• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fingerprinting for MA LTC?

Hey all. I went to the local PD today to get a LTC application. The officer mentioned that after I submitted the paperwork they would call me in to "process it and fingerprint me, etc...". I was wondering, do you always get fingerprinted when obtaining an LTC? Im not concerned about it, Im just curious since this is the first time Im hearing of it.

You have a tenprint set taken upon initial application and a single finger upon renewal. Non-residents get a tenprint set taken each time.

Hey all. I went to the local PD today to get a LTC application. The officer mentioned that after I submitted the paperwork they would call me in to "process it and fingerprint me, etc...". I was wondering, do you always get fingerprinted when obtaining an LTC?

Yes.

Unless the machine isn't working (like when I got mine) and in that case you get assigned a PIN that you have to remember for every gun purchase

Unless the machine isn't working (like when I got mine) and in that case you get assigned a PIN that you have to remember for every gun purchase
You get issued a PIN regardless, and if the shop doesnt have a reader, you still need the PIN for a purchase. Hopefully you didnt throw it away!!!

You get issued a PIN regardless, and if the shop doesnt have a reader, you still need the PIN for a purchase. Hopefully you didnt throw it away!!!

I think he might be talking about the electronic fingerprint that gets used for the MA paperwork whenever you buy a gun. If you don't get that print into the system I don't think they can convert your ink prints into the digital system so every time you buy a gun, you'd need your pin instead of a print. I know a couple of people who've had this issue but I don't know how avoidable it is.

To the OP, yes we all get them when applying. Expect to do it again if you apply for many non resident permits too. My prints are floating around all over the damn place.

I think he might be talking about the electronic fingerprint that gets used for the MA paperwork whenever you buy a gun. If you don't get that print into the system I don't think they can convert your ink prints into the digital system so every time you buy a gun, you'd need your pin instead of a print. I know a couple of people who've had this issue but I don't know how avoidable it is.

To the OP, yes we all get them when applying. Expect to do it again if you apply for many non resident permits too. My prints are floating around all over the damn place.

Yes, this is correct.

I would ask for a pin when picking up your license. The officer did not provide me with a one and I had to go back to get it, I think he forgot so not a big deal. If the print readers are down at the gun shop then you'll need a pin.

Yep fingerprints for res and non-res permits. The fingerprinting machine can be tricky too. I remember being told that sometimes the prints won't be clear enough and that they would need to be redone, but they wouldn't find out if that was the case for 4-6 weeks. Not sure how much truth there is in that.

Anyone know why they put your print on the res permits but not the non-res permits?

Fingerprints are sent to FBI database/clearing house in Viriginia - its the only way to confirm you are who you say you are. Any decent police department compares prints from arrestees against local and federal databases to confirm ID. I assume it is the same with LTC applicants.

"And, friend, somewhere in Washington, enshrined in some little folder, is a study in black and white of my fingerprints..."

You also need your PIN if you buy a rifle out of state and then fill in your FA-10 form online.

Fingerprints are sent to FBI database/clearing house in Viriginia - its the only way to confirm you are who you say you are. Any decent police department compares prints from arrestees against local and federal databases to confirm ID. I assume it is the same with LTC applicants.

Your LTC prints go to The State Identification Section and the AFIS there in Sudbury operated by the MSP. The FBI operates IAFIS in West Virgina. Your local PD does not run the prints and compare them, the SIS does. Also too, since you are a civil applicant, your prints will not be stored in the criminal data base section of the SIS AFIS, which means each time a criminal set of prints are run, the firearms applicant data base is never included in the search.

mark056 (who spent 5 1/2 years running LTC applicant prints thru AFIS)

Your LTC prints go to The State Identification Section and the AFIS there in Sudbury operated by the MSP. The FBI operates IAFIS in West Virgina. Your local PD does not run the prints and compare them, the SIS does. Also too, since you are a civil applicant, your prints will not be stored in the criminal data base section of the SIS AFIS, which means each time a criminal set of prints are run, the firearms applicant data base is never included in the search.

mark056 (who spent 5 1/2 years running LTC applicant prints thru AFIS)

Come on, I was pretty close[grin]. Sorry about VA vs. WVA - no offense to all those from VA!

Hello all!

Anyone know of a place where I can get a 10 print card done for my VAF application? The package arrived in the mail yesterday and upon doing some searches of places to get it done, nobody is willing to do it. Not sure if its just these corrupt communists police departments or what, but Peabody police won't do it and the Danvers state police won't either. So anyone in the Northshore area ever had to get a set done and can give me a lead?
Oh yeah do you think that the goal info will get updated after the meeting today for the new gun laws?
Thanks charles.

Because of this process I have a friend that was going for his permit but once he found out he will be fingerprinted he refuses to obtain his permit. I wish I could talk some sense into him.

this has nothing to do about anything but this made me recall the old days when one had to do a fresh set of prints every renewal. in my city you had to call for an appointment and only the detectives did it for some reason. and they only did 'em on like wednesdays and thursdays and there was a 15 minute window for the day and they'd shut it off. like 9:15 to 9:30am or it might be 11:10 ti 11:25am. crazy scheduling. i remember times getting say, wed at 9:18am. not making this up, and i'd get there and they would have 10-12 people waiting for prints in the station lobby. of course they could maybe do 2 sets, maybe 3 if they hustled in that 15 minute time slot. so the rest were rescheduled. and every time i got to where i was gonna get the prints done, i'd go in and the detective division was out on a case they'd tell me. what case? we had no real f***ing crime in those days. coffee run was my guess. and of course you had to take time off of work. i lived close enough i could leave and come back but some guys had to blow off the day. and you never were guaranteed you'd get it done and you had to come back...and back...and back until you scored. we finally got a dedicated renewal division years later that made a difference.

Because of this process I have a friend that was going for his permit but once he found out he will be fingerprinted he refuses to obtain his permit. I wish I could talk some sense into him.
He probably knows/thinks that his prints are in the FBI hall of fame. Jack.

Back in the 'ink' days there were booking officers and detectives that did prints. In my experience. I believe it had to do with training and position/job justification.

Back
Top Bottom