg

Last edited:
Plutonium brand was $15

You were talking about painting the re-purposed cabinets..... That's what I put in my reloading room. Old cabinets from a bathroom we are remodeling. If I could humbly suggest a primer, use Zinzerbin. Its a little on the pricey side as far as primers go, but its so dang good that I use it on EVERYTHING that I want to paint. You can get it at lowes. Its really water(y) so it goes a really long way, but it cuts the actual painting chore in half and produces superior results.

Only downside is that it trashes brushes, you won't be able to clean them up and re-use them.

You were talking about painting the re-purposed cabinets..... That's what I put in my reloading room. Old cabinets from a bathroom we are remodeling. If I could humbly suggest a primer, use Zinzerbin. Its a little on the pricey side as far as primers go, but its so dang good that I use it on EVERYTHING that I want to paint. You can get it at lowes. Its really water(y) so it goes a really long way, but it cuts the actual painting chore in half and produces superior results.

Only downside is that it trashes brushes, you won't be able to clean them up and re-use them.
For the cabs I used the zinser bulls eye 123 primer.
BIN is shellac based and is good stuff, it dries almost to fast and requires frequent brush cleaning to avoid ruining brushes.
Use vinegar and water to clean up shellac brushes.
Using shellac based primer will go a long way to getting a nice finish as it fills pores and scratches. It’s even better if you could spray on shellac.
I just don’t have time or space to set up to do a good spray job.

High gloss paint is a problem in itself trying to brush it on.
I will sand and re coat the cabinet flats over time.
Plus it’s a basement back entry mud room. I would have been fine leaving them plain wood but wife said paint’em

View: https://imgur.com/a/uP2yytw

Back
Top Bottom