• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Finally got a chance to go shooting today!

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
I have a good friend in the National Guard here in New Mexico, and he knocked on my door this morning and
asked me if I wanted to go shooting with him. Though he is in the Guard, he is currently assigned on active duty
by the State, and is an "analyst" with the Albuquerque Police Dept. and the State Police.

The stupid bitch we have for Governor here (Michel Lujan-Grissom) has of course closed all the gun shops and ranges in the state, so I asked him where
we could go to shoot. He told me he knew a good spot, but we would have to travel for an hour to get there.

So we drove south on Interstate 25 for about an hour, then headed west towards the mountains on an old gravel road onto
BLM land (which is also supposed to be off limits according to the COVID-19 lockdown. bullshit.)

We turned on another road, which soon became a wide, dry riverbed/arroyo heading west and after a few miles we were in a
deep canyon about a half mile wide with sheer walls on either side that were as tall as a 3 or 4 story building. And there were cars
and trucks everywhere! We parked and headed to the sweet sound of gunfire, and it sounded like the range back when I
was in Basic Training back in the 60's![smile]

After weeks cooped up in my apartment, it was refreshing to see a bunch of people set up and shooting, and it reminded me
of the Monadnock shoots back when I was living in New England! You could smell the Freedom in the air! And it was a really
cool bunch of people. Nobody was wearing masks, and nobody gave a shit!

After a little while, I mentioned to my friend that this was surprising, and was wondering how long it would be before somebody
with "Authority" would show up try and shut it all down. He just laughed, and then everybody started laughing.

It seems that most of then were LEO's, and I even met the local Open Space Ranger that was in charge of patrolling that
particular area of BLM land!

I have to admit, I only had a few dozen rounds for my Garand, so I didn't shoot much...…..but I had a lot of cold beers and laughs
with a lot of fine people. I am only up this late because we didn't get back to Albuquerque until about midnight. I haven't had this much
fun in a long time...….not since I used to meet you guy's at shoots in New England![smile]

And all I can think of is how the democrats in Santa Fe would have a fit if they really knew how much socializing we did today!

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Awesome! Glad there is still some freedom to be found out west. Glad you had a good time, Skysoldier.

Awesome 👍 to hear Kim , I guess there's still some places where merica can be found. God Bless You Sky.

I've been shooting but the drive went to 30 minutes and no full auto. Tomorrow it goes back to 15 minutes and full auto again.

Glad you got out to go shoot, Kim.

I'm lucky that my local range is on the other side of the driveway and open whenever the weather is good. :)

Back
Top Bottom