• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Firearms storage while in temporary housing situation

Hey everyone,

As I've posted about before, my wife and I are moving from our red city and are still in the process of finding a home in a nice green town. With that said, we already sold our home because we got an offer we couldn't refuse. The new owner is letting us stay until the end of May, then we need to be out.

If we don't find a place/can't move in to our new place by that date, we'll probably do a short term apartment lease or AirBNB with a furnished unit. All of our possessions except for clothing would go into storage with a moving company. What should I do with my firearms? Right now I've got a very full cabinet and a few locked ammo cans.

Do I have to have them all of them in the place I'm living or can they be in a self-storage or mover's warehouse type thing? What's the recommended thing to do in this situation?

Thanks!

I am pretty sure you can put them in a self-storage unit without any problem. I would go with one that has temperature/climate control to reduce the possibility of rust. Look at the rental agreements though, some prohibit ammo.... but what they don't know...etc.

I am pretty sure you can put them in a self-storage unit without any problem. I would go with one that has temperature/climate control to reduce the possibility of rust. Look at the rental agreements though, some prohibit ammo.... but what they don't know...etc.

This. The agreements also prohibit guns, but again what they don't know won't hurt you.

I did this while my house was being renovated. With contractors all over the place, I rented a unit and stored the guns (and lots of other stuff) there until the project was completed. I'd do it again if needed.

If you're nervous about your toys ending up on Storage Wars, a friend with appropriate license can hold them for you, if they have the room.

BTDT. Had the friend storing guns with me FA-10 them just in case.

It's been 25 years since he left MA. I'm still waiting for the call "I want my AR15 and 1911". Of course, the case of ammo he left is long gone :)

If you're nervous about your toys ending up on Storage Wars, a friend with appropriate license can hold them for you, if they have the room.

If you pay the bill that doesn't happen!

BTDT. Had the friend storing guns with me FA-10 them just in case.

It's been 25 years since he left MA. I'm still waiting for the call "I want my AR15 and 1911". Of course, the case of ammo he left is long gone :)

Hmm, wouldn't happen to be a big dude who likes horses and now lives in the SouthWest would it (CDT)?

You can try asking any FFL's in your area and see what they charge. A storage unit is perfectly fine as well. If you plan on buying a storage unit then you might as well throw the guns in there as well.If all else fails or you don't feel comfortable with a storage unit I would be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks everyone for the advice. My realtor gave me the recommendation for a moving company that does storage too. I'll vet them and decide if the firearms get separate treatment.

Good idea to ask a friend though...

NOT!...I know people in that industry....Don't do it...nuff said....Keep them at a friends house, locked and you have the key. Forget the self storage idea. I'm in the process of building, and running, a ss facility and you don't want them there! They are also not welcomed there. I have also been on the other side and bid on a self storage unit where there were firearms in it...It's a pain....Even if you think you will pay the bill, don't do it...You can have a life changing event, OR the self storage company can mix your unit up with another and sell it off...(unlikely, but possible).....Leave them with a friend.....AND you have MANY friends here that would help....

Thanks everyone for the advice. My realtor gave me the recommendation for a moving company that does storage too. I'll vet them and decide if the firearms get separate treatment.

Good idea to ask a friend though...

NOT!...I know people in that industry....Don't do it...nuff said....Keep them at a friends house, locked and you have the key. Forget the self storage idea. I'm in the process of building, and running, a ss facility and you don't want them there! They are also not welcomed there. I have also been on the other side and bid on a self storage unit where there were firearms in it...It's a pain....Even if you think you will pay the bill, don't do it...You can have a life changing event, OR the self storage company can mix your unit up with another and sell it off...(unlikely, but possible).....Leave them with a friend.....AND you have MANY friends here that would help....

Huh, good inside baseball comment. Maybe someone from here is a better idea. FA-10 isn't required since not changing ownership right?

I did this for a friend and fellow member of this board recently while he transitioned to a new home. I didn't have space in my safe so he brought over a metal "job box" type container. He had the keys to the locks. I simply gave him a safe place to store them.

I'm sure you could find a friend to do the same for you.

Good luck.

Of course the storage facilities and movers don't "want" them. Doesn't make it illegal to store them there and they have no right to sift thru your stuff to see what you store (assuming ss) anyway. If it is in a interior climate-controlled facility with cameras, it will be about as secure as you can get. I bought the lock (circular Masterlock) and had the only key to the unit. Moved the guns in wrapped in tarps so nothing visible to the cameras.

I moved the stuff out in 2001 and canceled the storage unit after that but the cost back then was only ~$80/month and I had it auto-billed to my credit card. Nothing to forget and the day that "I fall on such hard times" that I can't afford $80/month I couldn't even fathom. Likewise the thought that they could "mix up" units and sell mine is also unfathomable to me if you are dealing with a large, reputable chain of storage facilities. I was also in and out of there with some regularity and the OP isn't making it sound like he's locking stuff up and leaving it there for years and years, probably a few months.

And what makes you think that random forum member "friends" are a more reliable place to leave them. Any "friend" who gets an RO, all the OP's guns are gone to a bonded warehouse too!!!

You could always call Village Vault and ask them. I hear that they have very reasonable storage fees and are a pleasure to deal with. [emoji33] [emoji3]

Hmm...so just thinking of another situation. What would happen if one had some firearms on consignment with an FFL and said FFL got jammed up for something?

Hmm, wouldn't happen to be a big dude who likes horses and now lives in the SouthWest would it (CDT)?
Negative. CDT is *FAR"* too smart to ever abandon his guns. It's a former co-worker from Prime Computer who moved to NJ and would send for the guns via FFL to FFL transfer once he got his NJ paperwork. Never heard from him. I would have sold them and sent him the $$ if he asked. It was convenient when I needed a "standard configuration" AR for an armorer's course.

Last edited:
Hmm...so just thinking of another situation. What would happen if one had some firearms on consignment with an FFL and said FFL got jammed up for something?

A lot of times the dealers inventory gets sent to another dealer to ameliorate this problem, course you're then at their mercy.

Sorry...Should have read.......AND you have MANY friends here that would help....[smile][rofl]

But I'd still keep them at a friends house

Of course the storage facilities and movers don't "want" them. Doesn't make it illegal to store them there and they have no right to sift thru your stuff to see what you store (assuming ss) anyway. If it is in a interior climate-controlled facility with cameras, it will be about as secure as you can get. I bought the lock (circular Masterlock) and had the only key to the unit. Moved the guns in wrapped in tarps so nothing visible to the cameras.

I moved the stuff out in 2001 and canceled the storage unit after that but the cost back then was only ~$80/month and I had it auto-billed to my credit card. Nothing to forget and the day that "I fall on such hard times" that I can't afford $80/month I couldn't even fathom. Likewise the thought that they could "mix up" units and sell mine is also unfathomable to me if you are dealing with a large, reputable chain of storage facilities. I was also in and out of there with some regularity and the OP isn't making it sound like he's locking stuff up and leaving it there for years and years, probably a few months.

And what makes you think that random forum member "friends" are a more reliable place to leave them. Any "friend" who gets an RO, all the OP's guns are gone to a bonded warehouse too!!!

So what about your change of address? So you have 30 days, but if you're renting for more than 30 (or even less than 30 for that matter), do you have to do the change of address process for the temporary town you rent in? I imagine the answer is yes, right?

So what about your change of address? So you have 30 days, but if you're renting for more than 30 (or even less than 30 for that matter), do you have to do the change of address process for the temporary town you rent in? I imagine the answer is yes, right?

I would imagine I would need to submit a change of address to all 3 recipients for EVERY change of address, no matter how brief. It would be great if MA had some kind of minimum on the length of residence before requiring a formal change of address, but I'm sure they'd find a way to **** it up.

I would imagine I would need to submit a change of address to all 3 recipients for EVERY change of address, no matter how brief. It would be great if MA had some kind of minimum on the length of residence before requiring a formal change of address, but I'm sure they'd find a way to **** it up.

I am actually going to be going through a very similar thing this spring. My house is selling before my new house is ready. So I will be with the in-laws for somewhere between 2 - 6 weeks..... pray for me. And to make things interesting, I am moving from a Green town, temporarily to a Red (in-laws), finally landing in a new Green town. And did I mention that I am due for a renewal by October? Which shouldn't be an issue because i should be in my new Green town by beginning of the summer...but still, a lot of certified letters to write in a relatively short amount of time. Spending any length of time in a Red town makes me feel icky.

Bringing this back from the dead...I am in this situation now where I am closing soon and will have to rent. I am super anal about things like humidity, rust, etc. and I am having a hard time feeling "good" about options for temporary storage. In the climate controlled storage units I assume the environmentals are controlled centrally and you are at their mercy?

Sorry you are over-thinking it. I did this for 1+ years at an Extra Storage facility. It is totally climate controlled and probably better monitored than your or my home.

Not every facility is this good, mine was an old mill building converted to storage. Things that look like a huge garage with 100 doors wouldn't give me that same level of confidence however no matter how well they advertised "climate controlled". There are plenty out there to choose from.

There is at least one self-storage facility that does not prohibit firearms.
Heritage Stor-U-Self... Just off 95 in Portsmouth about 10 mins from Mass border.

http://www.storuself.com/self_storag...f_storage/5636

Quote Originally Posted by freedom2012 View Post

I own two storage facilities in NH, one is just over the Mass border off of 95. We don't prohibit firearms and we don't ask what you are storing (unless you buy insurance from us over for over $5000 in value protection, but firearms are allowed). What we would not want is ammunition. No explosives, volatile materials. However, it does not seem CT banned ammunition so you could keep that home. We have climate controlled units that offer heat and dehumidification. We have some smaller units like 5x5 that could hold a nice sized collection. PM me if interested. Also might want to move yourself to NH. We need more anti-moonbats up here.

Nobody storing firearms in a storage unit should care what the rental "policies" are on what they want. It's not law and guns don't explode! [Ammo and other flammables are another story.]

People worry too much. When I did it, it was against "policy", but my insurance company that covered firearms was good with it and that is all that really mattered.

Back
Top Bottom