Finally joined the Ak family

Yay! Every time a shooter enters the AK family, an angel gets his wings!

Enjoy it. I'd nuke the thumbhole, but then I'm sort of a traditionalist. Oh, and go ahead and buy the sight tool: this is not the last AK you'll end up with.

Grats, my mak90 is probably my fav gun to shoot. First thing I did was order some wood from Kalashnicarver

The Mac 90 is an excellent firearm. One of the finest AKs imported into the United states. Should last you a long time. The thumb hole stock sucks to shoot with. You can install a regular AK stock no problem but it will require a bit of fitting because the receiver is 1.5 mm thick versus The Standard akm 1 mm sheet metal.

Fun fact is that the United States/western powers sponsored various fighters in Afghanistan, supplying lots of Chinese AKs in the '80s. Many of them have been shot exclusively full auto, completely neglected yet are still carried and being used today. Probably smooth bore by now but they still run.

Enjoy it. I'd nuke the thumbhole, but then I'm sort of a traditionalist. Oh, and go ahead and buy the sight tool: this is not the last AK you'll end up with.
100%. Get the Magna matic sight tool. Every single one of the four or five cheap AK site adjustment tools I've used from Amazon have broken almost immediately.

I used one of these kits to add a comp to mine. super easy. check boobtube for videos.

+1 on the cnc warrior thread kits. Used one on mine as well, just had to take a file to the fsb as the detent hole was welded closed and sitting high. Caused the brake to sit crooked and would have had a bullet strike if I didn't file it down.

The thumb hole stock sucks to shoot with. You can install a regular AK stock no problem but it will require a bit of fitting because the receiver is 1.5 mm thick versus The Standard akm 1 mm sheet metal.

I disagree 1000%! In my opinion and experience, the thumbhole stock is much more comfortable shooting with than the regular pistol grip. I would not be in a big hurry to change it if you like how it shoots @El_Guapo77

I disagree 1000%! In my opinion and experience, the thumbhole stock is much more comfortable shooting with than the regular pistol grip. I would not be in a big hurry to change it if you like how it shoots @El_Guapo77
My SA93 came with a thumbhole stock. I got rid of it because I just can‘t stand an AK without traditional furniture, but honestly? It shouldered more comfortably with the thumbhole on.

I assume not all thumbhole stocks are created equal, especially the LOP.

I had the thumb hole stocks on both my mak90s. The plastic furniture is simple to make fit. I bought the Cold War red set off Atlantic firearms and took some fitting but I like the traditional feel much better then the clunky thumb hole stocks. Also I have shot many AKs and I have to say the Chinese did good on this one.

Attachments

• 8C42188D-6071-4E91-9DFB-FE5B21985242.jpeg
    8C42188D-6071-4E91-9DFB-FE5B21985242.jpeg
    884.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 3122CACD-B6A7-4577-85CD-1938C4B6B868.jpeg
    3122CACD-B6A7-4577-85CD-1938C4B6B868.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 26
I had the thumb hole stocks on both my mak90s. The plastic furniture is simple to make fit. I bought the Cold War red set off Atlantic firearms and took some fitting but I like the traditional feel much better then the clunky thumb hole stocks. Also I have shot many AKs and I have to say the Chinese did good on this one.
That wood looks sharp!

That looks phenomenal on your MAK!!!
Really? Hm perhaps because of the rubber butt pad but the ergonomics of the thumbhole for practical shooting do not work for me. I'm more worried about killing muzzle rise than recoil on aks.

Really? Hm perhaps because of the rubber butt pad but the ergonomics of the thumbhole for practical shooting do not work for me. I'm more worried about killing muzzle rise than recoil on aks.

Nope, its the grip that I prefer. I think the regular pistol grip is too skinny. There is no appreciable recoil on an AK. If someone thinks there is, then they need to shoot more big boy bolt guns to experience actual recoil.

Nope, its the grip that I prefer. I think the regular pistol grip is too skinny. There is no appreciable recoil on an AK. If someone thinks there is, then they need to shoot more big boy bolt guns to experience actual recoil.

Polish bakelite and black polymer (early Beryl) pistol grips look exactly like standard AK pistol grips but are fatter. There are also dozens of aftermarket AK pistol grips these days. All of these options look better than a thumbhole stock. If it works for you then by all means rock on.

That looks phenomenal on your MAK!!!

Agreed. The thumbhole stock on the maks are small and cumbersome. The thumbhole stocks on my veprs are fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom