• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally getting non resident CT Pistol Permit

MassHunter32

NES Member
I'm trying to ensure I fill out this all correctly so I don't get it back. Few questions that I haven't been able to find a string on here. On the application it asks:

Have you ever been ARRESTED for any crime, in any jurisdiction, if Yes indicating charges, locations, dates of arrest and dispositions.
Not proud of it but had an OUI way back in 93 in Mass. I'll list it but what does disposition mean? I assume guilty, not guilty, continued without finding etc..?

Have you ever been CONVICTED under the laws of this state, federal law or the laws of another jurisdiction?
So, if I was guilty in the first question (ie, arrested and then disposition guilty), then do I list the same thing here?

Second questions on the small little white card:
assume the Reason for permit is All Lawful Purpose. Local Permit Form: I assume that is my Town in Mass and my LTC number.

Thank you all for the time. I'm not sure if i'm overthinking this and being a PITA or this process is, but would rather not take the time and get it wrong.

I am curious as well because I'm starting this process soon. Did you check CT laws forum? Your first two conclusions are correct: disposition = result of arrest and guilty would be the only outcome that = convicted, but IANAL.
The second question on the white card has me confused as well. Not sure what that means unless is re-worded "form of local permit" would be non-resident.
Doesn't hurt to double check this stuff. Should be able to call CT state police as well to clarify what they are asking. Good luck.

assume the Reason for permit is All Lawful Purpose. Local Permit Form: I assume that is my Town in Mass and my LTC number.

Thank you all for the time. I'm not sure if i'm overthinking this and being a PITA or this process is, but would rather not take the time and get it wrong.

I can’t help you with the others But for the reason I put ”All Lawful Purposes” I applied in person and the person reviewing it read it and said “perfect”

The Connecticut permit was by far the longest to process. IIRC they said three months and that’s what it took.

If you have a question call them and ask. Thye are pleasant and helpful.

Bob

I'm trying to ensure I fill out this all correctly so I don't get it back. Few questions that I haven't been able to find a string on here. On the application it asks:

Have you ever been ARRESTED for any crime, in any jurisdiction, if Yes indicating charges, locations, dates of arrest and dispositions.
Not proud of it but had an OUI way back in 93 in Mass. I'll list it but what does disposition mean? I assume guilty, not guilty, continued without finding etc..?

Have you ever been CONVICTED under the laws of this state, federal law or the laws of another jurisdiction?
So, if I was guilty in the first question (ie, arrested and then disposition guilty), then do I list the same thing here?

In PA we use "self defense" for the reason, isn't this why you want the permit?

I can’t help you with the others But for the reason I put ”All Lawful Purposes” I applied in person and the person reviewing it read it and said “perfect”

The Connecticut permit was by far the longest to process. IIRC they said three months and that’s what it took.

If you have a question call them and ask. Thye are pleasant and helpful.

Bob

Thank you. Just wondering. I thought it said you couldn't apply in person. Where did you go for that? That would be much easier and worth the drive.

Thank you. Just wondering. I thought it said you couldn't apply in person. Where did you go for that? That would be much easier and worth the drive.

I went to the Middletown location. They did the fingerprints there electronically. If you have your application all set and notarized it will go quick. There are two other location.

Special Licensing and Firearms

I’m renewing in MA and they wanted to know my reason.

I wrote, “Because my license is expiring.”

I always use all lawful purposes.

Bob

CT has a procedure in which one gets a local permit first, then applies to the state police for one good statewide. The procedure now allows non-residents to apply directly for the state permit without getting a local one first. My guess is the "form of local permit" answer would be n/a.

thought I would give and update to anyone tracking this. Guess I'm not used to having helpful folks (other than this site) when it comes to firearm questions. I called the number back and asked the questions. As I've seen others say, they were extremely nice and helpful about the questions. Guess I didn't need to try to avoid calling the number like I was.

They confirmed the information about arrested / disposition and convicted. In my case, I get to write it on both lines.

She just said. Yes that is good, when I said, I was going to write All Lawful Purposes.

The "local permit from", should be my town in Mass and the issued date.

I did ask about heading in and I'll just say, she commented that it would be better to mail it. I didn't push it. So I didn't get a NO you can't. I'm just going to head to my local PD and get my fingerprints on the little card (hope they will do it) and mail it off.

Just wondering. I'm not saying the local PD is being difficult. I'll say that the voicemail I left hasn't been returned for 5 days and when I stopped in I was told there are no officers available at this time, please come back. Can I schedule an appointment ... answer - no.
I guess I'll ask you all. Where can someone go (i'll gladly pay a fee) to get this ink based fingerprinting card for CT filled out?

Just wondering. I'm not saying the local PD is being difficult. I'll say that the voicemail I left hasn't been returned for 5 days and when I stopped in I was told there are no officers available at this time, please come back. Can I schedule an appointment ... answer - no.
I guess I'll ask you all. Where can someone go (i'll gladly pay a fee) to get this ink based fingerprinting card for CT filled out?
Did you tell them it was for a gun license when calling? Don't - there are many "socially acceptable" reasons to need a tenprint card - nursing/medical licensing and immigration come to mine.

Oh yea, I'll admit to the. Left a very nice VM that explained why I needed it. HA, that is one of the reasons I stopped waiting for a call back and just went in. Thanks. I guess that is great advice for everyone else...LOL. Wish I had thought of it.

Last update from me. Hope it helps the next person. I think I was missing the point from Horizontal Hunter, wasn't intentional, guess I just had never had to get my finger prints on a card. My local PD did try. They ended up being great about it, but had a difficult time trying to get it on the card supplied. So I did exactly what Horizontal Hunter said. I went to the Middletown office. They charged me $15 dollars and I was done in 3 minutes. Fingerprinting is just a service they offer. I then dropped off the packet (all other information completed before I got there). That is the piece you can not do in person. IE you can't show up and have them do all the other things you have to do for the CT non resident. Now I get to see how long it takes.

Did you tell them it was for a gun license when calling? Don't - there are many "socially acceptable" reasons to need a tenprint card - nursing/medical licensing and immigration come to mine.

Good advice for sure. My PD will do the fingerprint cards for any other reason but not for non-resident permits.

Bob

CT has a procedure in which one gets a local permit first, then applies to the state police for one good statewide. The procedure now allows non-residents to apply directly for the state permit without getting a local one first. My guess is the "form of local permit" answer would be n/a.
CT non resident process has always been state only. But they use the same form for both.

When someone says "middletown" they are referring to the DESPP's headquarters where you typically go to pick up your state license and get the first picture taken.

The CT equivalent of a CWF is a Nolle. If you stay clean for 18 months, charges are dismissed.

Per CT law, if charges are dismissed, you can answer "no" to both arrest and conviction questions. (google "legal fiction")

If the arrest resulted in a nolle, dismissal, or not guilty vertice, I tell my CT students to not include it and answer "no".
I'd probably tell a MA person to include it.

CT has a law that requires destruction of ALL records relating to an arrest and/or prosecution of someone if charges are dismissed or found not guilty (except for reason of insanity).

Included in this law is the following language:

(3) Any person who shall have been the subject of such an erasure shall be deemed to have never been arrested within the meaning of the general statutes with respect to the proceedings so erased and may so swear under oath.

MA has no such thing, so an old arrest will probably pop up

I submitted my packed, and it arrived in CT State Police Feb 8. Haven’t heard a word yet. Although there is a pandemic going on but no idea if they’re still processing

I applied on August 12th, that’s the date they officially received my application. Per fed ex tracking. This is my initial application and not a renewal.

I am in Texas and applied for the Non-Resident license. When I called to have the application package sent to me, the lady told me would take 4-5 months, closer to 5 months for me to receive my permit once they have recieved the application back.

On September 15th Texas notifies (As required by law) that Connecticut requested information on my Texas License to Carry, and what information they provided to Connecticut. Texas law requires them (DPS) to notify us anytime anyone authorized requests information and what information was provided.

That’s only 30 days after my application was received, the cashiers checks for all the fees, were cashed on September 9th.

So I am wondering if my application really will take 4-5 months to get. But I doubt I will get it before the end of the year. It is interesting that they don’t just process it All aT once like some states.

I am also waiting on my Utah, Illinois, Florida, and Arizona.

I applied on August 12th, that’s the date they officially received my application. Per fed ex tracking. This is my initial application and not a renewal.

I am in Texas and applied for the Non-Resident license. When I called to have the application package sent to me, the lady told me would take 4-5 months, closer to 5 months for me to receive my permit once they have recieved the application back.

On September 15th Texas notifies (As required by law) that Connecticut requested information on my Texas License to Carry, and what information they provided to Connecticut. Texas law requires them (DPS) to notify us anytime anyone authorized requests information and what information was provided.

That’s only 30 days after my application was received, the cashiers checks for all the fees, were cashed on September 9th.

So I am wondering if my application really will take 4-5 months to get. But I doubt I will get it before the end of the year. It is interesting that they don’t just process it All aT once like some states.

I am also waiting on my Utah, Illinois, Florida, and Arizona.

My AZ non resident permit took me maybe three weeks from when I mailed it, and that was with them mailing the application back to me because I left out some info, and me having to mail it back.

My AZ non resident permit took me maybe three weeks from when I mailed it, and that was with them mailing the application back to me because I left out some info, and me having to mail it back.

Hopefully they are still doing that with covid going on. AZ received my application on October 1st. As well as Florida.. so we will see.

The CT equivalent of a CWF is a Nolle. If you stay clean for 18 months, charges are dismissed.

Per CT law, if charges are dismissed, you can answer "no" to both arrest and conviction questions. (google "legal fiction")

If the arrest resulted in a nolle, dismissal, or not guilty vertice, I tell my CT students to not include it and answer "no".

CT has a law that requires destruction of ALL records relating to an arrest and/or prosecution of someone if charges are dismissed or found not guilty (except for reason of insanity).

(3) Any person who shall have been the subject of such an erasure shall be deemed to have never been arrested within the meaning of the general statutes with respect to the proceedings so erased and may so swear under oath.

Everything above regarding CT is correct. The problem I run into with some permit applications is the question "Has your application for permit here or in another state been denied, or has your permit here or in any other state been revoked?"; (wording not exact).

I had an arrest and the charges were nolled. I can legally state that I've never been arrested, (yup, legal fiction). However, my permit was revoked, and once I answer affirmatively to that question, and explain - it appears that I'm lying regarding the "arrest" question.

I'm very careful filling out forms like this - so far no problems. I have my GA permit and multiple non-resident permits from other states including CT.

It won't really appear that you are lying. CT DESPP and local PDs are well aware of the requirement to scrub arrest and prosecution data.

But they will latch onto the revocation.

You raise a really great point. For most people who are arrested WHILE they have a CT PP, the revocation comes before the dismissal, nolle, or acquittal. So even if the problem "never happened", from that point forward you have to disclose the revocation. I had never thought of that. Its an excellent point.

It won't really appear that you are lying. CT DESPP and local PDs are well aware of the requirement to scrub arrest and prosecution data.

You raise a really great point. For most people who are arrested WHILE they have a CT PP, the revocation comes before the dismissal, nolle, or acquittal. So even if the problem "never happened", from that point forward you have to disclose the revocation. I had never thought of that. Its an excellent point.

My permit was revoked before I was even arrested. Motorcycle accident and I was in the hospital for a while. Came home and the revocation letter was there. Two weeks later, (or thereabouts), local PD called me and told me they had a warrant for my arrest.

Charges nolled, (I hired a very good attorney). Firearms board refused to re-issue my permit. I appealed with the same attorney. Denied.

Waited a while, a long while - then applied for a new permit locally. Issued. Converted to state permit. That was long enough ago that I've renewed it since.

The process was educational, painful and expensive - I don't recommend it.

You also have to contend with the fact that if you apply for a non-resident LTC in another state, such as RI, MD, NY,NYC, etc where they routinely deny most people. Then you have to explain yourself for those too.

Just received my CT non-resident LTC/CHL on March 6th, 2021.

The date in on the LTC says it was issued on 2-18-2021.

They received my application pack back on August 13th. According to Fed Ex Tracking.

Thus it took... 189 days to approve... and another 16 days to receive in the mail in Texas. Or 205 days total.

I don't think it is correct to equate a CT not pros with a MA CWOF. In MA, a CWOF is not available with the defendant's "admission of facts sufficient, which is tantamount to a guilty plea.

Back
Top Bottom