• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms class about NH gun laws?

Hey guys,

Before I get flamed for asking, I want you to know I'm a MA resident so I have to be on the 'paranoid' side of things when it comes to gun laws. I'm thinking of moving to NH and know very little about the gun laws in the state. Many will say "what gun laws" but since I'm a Ma**h***, I'm not familiar with a free state. Can someone direct me to where I can find the basic rules about gun laws in NH or better yet is there a gun law class available? I'm assuming no classes are available given how relaxed the laws are. If someone knows of a good website with the basics, please pass it along.

Thanks,
JonesUMD

Not necessary. All the gun laws in NH outside of the game regs fit on two pieces of paper. If you are capable of reading it doesn't take much. They literally are that simple. The only thing really regulated is carrying loaded handguns, which is doable with an NH license if you need to conceal it or to carry said loaded handgun in a vehicle. That, and at least so far, you cannot have a loaded long gun stored in a vehicle. Unloaded anything is free by default, no licenses required. No licenses required for open carry of a loaded handgun (while not in a vehicle).

FWIW GONH has a gun law FAQ here that is mostly correct: (And overkill for 99.9% of all situations, most of this FAQ covers stuff you won't ever have to deal with. )
http://gonh.org/uploads/images/65/FAQ_3-19-10-7-27-10.pdf

-Mike

Last edited:
it is pretty simple, spend 100 bucks for a non resident permit and carry concealed, carry loaded in your car.

don't spend any money, open carry loaded, CCW unloaded, carry unloaded in your car.

that pretty much covers it

with permit: CCW/loaded transport

no permit: loaded open carry only, no loaded weapons allowed to be concealed or transported

Here are the laws for conceal carry and the laws relating to the use of deadly force:

CHAPTER 159: PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-mrg.htm

CHAPTER 627: JUSTIFICATION
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/LXII/627/627-mrg.htm

As Drgrant said, no license is required to own ANY firearm, resident or non-resident.

If you want to get an idea of the NH gun laws from a class just take an NRA basic pistol and basic rifle and NRA Personal protection in the home, and outside the home class at any NH gun range that offers classes.

But the laws are pretty self explanatory so your best bet is to read the above RSA's and if you have specific questions consult an attorney such as the one in my sig or Penny Dean. You can ask us here on NES but we are not lawyers so any advice we give, while most likely correct, is not legal advice and interpretation.

The most important thing to remember is, leave all of the Mass bullshit on that side of the border when you come over. Don't need it or want it here.

The most important thing to remember is, leave all of the Mass bullshit on that side of the border when you come over. Don't need it or want it here.

This, and please forget everything you might assume or infer about NH's gun laws, because it's probably wrong. Commie states like MA, NY, NJ, etc are on a completely different planet legally, that isn't even in the same universe. [laugh]

-Mike

This, and please forget everything you might assume or infer about NH's gun laws, because it's probably wrong. Commie states like MA, NY, NJ, etc are on a completely different planet legally, that isn't even in the same universe. [laugh]

-Mike

Amen to that!

LOL

To answer JonesUMD's original question, go ahead and move up here, living in Mass has made you paranoid.

The applicable RSAs are mostly plain English and brief, as would be a class on the topic.

If someone were to offer a 1 hour NH Gun Law class, what would they do with the last 55 minutes??

Seriously, it probably wouldn't take 5 minutes to go over all the pertinent points in NH gun laws.

If someone were to offer a 1 hour NH Gun Law class, what would they do with the last 55 minutes??

Seriously, it probably wouldn't take 5 minutes to go over all the pertinent points in NH gun laws.

A. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A LICENSE RECOGNIZED BY NH:
1. Do not carry a handgun that is both loaded and concealed.
2. Do not carry a loaded handgun in a vehicle.
3. Do not carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
4. Do not carry a gun where prohibited (see Item "C", below).

B. IF YOU DO HAVE A LICENSE RECOGNIZED BY NH:
1. Do not carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
2. Do not carry a gun where prohibited (see Item "C" below).

C. PLACES WHERE FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED
1. Courthouses.
2. There is no "2".

Of course, we're talking state law. Federal law prohibits carry in "federal facilities", meaning buildings where federal employees work. Military bases will have their own DoD restrictions. Let's not even get into the whole "gun free school zone" can of worms...

Back
Top Bottom